Connect with us

National News

2023: APC postpones sale of nomination forms indefinitely

Published

on

2023: APC postpones sale of nomination forms indefinitely

2023: APC postpones sale of nomination forms indefinitely

The sale of expression of interest and nomination forms for electoral positions in the All Progressives Congress, earlier slated for today (Saturday), has been postponed.

This is because the contractor responsible for printing the forms did not deliver them at the agreed time.

After the party’s National Executive Committee meeting on Wednesday, the National Publicity Secretary, Felix Morka, announced that the APC would begin selling the nomination and EoI forms on Saturday.

However, at the close of business on Friday, the APC Directorate of Organisation had not received the forms.

READ ALSO: UN Chief To Meet With Russian, Ukrainian Presidents Next Week

The report gathered that the party had not yet perfected its procedures for the sale of the forms and the primary elections are slated to run from May 18 to June 1, 2022.

Speaking to our correspondent on Friday, a top party source, who asked not to be mentioned, said no new date had been fixed for the sale of forms.

The source stated, “The sale of forms earlier slated for tomorrow (Saturday) has been postponed. No date has been fixed for the commencement of the exercise. The NWC will determine the new date on Monday.

“The postponement became necessary following the inability of the contractor to deliver the forms. As we talk now (Friday evening), the printer has yet to deliver the forms. We hope the exercise will commence next week as the contractor is expected to deliver by the weekend.”

Meanwhile, the six directors of the APC at Buhari House have been directed to embark on a compulsory leave beginning from Friday.

This is part of plans by the National Working Committee to “reorganise the national secretariat.”

Among those affected by the new instruction is the head of the party’s legal department.

According to a letter dated April 21, 2022, and signed by the National Secretary, Dr Iyiola Omisore, all the directors are to hand over their departments to the most senior officials below them.

This decision is in line with the recommendation of the Transition Committee set up by Senator Abdullahi Adamu-led NWC three weeks ago.

Newsmen had on April 1, 2022, reported that the Chairman of the APC, Abdullahi Adamu, hinted at his intention to probe the national secretariat as well as the directors.

Adamu said this after receiving his certificate of return from the National Convention Election Committee led by Jigawa State Governor, Muhammad Badaru.

Speaking to party officials at the time, he said, “I am a team player and as much as possible, I want to carry everybody along. We will definitely, by the will of God Almighty, need to look at the secretariat, but I’m not saying anything today until the transition committee submits its report.”

An impeccable party source revealed that the new move was part of efforts by the NWC to reorganise the secretariat.

When contacted for his comments on the development, the National Publicity Secretary of the party, Felix Morka, did not take his calls and had not responded to text messages sent to him as of the time of filing this report.

In another development, the party has assured aspirants, who honoured its consensus arrangement by stepping down during last month’s national convention, of the refund of their form fees.

The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), after a meeting with chairmanship aspirants of the APC shortly before the convention directed the party to refund the form fees to those stepping down for Adamu.

On the convention ground in the late hours of Saturday, March 26, 2022, the chairman of the election committee, Badaru, announced that all aspirants to various offices who stepped down for their respective consensus candidates would be refunded their form fees.

In an interview with our correspondent on Thursday, Morka had assured the aspirants that their money would be refunded once the transition committee was done with its job.

“We are a responsible party and we will stick with our promise to return all the money to the aspirants who stepped down. But at the moment, there is a process going on being handled by the transition committee. When that is done, we will make the refund,” he had said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

Published

on

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Four Nigerian soldiers have sustained injuries in a vehicle accident on the Mambilla Plateau in Taraba State.

The accident occurred on Thursday while the troops were moving across the mountainous terrain of the area, Zagazola reports.

The Emir of Mambilla, Dr. Shehu Audu Baju, was said to have personally joined in the rescue operation to ensure that the soldiers received prompt assistance.

Following the rescue, the injured personnel were evacuated to the 20 Battalion Barracks in Serti for urgent medical care.

Community members and traditional leaders in the area have expressed sympathy and prayed for the speedy recovery of the soldiers, while also calling for the safety of other security operatives on duty.

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

Continue Reading

National News

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

Published

on

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

By: Michael Mike

The United Kingdom Nigeria Infrastructure Advisory Facility (UKNIAF), in partnership with the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF) have wrapped up a major national initiative to support State-led electricity market reforms.

The State Learning Workshop Series focused on Electricity Market Development, Integrated Resource Planning (IRP) and energy modelling software.

Workshops in Lagos, Calabar, Kano and Jos have been successfully completed, drawing participants from all the 36 States and the FCT and setting a strong precedent for what lies ahead.

These sessions equipped policymakers, regulators and stakeholders with the tools to design robust, sustainable and investor-ready electricity markets at the State level, in line with the provisions of the Electricity Act 2023.

Reflecting on the significance of this initiative, the Director-Legal/Head Power Desk at the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, Mr. Chijioke Chuku,, stated that: “Nigeria’s electricity future depends on the capacity of our States to lead with vision, clarity, and technical precision. Through the workshop series, we are equipping States not just with knowledge, but with the confidence to take charge of their electricity markets. The NGF is proud to partner with UKNIAF in ensuring that the promise of the Electricity Act 2023 becomes a lived reality across the country.”

The sessions in the State Learning Workshops covered: The legal and regulatory pathways for setting up State Electricity Markets; Commercial models for private sector investment; Integration of State plans into Nigeria’s National IRP;

Practical training on the software platform for energy modelling.

The initiative drew from lessons learned in the course of UKNIAF’s work supporting the Akwa Ibom, Enugu, and Oyo State Governments—early movers in electricity market development—in setting up their markets.

It also drew from experience gained in the course of UKNIAF providing technical support to the Federal Ministry of Power in drafting both the National Integrated Electricity Policy and Nigeria’s first National Integrated Resource Plan, both of which were approved very recently.

With States now empowered by the Electricity Act 2023, this series is a timely and strategic effort to ensure capacity, coordination, and sustainability in Nigeria’s decentralised energy landscape.

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

Continue Reading

National News

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

Published

on

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

By: Zagazola Makama

Armed bandits have killed three persons and injured three others in an attack on Galadi town, Shinkafi Local Government Area of Zamfara.

Sources confirmed the incident saying the attack occurred at about 10:50 p.m. on Aug. 27.

The sources said the bandits stormed the town, shooting sporadically, which resulted in the deaths and injuries.

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were mobilised to the scene. The corpses and injured victims were evacuated to Galadi Primary Health Care Centre for autopsy and treatment.

Meanwhile, a manhunt for the fleeing culprits has been intensified, as the bandits escaped before the arrival of the joint forces,” the sources said.

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights