Connect with us

Uncategorized

NHRC Asks Government to Stop Criminalizing Protest

Published

on

NHRC Asks Government to Stop Criminalizing Protest
…Condemns Use of Massive Force by Law Enforcement Against During #EndBadGovernance Protest

By: Michael Mike

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has asked the federal government and its law enforcement agencies to prepare for next protest rather than work at stopping it and criminalizing those organising the planned nationwide protest scheduled for October 1.

The Commission, while stating that protest is an expression of one of the human rights that is international recognized, insisted that since the government has been given enough notice, it is the duty of law enforcement agencies to ensure that strategies are put in place to prevent hoodlums do not hijack it and criminality is checked against during the period of the protest.

It also condemned the blatant use of force and disregard for the rights to peaceful protest and assembly, freedom of expression and other associated rights exhibited by law enforcement agencies during the #EndBadGovernance protest held across the country last month.

The Executive Secretary of the Commission, Tony Ojukwu who disclosed this on Friday, while presenting the human rights situation dashboard, lamented that the action of security and law enforcement agencies led to tragic incidents of violence and loss of lives.

He said, such actions represent a stark violation of the fundamental human rights of the Nigerian people, calling for unequivocal condemnation and justice.

According to the NHRC boss, who was represented at the event by his Special Assistant and the head of human rights monitoring of the Commission, Mr. Benedict Agu, the #EndBadGovernance protest was a bold expression of the masses’ demand for accountability and good governance.

Ojukwu,, said, the issue of displacement in the country is affecting countless individuals and communities adding that, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) reported that, about 208,655 persons have been displaced in 22 states this year already, a stark increase from 2023 numbers.

He said that: “It is therefore imperative that government takes immediate and sustainable actions to address this pressing issue, ensuring the protection and well-being of all those affected by displacement and taking steps to avert the effects of flooding and other sources of displacement”.

The NHRC boss said, the Commission’s monthly human rights dashboard serves as a critical tool in assessing the state of human rights in the country, providing invaluable insights and data that demands attention and action.

Presenting July and August, 2024 human rights assessment dashboard of the Commission, the Senior Human Rights Adviser to the Executive Secretary of the NHRC, Mr. Hillary Ogbona said, over 1, 200 people who participated in the #EndBadGovernance protest last month have so far been arrested and detained by security agencies across the country.

While the Commission lamented that some of the protesters have been charged to court, it however noted with grave concern that they were detained beyond the period allowed by law before been taken to court.

According to the dashboard, a total of 414, 200 complaints of human rights abuses were received by the Commission across the country in the last two months, insisting that protest is not a crime but a legitimate way of expressing grievance against unfavourable government policies and programmes.

Ogbona said: “Government should not attempt to stop protest but to guide it. At the same time, Government should not lump genuine protesters with criminals. You don’t arrest and detain people for protest.

“Looting and destruction of properties are not protest but act of criminalities which should not be regarded as part of peaceful protests.

“From this side, it is a fact that private and public properties were looted during the last protest and we hereby appealed to government to identify and evaluate the losses of victims for the purpose of supporting them, as some of the victims may not be able to rise again”, he added.

He appealed to Government to adopt human rights approach to lawful protest and that, Government should endeavour to look into the root cause of protests and discontents in the country, which he said may not be far from economic and political situation in the country.

The Commission also called on governments at all level to increase their capacity to protect lives and properties of the people.

He revealed that the Commission is monitoring the trial of the protesters in court, adding that, in charging them with treason, government must bring up believable evidences against them.

According to Ogbona, the Commission had, in the last two months, witnessed astronomical increase in mass killings, abductions, attacks on Police stations, attacks on press freedom, violation of the rights of association and assembly, killing of law enforcement and members of the Armed Forces, cases of violence against children, minors and child abandonment.

He said, between July and August, the Commission recorded a total of 365 cases of kidnapping, 340 killings, 4,300 cases of child abandonment and killings of 37 security and law enforcement agents adding further that, a total of 142 killings were recorded in Kaduna, 137 in in Benue, Katsina recorded 112 killings and 76 killings recorded in Plateau state.

NHRC Asks Government to Stop Criminalizing Protest

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Nigeria aims at strengthening conflict-sensitive climate adaptation

Published

on

Nigeria aims at strengthening conflict-sensitive climate adaptation

By: Michael Michael

The Federal Ministry of Environment, through its Department of Climate Change, in collaboration with the NAP Global Network, has launched an inception workshop aimed at strengthening Nigeria’s capacity for conflict-sensitive climate adaptation while unveiling a new report on integrating peacebuilding into the country’s National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process.

The event, held in Abuja, brought together senior government officials, development partners, security experts, and representatives from various ministries, departments, and agencies (MDAs). It marked a critical step in mainstreaming conflict-sensitivity into Nigeria’s climate policies and development planning.

Delivering the welcome address on behalf of the Director, Department of Climate Change, Dr. Mrs. Eviano Aguirre-Awe, Deputy Director Johanna Baruge stressed the urgency of addressing climate impacts that are increasingly exacerbating insecurity across Nigeria.

“Climate change is already driving extreme weather events, threatening biodiversity, damaging infrastructure, and fueling security challenges.

While mitigation efforts continue, adaptation is equally crucial so that we can adjust systems without undermining daily life,” she said.

She explained that Nigeria’s ongoing NAP formulation will provide a medium to long-term strategy for addressing climate vulnerabilities in a transparent and participatory manner.

Representing the NAP Global Network, Ms. Katrina underscored the importance of linking adaptation with peacebuilding.

“Unpredictable rainfall, rising temperatures, and resource stress often intersect with social and political tensions. If poorly managed, these pressures can worsen inequalities and deepen conflicts.

But if addressed thoughtfully, they can foster cooperation, dialogue, and peace,” she noted, adding that Nigeria’s leadership in this space sets an example for other countries grappling with similar challenges.

The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, in his opening remarks, recalled Nigeria’s commitment under international agreements such as the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol, highlighting the country’s pledge under its Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC 3.0) to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 47% with international support.

He explained that beyond mitigation, Nigeria’s NAP process—supported by the Green Climate Fund—is focusing on adaptation strategies in 13 thematic areas, including climate risk and vulnerability assessments, to strengthen community resilience.

He emphasized that conflict-sensitivity is vital, given Nigeria’s security challenges such as farmer-herder clashes, cattle rustling, and banditry.

“Ignoring medium and long-term adaptation needs in a fragile, conflict-prone context would be a mistake.

Climate action, if conflict-sensitive, can break cycles of fragility by tackling root causes, improving social well-being, and promoting peace,” he said.

The new report launched at the workshop outlines practical guidance for integrating peacebuilding into adaptation processes, identifying enabling factors such as leadership, data, financing, institutional arrangements, stakeholder engagement, and skills development.

Stakeholders were urged to provide meaningful input into the materials being developed and to ensure that climate activities undertaken by their institutions are conflict-sensitive.

The workshop concluded with a call for stronger collaboration, capacity building, and inclusive approaches that position Nigeria as a global leader in linking climate resilience with peacebuilding.

Nigeria aims at strengthening conflict-sensitive climate adaptation

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Armed men ambush patrol team, kill guard in Benue

Published

on

Armed men ambush patrol team, kill guard in Benue

By: Zagazola Makama

A member of the Benue State Civil Protection Guard has been killed following an ambush by armed men in Guma Local Government Area of the state.

Zagazola Makama report that the attack occurred on Aug. 25 at about 6:30 p.m. along Uikpam–Umenger road, when military personnel and the Civil Protection Guard were on joint patrol.

Sources disclosed that the patrol team came under ambush by gunmen suspected to be armed herders.

“One victim, identified as Terna Ioryoosu of Umenger village and attached to the Benue State Civil Protection Guard, was shot dead in the attack,”said sources.

The sources said security operatives were mobilised to the scene. The corpse was recovered, photographed, and later released to family members.

Armed men ambush patrol team, kill guard in Benue

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Gunmen abduct driver conveying corpse in Kogi

Published

on

Gunmen abduct driver conveying corpse in Kogi

By: Zagazola Makama

Gunmen have abducted a driver who was conveying a corpse in a vehicle along Ojodu Ojakeshi area of Ofu Local Government Area of Kogi.

Sources said that security operatives received a distress call on Tuesday evening that a blue Golf 2 car had been abandoned on the road.

It said that when security operatives, including army troops, police personnel and local hunters, mobilised to the scene, they discovered the vehicle with a corpse inside a casket.

“Two of the three occupants of the vehicle managed to escape from the abductors and later informed the police that they were transporting the corpse from Kwara to Benue when the hoodlums stopped them.

“The assailants whisked away the driver while leaving the corpse and the vehicle behind,” it added.

Bush combing operation is ongoing to rescue the victim and arrest the perpetrators.
End

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights