International
EU Pledges €102.5 million in Humanitarian Funding fir Nigeria, 3 Other Lake Chad Region Countries

EU Pledges €102.5 million in Humanitarian Funding fir Nigeria, 3 Other Lake Chad Region Countries
By Michael Mike
The European Union has allocated €102.5 million in humanitarian aid to help vulnerable communities in Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon.
A statement on Tuesday said this becomes necessary as the humanitarian situation continues to deteriorate in the Lake Chad region.
The EU lamented that violence continued in the region, where the civilian population is increasingly the victim of targeted attacks, resulting in large-scale displacement, disruption of livelihoods and lack of access to basic services.
According to the statement, the pledge was made on the occasion of the High-Level Conference on the Lake Chad Region, held in Niamey on 23-24 January.
The total amount for 2023 will be distributed as follows: Nigeria (€34 million), Niger (€25 million), Chad (€26.5 million) and Cameroon (€17 million). The funding is part of the total €181.5 million allocated this year for the Lake Chad basin, the Central African Republic and the Sahel, as announced last week.
The EU Commissioner for Crisis Management, Janez Lenarčič who quoted to have an Monday that: “Over 24 million people in these four countries are estimated to need humanitarian assistance, an increase of 9.5% from last year. This funding will provide much needed support to vulnerable communities impacted by conflict, displacement and increasing food insecurity. As the region faces an unprecedented food crisis, we will continue to monitor the situation and to react with additional funding if necessary,”
According to the statement, the EU’s humanitarian aid in the Lake Chad region is targeted to providing life-saving assistance to people displaced by conflict and hosting communities; responding to the most acute food needs of households and communities affected by conflict and treating severe acute undernutrition in children under 5; giving access to healthcare to populations that are newly displaced or outside the reach of health authorities, and improving the access to safe water and sanitation.
It is also for supporting emergency education for displaced children and those in hard-to-reach areas; strengthening disaster preparedness (e.g. early warning systems and climate resilience actions).
The Lake Chad Basin remains amongst the most fragile regions in the world. It is affected by a combination of protracted humanitarian crises driven by conflicts and exacerbated by other factors such as food insecurity, chronic undernutrition, natural hazards, limited state presence, rapid demographic growth and the growing effects of climate change.
An unprecedented food crisis is ongoing, driven by conflict, a decline in agriculture production due to violence and climate change, and the soaring prices of food in global markets.
There is also violations of human rights and International Humanitarian Law (IHL) on the rise, hindering the action of humanitarian workers.
In 2022, the EU provided close to €189.5 million to support humanitarian interventions in the four countries of the region.
EU Pledges €102.5 million in Humanitarian Funding fir Nigeria, 3 Other Lake Chad Region Countries
International
UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast

UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast
By: Michael Mike
The United Kingdom has expressed its commitment to the restoration of peace, stability and sustainable solutions to the troubled Northeast region which has been bedeviled by insurgency.
The British Deputy High Commissioner, Gill Atkinson made the commitment on Monday when she paid a courtesy call on Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum in Maiduguri.
Atkinson who commended Zulum for his commitment to fighting insurgency in Borno, said: “On behalf of the British Government, I recognise the effort of His Excellency, the Governor, in tackling insurgency and supporting the people of Borno State, particularly aiming to secure a prosperous future for the people displaced by insurgency.

“I want to reaffirm the UK’s commitment to supporting peace, stability and sustainable solutions, particularly through the ongoing regional stabilisation facility.”
Responding, the Secretary to Borno State Government who received the Deputy High Commissioner on behalf of Governor Zulum, expressed appreciation to the UK Government for their partnership and support.
He said,: “With the UK Government to start with, we have quite a number of very strong partnerships. His Excellency appreciates it, and he specifically instructed me to convey the special message of appreciation.”
The meeting was attended by the Commissioner for Environment, Engr Emet Kois, Education, Engr Lawan Abba Wakilbe, Work and Housing, Engr Mustapha Gubio, Transport and Energy, Aliyu Mohammed Bamanga and Inter-Governmental and Special Duties, Tukur Shani.
Others in attendance include Special Adviser on Security to the Governor, Abdullahi Ishaq, the Senior Technical Assistant, Political, to the Governor, Alhaji Tahiru Shettima, Permanent Secretary of political and cabinet, Danjuma Ali, and the Executive Secretary of Borno State Agency for Coordination of Sustainable Development and Humanitarian Response (BOACSDHR), Babakura Mamman Gadai.
UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast
Crime
Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi
By: Zagazola Makama
A swift response by the Nigerian troops in Kebbi has foiled a bandit attack on Dabai Town, forcing the assailants to flee after a gun battle with security operatives.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the attack occurred around 2 a.m. when suspected bandits attempted to invade the town.
“Security forces were immediately dispatched to intercept the assailants and engaged them in a fierce exchange of gunfire,” the source said. “Overwhelmed by superior firepower, the bandits abandoned their mission and escaped.”
While no casualties were reported, security operatives have intensified patrols in the area to prevent further attacks.
Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi
International
U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna

U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
The United States Mission in Nigeria has condemned the brutal killing of Reverend Father Sylvester Okechukwu in Kaduna State, describing it as a senseless act of violence.
In a statement posted on its official X (formerly Twitter) account, the U.S. Mission expressed deep distress over the incident and extended condolences to the family, congregation, and community of the late cleric.
“We strongly condemn this horrific act of violence. Our thoughts are with them during this time of profound grief,” the statement read.
The mission also called on Nigerian authorities to ensure that those responsible are brought to justice.
Father Okechukwu’s killing has sparked outrage and renewed calls for enhanced security measures, especially in regions affected by banditry and violent attacks.
The Kaduna State Police Command has yet to issue an official statement on the incident, but security agencies are reportedly investigating the circumstances surrounding his death.
U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics8 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident