News
443 more Boko Haram surrender as death toll rises to 300 after clash with ISWAP
443 more Boko Haram surrender as death toll rises to 300 after clash with ISWAP
By: Zagazola Makama
At least 443 more Boko Haram terrorists and family members who escaped the week-long sustained massive attacks by the Islamic State of West Africa fighters in Borno State, North East Nigeria have surrendered to troops. This is as death toll on Boko Haram members following the ISWAP attack has risen to 300.
A total of 223 of the Boko Haram elements surrendered to the troops of Sector Multi National Joint Task Force(MNJTF) in Diffa and Gueskerou in the Republic of Niger between 7 to 10th March 2023.
Another 220 members Boko Haram surrendered to the troops of Operations Hadin Kai on March 10. They revealed that the ongoing rivalry between both factions had forced the need for them to escape to safer areas.

Since February 27, 2023, Boko Haram had been fleeing their enclaves amidst deadly attacks targeted at the groups in Gaizuwa, otherwise known as Mantari, Gabchari, Kashimiri, Maimusari in Bama, Yale in Konduga and Magumeri, by their former allies now turned bitter adversary.
In one of the attacks led by three notorious ISWAP Commanders, comprising Mallam Abubakar Maina, Qaed Malam Dahiru, Qaed Mallam Dahiru in Guzamala, over 200 Boko Haram militant jihadists, including their women and children were eliminated.
The onslaught against the group continued on the 8th March 2023, when more than 100 of them were killed in the fringes of Baga, Marte and Dikwa. This time, the terrorists targeted only the men, sparing their families.
Zagazola understands that the Government of the Republic of Niger through its Public Relations Information Directorate, said that the week was marked by displacement of several groups of families of terrorists leaving the SAMBISSA forest for Lake Chad on the Niger side.
The Director, Defence Media Operations of Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters, Maj.-Gen. Musa Danmadami, placed the number of surrendered Boko Haram members within the last two weeks at 1,332. This figures has increased in following days.
It is left to be seen how the deadly rivalry between Boko Haram and their erstwhile partners in battle, ISWAP, will shape the dynamics of the more than a decade-long bloody insurgency in the Lake Chad region.
443 more Boko Haram surrender as death toll rises to 300 after clash with ISWAP
News
Nigeria, Benin Share Common Destiny, Deepen Strategic Partnership – Shettima
Nigeria, Benin Share Common Destiny, Deepen Strategic Partnership – Shettima
By: Zagazola Makama
Vice-President Kashim Shettima has reaffirmed Nigeria’s commitment to strengthening bilateral relations with the Republic of Benin, describing both countries as partners bound by a “common destiny” rooted in history, trade and regional security.
Shettima stated this on Sunday in Cotonou during the inauguration of Benin’s President Romuald Wadagni, where he represented President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
The Vice-President said the Tinubu administration views the Nigeria–Benin relationship as strategic to regional integration and democratic stability in West Africa.
“Our presence here in Cotonou underlines President Tinubu’s unwavering, deep-seated commitment to strengthening ties with our neighbours,” he said.

Shettima noted that both countries share deep cultural, historical and economic ties that predate modern political boundaries, stressing that communities on both sides of the border remain closely connected.
“Our border with the Benin Republic stretches across nearly 600 kilometres, spanning six Nigerian states… We are essentially one people tied to a common destiny,” he added.
He said Nigeria and Benin must continue to work together to promote democratic governance, peace and economic prosperity within the ECOWAS sub-region.
“Because of this, we must show solidarity, empathy and active support toward strengthening democracy in West Africa,” he said.
The Vice-President disclosed that bilateral trade between both countries stands at about $2 billion annually, while an estimated five million Nigerians reside in Benin Republic.

He said both countries had strengthened cooperation in border security, trade facilitation, grassroots governance and ae development under regional integration frameworks.
Shettima recalled that Nigeria and Benin formalised a Memorandum of Understanding in August last year to enhance collaboration among border communities, local governments and traditional institutions in tackling cross-border crimes and boosting socio-economic development.
He said the arrangement had improved security coordination and commercial activities in border towns such as Seme, Igbokofi and Ilara, while enhancing opportunities for residents engaged in cross-border trade.

The Vice-President also referenced ongoing regional economic frameworks under the ECOWAS Trade Liberalisation Scheme and the Common External Tariff system, aimed at improving the business environment across member states.
He added that both countries continue to implement the ECOWAS protocol on free movement of persons, which allows citizens to stay within member states for up to 90 days without visa requirements.
According to him, these initiatives remain critical to strengthening regional integration and sustaining peace and prosperity in West Africa.
Nigeria, Benin Share Common Destiny, Deepen Strategic Partnership – Shettima
News
Troops Rescue INEC Official, Arrest Suspects After Election-Related Kidnapping Attempt in Cross River
Troops Rescue INEC Official, Arrest Suspects After Election-Related Kidnapping Attempt in Cross River
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops have rescued an official of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and arrested three suspects following a reported kidnapping and disruption of election-related activities in Yakurr Local Government Area of Cross River State.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:15 p.m. on May 22 when two groups of suspected kidnappers stormed the venue of ADC primary elections at Wummy Hotel, Ekori community.
According to the sources, one of the groups abducted the INEC returning officer, forced him into a vehicle, and compelled him to transfer ₦70,000 before fleeing the scene.
The second group, operating on a motorcycle, reportedly carted away ballot boxes from the venue.
Following intelligence on the incident, troops in Yakurr Local Government Area laid an ambush on the fleeing suspects, successfully intercepting the vehicle and rescuing the kidnapped INEC official.
Three suspects were arrested during the operation, while one armed suspect reportedly escaped into nearby bush with a pistol, a mobile phone, ATM card, travelling bag and other election materials.
The rescued official, arrested suspects and recovered vehicle are currently in military custody for further investigation and action.
Security forces have intensified efforts to track down the fleeing suspects and recover the stolen electoral materials.
Troops Rescue INEC Official, Arrest Suspects After Election-Related Kidnapping Attempt in Cross River
News
Troops Raid Suspected Cultists’ Hideout, Arrest Three in Enugu State
Troops Raid Suspected Cultists’ Hideout, Arrest Three in Enugu State
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of 103 Battalion, in collaboration with the Nigeria Police Force, have raided a suspected cultists’ hideout in Achi town, Oji River Local Government Area of Enugu State, arresting three suspects and recovering items believed to be linked to criminal activities.
Security sources disclosed that the operation was carried out at about 4:30 a.m. on May 23 following credible intelligence on the activities of suspected cultists and other criminal elements operating in the area.
According to the sources, the troops stormed a residential building suspected to be used as a hideout by the criminal group.
During the raid, three suspects were apprehended, while items recovered include eight motorcycles and two buckets of locally made gunpowder.
The suspects and recovered items were subsequently handed over to the Nigeria Police Force for further investigation and necessary action.
Security authorities have continued to intensify joint operations in Enugu State and surrounding areas to curb cult-related activities and other forms of violent crime.
Troops Raid Suspected Cultists’ Hideout, Arrest Three in Enugu State
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics12 months ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
