International
German govt. to implement ‘alarm level’ of gas emergency plan

German govt. to implement ‘alarm level’ of gas emergency plan
German Economy Minister, Robert Habeck will declare the alarm level of the country’s gas emergency plan on Thursday, due to an ongoing dispute with Russia, government sources said.
Utility companies would not yet be given the opportunity to increase their gas prices under the Energy Security Act, however, the sources said.
Habeck planned to make an announcement at 10 a.m. (0800 GMT), with his ministry saying only that the topic would be energy and security of supply.
The gas emergency plan had three levels: early warning level, alarm level and emergency level.
The alarm level meant that there was a disruption in the gas supply or an exceptionally high demand for gas that had led to a significant deterioration in the supply situation.
However, the market was still able to cope with this disruption.
The declaration was related to the dramatic reduction of Russian gas supplies through the Nord Stream 1 pipeline since last week, which German authorities said it was politically motivated.
Habeck had declared the early warning level at the end of March.
Germany was rushing to reduce its dependence on Russian energy as Moscow scaled back gas supplies to Western nations in what was seen as retaliation for sanctions imposed over the war in Ukraine.
Experts said that it was only a matter of time before Germany would be completely cut off from Russian energy, either through policy decisions or at the will of Russian, President Vladimir Putin.
German govt. to implement ‘alarm level’ of gas emergency plan
International
UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast

UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast
By: Michael Mike
The United Kingdom has expressed its commitment to the restoration of peace, stability and sustainable solutions to the troubled Northeast region which has been bedeviled by insurgency.
The British Deputy High Commissioner, Gill Atkinson made the commitment on Monday when she paid a courtesy call on Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum in Maiduguri.
Atkinson who commended Zulum for his commitment to fighting insurgency in Borno, said: “On behalf of the British Government, I recognise the effort of His Excellency, the Governor, in tackling insurgency and supporting the people of Borno State, particularly aiming to secure a prosperous future for the people displaced by insurgency.

“I want to reaffirm the UK’s commitment to supporting peace, stability and sustainable solutions, particularly through the ongoing regional stabilisation facility.”
Responding, the Secretary to Borno State Government who received the Deputy High Commissioner on behalf of Governor Zulum, expressed appreciation to the UK Government for their partnership and support.
He said,: “With the UK Government to start with, we have quite a number of very strong partnerships. His Excellency appreciates it, and he specifically instructed me to convey the special message of appreciation.”
The meeting was attended by the Commissioner for Environment, Engr Emet Kois, Education, Engr Lawan Abba Wakilbe, Work and Housing, Engr Mustapha Gubio, Transport and Energy, Aliyu Mohammed Bamanga and Inter-Governmental and Special Duties, Tukur Shani.
Others in attendance include Special Adviser on Security to the Governor, Abdullahi Ishaq, the Senior Technical Assistant, Political, to the Governor, Alhaji Tahiru Shettima, Permanent Secretary of political and cabinet, Danjuma Ali, and the Executive Secretary of Borno State Agency for Coordination of Sustainable Development and Humanitarian Response (BOACSDHR), Babakura Mamman Gadai.
UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast
Crime
Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi
By: Zagazola Makama
A swift response by the Nigerian troops in Kebbi has foiled a bandit attack on Dabai Town, forcing the assailants to flee after a gun battle with security operatives.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the attack occurred around 2 a.m. when suspected bandits attempted to invade the town.
“Security forces were immediately dispatched to intercept the assailants and engaged them in a fierce exchange of gunfire,” the source said. “Overwhelmed by superior firepower, the bandits abandoned their mission and escaped.”
While no casualties were reported, security operatives have intensified patrols in the area to prevent further attacks.
Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi
International
U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna

U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
The United States Mission in Nigeria has condemned the brutal killing of Reverend Father Sylvester Okechukwu in Kaduna State, describing it as a senseless act of violence.
In a statement posted on its official X (formerly Twitter) account, the U.S. Mission expressed deep distress over the incident and extended condolences to the family, congregation, and community of the late cleric.
“We strongly condemn this horrific act of violence. Our thoughts are with them during this time of profound grief,” the statement read.
The mission also called on Nigerian authorities to ensure that those responsible are brought to justice.
Father Okechukwu’s killing has sparked outrage and renewed calls for enhanced security measures, especially in regions affected by banditry and violent attacks.
The Kaduna State Police Command has yet to issue an official statement on the incident, but security agencies are reportedly investigating the circumstances surrounding his death.
U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics8 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident