Connect with us

News

Palliatives: With Tinubu’s grant, Zulum raises target from 300,000 to 400,000 households 

Published

on

Palliatives: With Tinubu’s grant, Zulum raises target from 300,000 to 400,000 households 

By: Our Reporter

Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, on Tuesday, announced he was raising the number of households being targeted for palliatives from 300,000 to 400,000 households.

Each household will be made up of six family members to be multiplied by 400,000 which, by implication, moves Zulum’s new target to two million and four hundred thousand (2.4m) individuals. 

Governor Zulum had, on August 1, 2023, while launching a new phase of palliatives’ distribution, announced a target of 300,000 households each with six persons which will multiply to one million eight hundred thousand (1.8m) individuals. 

At the time Zulum announced the target, the presidency had not announced its intervention of N5 billion to each of the states. 

With the recent announcement of N5b intervention to states, Governor Zulum on Monday said he was raising his initial target by additional 100,000 households which will multiply to 600,000 individuals. 

“Today we are here to distribute palliative to 100,000 vulnerable households under the Presidential Initiative, this is in addition to the 300,000 households Borno State Government had rolled out early this month”, Zulum told journalists at former Bakasi IDPs camp, venue of the distribution exercise. 

He added, “You may recall that the federal government has announced N5b to all states and with that amount we intend to reach an additional 100,000 vulnerable families.”

The governor further explained that the Presidential Initiative is a collaboration between the FG, States and Local Governments.

The FG, he noted, is granting 52% of the total amount while the State and Local Governments will refund 48% of the amount.

Since July, Zulum accelerated palliatives to mitigate the impact of rising fuel prices on the lives of citizens. 

The palliatives were so far distributed at Gwoza, Kukawa, Jere and Maiduguri Metropolitan Council to thousands of families benefiting. The state’s deputy governor, Umar Usman Kadafur, on Monday, flagged off a similar distribution in Biu town. 

Meanwhile, Governor Zulum once again expressed gratitude to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his timely support to State Governments.  

Zulum noted that Nigerians in the long term will benefit from President Tinubu’s policies and programmes. 

He said the fuel subsidy removal despite the short-term difficulties is seen as a stepping stone towards broader economic reforms aimed at promoting sustainable development in Nigeria.

Palliatives: With Tinubu’s grant, Zulum raises target from 300,000 to 400,000 households 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.

The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.

Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.

Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights