Connect with us

News

30 Seconds Biometric Clearance at Nigeria’s International Airports Begin in March-Tunji-Ojo

Published

on

30 Seconds Biometric Clearance at Nigeria’s International Airports Begin in March-Tunji-Ojo

By: Michael Mike

All International airports in Nigeria will now have 30 seconds biometric clearance gates in line with international standards and best practices.

The Federal Government installed the facilities for the Nigeria Immigration Service, (NIS), at all international airports in the country.

The biometric gates have the capacity to screen and clear a passenger within 30 seconds without any interface or contacts with Immigration personnel.

When inaugurated, it would provide seamless clearance services for passengers entering the country through any of the International airports.

Speaking to journalists after undertaking a tour of the biometric equipments installed at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, and the Command and Control Centre at the NIS Headquarters on Monday, the Minister of Interior, Dr Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo said the 30 seconds biometric clearance gates would be ready in Lagos, Portharcourt, Kano, Abuja and Enugu by March.

He said Lagos would have 17 gates, Abuja 10, Portharcourt and Kano 5 each and Enugu 4.

Tunji-Ojo while stating that the facilities would be a game changer for effective and efficient management of international passengers in the country, noted that the Advanced Passenger Information System (APIS), and the Commandant and Control Centre facilities had been integrated not just for seamless entry and exit for passengers, but to add another layer to the nation’s National Security Architecture.

The Minister who was conducted round the facilities by Comptroller of Immigration in Charge of the Abuja International Airport, Alhaji Mohammed Adamu, said whatever is happening within the airports domains would be seen real time at Command and Control Centre to enable security agencies monitor persons of interest entering the country.

The Minister also said:” I am impressed by the levels and pace of works I have seen here today. The facilities are about 70 percent ready. This means our border control management system is on track. It also means that the Nigeria Immigration Service is ready to contribute its qouta to the National Security Architecture.

“The efficiency of the services provided by the NIS determine whatever we see in our security outlook as a nation. All these are being done in line with global best practices and standards and in consonance with the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Tinubu to provide quality services to Nigerians.

“We have decided that the more the gates at the airports, the easier it would be for passengers to be cleared. And looking at the ones that have been tested, it is about 30 seconds for a passenger to clear, so I look at the solutions and the hardwares, and I think they are a top notch.

“I am happy with the quality of works and I am happy with the prospect of giving Nigerians the experience. And once it is completed Nigerians will no longer be at the mercy of Immigration officers whenever they arrive in the country.

“Once you check in you don’t need to have encounter with Immigration officers anymore except you are a person of interest. This facility is not just for you to pass at record time, no. It is also to secure the nation and add another layer to our National Security Architecture.

“If a person is a person of interest, he can easily be flagged. And this gives our Immigration support to be able to effectively do their jobs.”

30 Seconds Biometric Clearance at Nigeria’s International Airports Begin in March-Tunji-Ojo

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue

Published

on

Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of the Joint Task Force (JTF) Operation WHIRL STROKE have arrested suspects linked to cattle rustling in Benue State, following two separate security incidents in Guma Local Government Area.

Security sources said that on Feb. 15, troops responded to an attack on herders at Amua Village, located between Daudu and Umenger/Ukpiam. The attack left one herder dead, while another sustained gunshot wounds and was evacuated to Keana in neighbouring Nasarawa State for urgent medical attention. The remains of the deceased were handed over to community representatives for burial according to local customs.

In a related operation on the same day, troops stationed at Ukpiam acted on intelligence provided by vigilant youths concerning suspected cattle rustling. The troops arrested a 23-year-old suspect, Terngu Aondohemba, who reportedly confessed to killing two cattle belonging to Fulani herders. He also implicated two accomplices, Akpehe and Ashinge, who are still at large.

Further investigation led security operatives to Korje Village in Daudu, where Mrs. Mercy Onban, wife of the alleged buyer of the stolen meat, was apprehended along with the recovered meat exhibits. Both suspects remain in custody pending further investigation.

The Force Commander of the Joint Task Force, Major General Moses Gara, condemned the attacks and criminality, affirming the commitment of Operation WHIRL STROKE to halting killings and cattle rustling in the Joint Operations Area.

He urged community leaders to strengthen collaboration with security agencies, stressing that timely intelligence sharing is critical to restoring lasting peace. Major General Gara also reassured law-abiding residents of the strong resolve of the Joint Task Force to protect lives and property across the region.

Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue

Continue Reading

News

Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception

Published

on

Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception

By: Zagazola Makama

The Federal Government has charged former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, before the Federal High Court, Abuja, over alleged unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

Court documents showed that El-Rufai, 65, appeared as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme on Feb. 13, 2026, where he reportedly admitted to involvement in the interception and to knowing individuals who carried out the act without reporting them to security agencies.

The charges, filed under TABU DET CR/99/2026, include: Count One, Allegedly admitting during the television interview that he and his associates unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, contrary to Section 12 (1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count Two, Allegedly stating that he knew individuals who unlawfully intercepted the same communications but failed to report them, in violation of Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024. Count Three, Allegedly using technical systems to compromise public safety and national security, and instilling apprehension among Nigerians, in breach of Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

The case, filed by a team of Federal Government lawyers led by ME Ernest, OM Owan, UM Bulla, CS Eze, and VE G. Orubor, is set to proceed with investigations and trial proceedings.

Authorities said the matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Abuja Judicial Division of the Federal High Court, where the accused will be required to respond to the charges.

The trial is expected to attract significant public attention given the high-profile nature of the accused and the sensitive security issues involved.

Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception

Continue Reading

News

Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna

Published

on

Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

A disagreement between youths over access to a graveyard escalated into violence on Monday in parts of Kaduna South area of Kaduna State, leaving several persons injured and two houses burnt.

Security sources said a distress call received at about 9:00 a.m. indicated that youths from Makera Village had gone to Ungwan Mission to clear bushes around an abandoned Muslim graveyard in an effort to reopen it.

During the exercise, a youth from Ungwan Mission was reportedly prevented from passing through the site, a development that led him to mobilise others from his community to confront those clearing the graveyard.

The confrontation degenerated into a free-for-all fight, during which some participants sustained injuries and were rushed to hospitals for treatment. Two houses were also set ablaze in Ungwan Mission, though no loss of life was recorded.

Authorities said an emergency stakeholders’ meeting was convened by the Kaduna State Government and led by the Speaker of the State House of Assembly.

The meeting was attended by the Commissioner for Internal Security, representatives of the police, military and Department of State Services (DSS), chairmen of Kaduna South and Chikun Local Government Areas, as well as leaders of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), youth leaders and other stakeholders.

Security agencies said efforts were ongoing to identify and arrest those involved in the violence, while measures had been put in place to prevent further breakdown of law and order in the area.

Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights