News
Security: 646 Arrests Made Across National Parks – Conservator General
Security: 646 Arrests Made Across National Parks – Conservator General
By: Michael Mike
As the Federal Government continues to take step to keep the national parks safe and free of criminals, the National Park Service during the year 2023 has made 646 arrests across the country.
Addressing the media at the weekend on successes made in 2023, the Conservator General of the National Park Service, Dr. Ibrahim Goni gave the break down of the arrest to include 44 hunters, 222 grazers, 131 loggers, and 249 others, noting that these arrests were made in all the national parks, with Gashaka-Gumti recording the highest number.
He said in relation to banditry incidents, 37 suspects were apprehended in connection with mining/banditry in Old Oyo National Park, while Kainji Lake National Park arrested three suspected bandits and neutralized five others.
Goni added that four victims were rescued during these operations conducted within the year, and various items such as motorcycles, phones, and machetes were recovered.
He also revealed that a total of 646 cases were prosecuted in the National Parks during the year, with breakdown of the prosecution cases showing 161 convictions, 215 fines, 119 warnings and discharges, and 151 cases pending. Cross River and Gashaka-Gumti National Parks recorded the highest number of convictions.
The Conservator General also disclosed that total revenue generated for the Service from January to date stands at N83.2 million, noting that the revenue was derived from various sources, including ecotourism, compoundment, compensation, and others.
He said all revenue has been remitted to the Federal Government’s coffers
Goni said within the year, the National Park Service signed several Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) with different organisations, with the MoUs aim to support and strengthen the capacities of the National Park Service in addressing conservation challenges, disclosing that some of the organisations MOUs were signed with include the Safe Nature and Humanity Club, Sayari Dunia Sustainable Tourism Foundation, West African Conservation Network, and Sterling Oil Exploration & Energy Production Co. Ltd.
He noted that the signed MoUs have had a significant impact on park protection, capacity building, and support zone development.
He said within the year, the National Park Service collaborates with relevant stakeholders to combat wildlife trafficking in Nigeria, revealing that: “Seizures have been made, and efforts have been made to release live animals back into the wild. The Nigerian Customs Service recently confiscated 81 parrots among other bird species, galagos (bush babies) which were handed over to the National Park Service for rehabilitation and reintroduction to the wild. Additionally, the National Park Service has developed a policy document on combating wildlife and forest crime in Nigeria in collaboration with the United Nations Office for Drugs and Crime.”
Security: 646 Arrests Made Across National Parks – Conservator General
News
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.
The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.
Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.
Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
News
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.
The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.
During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.
The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.
Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
News
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.
Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.
The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.
During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.
He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.
Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.
Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
