Connect with us

National News

2023: I am yet to decide, just watch out – Jonathan

Published

on

2023: I am yet to decide, just watch out - Jonathan

2023: I am yet to decide, just watch out – Jonathan

Former President Goodluck Jonathan says he is yet to decide whether or not to yield to pressure from different groups urging him to contest the 2023 presidential election.

He said this on Friday in Abuja when his committee of friends and some youths from across the country visited him at his Foundation office in Maitama, Abuja.

Jonathan said the visits, especially by the youth, particularly showed that they were clearly interested in the political affairs of the country.

He urged them to be interested and be key players in the country’s politics to enthrone good governance.

“As youths, we must get involved in the country’s political process and luckily the law of  `Not too Young to Run’ bill has made it clear that youths can contest almost every position in government.

READ ALSO: 2023 Presidential Election: Group Urges Ex-COAS Amb. Buratai To Join Race

“We will continue to encourage youths to get involved in the country’s political process.

“And as long as many youths get involved in the political process, we will be able to get the government we want,’’ he said.

Jonathan expressed optimism that with youth involvement in politics, the enthronement of good government would effectively address the country’s current challenges as possible.

He, however, said that though some of the country’s present challenges went way back but could be dealt with from a united front.

On whether he would declare for the 2023 presidential election, Jonathan said the political process was ongoing.

“Yes, you are calling me to come and declare for the 2023 presidency, yes I can’t tell you are declaring, that the political process is ongoing, just watch out.

“But the key role you must play is to pray that Nigeria gets a president that will carry the young people along and work very hard to see that some of the country’s problems raised are dealt with.

“I believe that collectively, we can work together,’’ he said.

Mr Mayor Samuel, leader of Youth Compatriots of Nigeria, while speaking with newsmen at the event, said youths were prepared to support Jonathan to ensure that he emerged as the country’s next president in 2023.

He decried the spate of insecurity in parts of the country and the dwindling economy, saying there was a need to address the situation.

According to him, the Nigeria Peoples Party is ready to give Jonathan its presidential ticket to contest the 2023 presidential election.

He said the party though not registered yet, belonged to the downtrodden, adding that any party that gave its presidential ticket to Jonathan would be supported by all Nigerians.

“The secret to good governance is what Nigeria requires at the moment, Jonathan had been tested and proven and we are ready to follow him,’’ he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Coalition of Northern Youths and other youth and women groups from across the federation were part of the visit.

NAN also reports that the youth were chanting ‘run Goodluck run ‘ and they were also seen holding placards that read ‘ declare now, Goodluck, you must run ‘ you are wasting our time declare now’ among other descriptions.

Mr Jonathan Akumobi one of the youth leaders said that they came to compel Jonathan to run because they believed in his capabilities, given his past experience.

Akumobi said that a lot of challenges being experienced in all sectors required an experienced hand like Jonathan to tackle.

“We are tired of the killings, of the insecurity, our schools are closed because of the strike, the national grid has been collapsing, everything in Nigeria is challenged.

“The prices of food items have gone up, during Jonathan’s administration, we were buying a bag of rice for N7,000, today it is N35,000; we need Jonathan back to help return to the good old days because we are tired of the excuses.’’

Another speaker, Mr Ibrahim Saki said they were calling on Jonathan to run so he could rescue the country.

“We need Jonathan to turn things around, we need him back to tackle all the things that have gone bad in the country.

“Please we need you back, Nigerians are tired please come back and continue your good luck, we are sorry for all the things we said and did then,’’ he said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

Published

on

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Four Nigerian soldiers have sustained injuries in a vehicle accident on the Mambilla Plateau in Taraba State.

The accident occurred on Thursday while the troops were moving across the mountainous terrain of the area, Zagazola reports.

The Emir of Mambilla, Dr. Shehu Audu Baju, was said to have personally joined in the rescue operation to ensure that the soldiers received prompt assistance.

Following the rescue, the injured personnel were evacuated to the 20 Battalion Barracks in Serti for urgent medical care.

Community members and traditional leaders in the area have expressed sympathy and prayed for the speedy recovery of the soldiers, while also calling for the safety of other security operatives on duty.

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

Continue Reading

National News

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

Published

on

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

By: Michael Mike

The United Kingdom Nigeria Infrastructure Advisory Facility (UKNIAF), in partnership with the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF) have wrapped up a major national initiative to support State-led electricity market reforms.

The State Learning Workshop Series focused on Electricity Market Development, Integrated Resource Planning (IRP) and energy modelling software.

Workshops in Lagos, Calabar, Kano and Jos have been successfully completed, drawing participants from all the 36 States and the FCT and setting a strong precedent for what lies ahead.

These sessions equipped policymakers, regulators and stakeholders with the tools to design robust, sustainable and investor-ready electricity markets at the State level, in line with the provisions of the Electricity Act 2023.

Reflecting on the significance of this initiative, the Director-Legal/Head Power Desk at the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, Mr. Chijioke Chuku,, stated that: “Nigeria’s electricity future depends on the capacity of our States to lead with vision, clarity, and technical precision. Through the workshop series, we are equipping States not just with knowledge, but with the confidence to take charge of their electricity markets. The NGF is proud to partner with UKNIAF in ensuring that the promise of the Electricity Act 2023 becomes a lived reality across the country.”

The sessions in the State Learning Workshops covered: The legal and regulatory pathways for setting up State Electricity Markets; Commercial models for private sector investment; Integration of State plans into Nigeria’s National IRP;

Practical training on the software platform for energy modelling.

The initiative drew from lessons learned in the course of UKNIAF’s work supporting the Akwa Ibom, Enugu, and Oyo State Governments—early movers in electricity market development—in setting up their markets.

It also drew from experience gained in the course of UKNIAF providing technical support to the Federal Ministry of Power in drafting both the National Integrated Electricity Policy and Nigeria’s first National Integrated Resource Plan, both of which were approved very recently.

With States now empowered by the Electricity Act 2023, this series is a timely and strategic effort to ensure capacity, coordination, and sustainability in Nigeria’s decentralised energy landscape.

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

Continue Reading

National News

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

Published

on

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

By: Zagazola Makama

Armed bandits have killed three persons and injured three others in an attack on Galadi town, Shinkafi Local Government Area of Zamfara.

Sources confirmed the incident saying the attack occurred at about 10:50 p.m. on Aug. 27.

The sources said the bandits stormed the town, shooting sporadically, which resulted in the deaths and injuries.

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were mobilised to the scene. The corpses and injured victims were evacuated to Galadi Primary Health Care Centre for autopsy and treatment.

Meanwhile, a manhunt for the fleeing culprits has been intensified, as the bandits escaped before the arrival of the joint forces,” the sources said.

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights