News
MSF: One out of every four children in Shinkafi and Zurmi malnourished.
MSF: One out of every four children in Shinkafi and Zurmi malnourished.
By: Michael Mike
One out of every four children under the age of five is malnourished in the Shinkafi and Zurmi areas of Zamfara state, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and the Ministry of Health have said.
A statement on Thursday by MSF otherwise called Doctors Without Borders, said according to a mass screening conducted in June by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and the Ministry of Health. Of the 97,149 children screened in 21 different urban and rural locations, 27 percent were found to be suffering from acute malnutrition, with five percent having severe acute malnutrition.
The statement added that: “These concerning figures far exceed the ‘critical level’ threshold established by the World Health Organisation (WHO) regarding malnutrition prevalence. MSF urges health authorities, international organisations, and donors to immediately intensify their efforts to tackle the escalating malnutrition crisis in Zamfara state, as well as whole of Northwest Nigeria – a region not yet included in the United Nations Humanitarian Response Plan.
“The mass screening held in June in the Shinkafi and Zurmi areas further revealed that about 22 per cent of children screened aremoderately malnourished. Currently, the nutritional suppliesessential to treat such children, also known as ready-to-use therapeutic food (RUTF), are unavailable, as UNICEF halted its supplies at the start of the year. This current lack of humanitarian response to treat those who are moderately malnourished in Northwest Nigeria risks the lives of these children who, without immediate care, will progress to severe acute malnutrition that threatens their survival and compromisestheir long-term health.”
Abdullahi Mohammad, an MSF representative in Nigeria, said: “The screening results from Shinkafi and Zurmi are nothing short of alarming, revealing a catastrophic malnutrition crisis across Northwest Nigeria,” declaring that: “The response to this overwhelming disaster is grossly insufficient. With malnutrition rates soaring beyond critical levels and no immediate treatment available for moderate acute malnutrition apart from at MSF facilities, we’re effectively letting more children fall into life-threatening conditions. It is crucial we ensure every child receives the medical care they desperately need.”
The statement said MSF currently runs four inpatient and 17 outpatient facilities in Shinkafi, Zurmi, Gummi and Talata Mafara in Zamfara – a state badly affected by malnutrition, noting that across all four inpatient facilities, MSF teams have treated over 7,000 children from January to July 2024. These figures for admissions are 34 per cent higher than for the same period in 2023. In Shinkafi and Zurmi, where MSF conducted the recent malnutrition screening, the increase in admissions is 50 per cent more than the same period last year. At the medical facility in Gummi, admissions in July 2024 were almost double compared to the same month last year.
Alongside the significant increase in malnutrition admissions, MSF teams are seeing high numbers of children with vaccine preventable diseases such as measles. In Zamfara, they have treated at least 5,700 measles cases so far this year. Infectious diseases like measles, malaria, and acute watery diarrhoea, severely compromise the nutritional status of children. In turn, malnutrition makes them far more susceptible to these illnesses, with a higher risk of death.
“When I first brought my son into the hospital, I didn’t know if he would survive,” says Hafsat Lawal, a mother whose child is beingtreated for malnutrition at an MSF facility in Zamfara. “Back at home because of the insecurity we don’t have food. The prices of food have more than doubled. If we had money, we would have bought some grains, but we cannot.”
Communities are facing high levels of violence in Zamfara and have told MSF teams that they are scared to move around the state, taking huge risks to reach functioning healthcare facilities.It is estimated by the health authorities that as of 2023, only about 200 out of 700 healthcare centres in Zamfara are accessible, and the rest are non-functional. One of the reasons being that healthcare workers struggle to reach them.
Despite the ongoing humanitarian crisis and facing high levels of insecurity, communities in the Northwest have long been excluded from coordinated humanitarian response. It is essential that health authorities in this area, alongside international organisations and donors, urgently scale up their response.Immediate expansion of health facilities is needed to treat malnourished children to ensure that more hospitals can offer the type of inpatient care desperately needed to save lives. Moreover, UNICEF, as the primary supplier of RUTF, must ensure the consistent and sufficient delivery of these essential therapeutic foods to prevent more children from falling victim to this crisis.
MSF: One out of every four children in Shinkafi and Zurmi malnourished.
News
Troops Neutralise Suspected Boko Haram Fighter, Recover Logistics Items in Adamawa
Troops Neutralise Suspected Boko Haram Fighter, Recover Logistics Items in Adamawa
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Operation HADIN KAI in collaboration with local vigilantes and Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), have neutralised a suspected Boko Haram fighter and recovered logistics items during an ambush at Gwadale deserted village along the Ngoshe–Kirawa road in Adamawa State.
Sources said that at about 12:50 a.m. on Thursday, troops engaged a confirmed number of suspected terrorists who were conveying logistics items.

The troops opened fire with a high volume of rounds, resulting in the neutralisation of one terrorist, while others reportedly fled in disarray with possible gunshot wounds.
Following the engagement, troops conducted exploitation of the general area and recovered one carton of Klin detergent and a bag of salt. The troops returned to their forward operating base at Pulka at about 2:30 a.m. same day.
Officials said the operation illustrated ongoing efforts to disrupt Boko Haram’s supply lines and restore security in the affected axis.
Troops Neutralise Suspected Boko Haram Fighter, Recover Logistics Items in Adamawa
News
Suspected Boko Haram Logistics Supplier Arrested in Hong LGA
Suspected Boko Haram Logistics Supplier Arrested in Hong LGA
By: Zagazola Makama
The Nigerian Army troops have arrested a suspected Boko Haram logistics supplier, Ismail Muhammed, 28, in the Visik General area of Hong Local Government Area, Adamawa State.

Sources said the arrest was carried out on Thursday by the troops of 28 Task Force Brigade in collaboration with local vigilantes and hunters.

Items recovered from the suspect included one AK-47 magazine, one round of 7.62mm special ammunition, a jungle hat, 10 bags of salt, two cartons of spaghetti, two sachets of seasoning cubes, a sachet of tom-tom, and bitter kola.

The suspect is currently in custody for further investigation, authorities said, as operations continue to disrupt Boko Haram supply chains in the North-East region.
Suspected Boko Haram Logistics Supplier Arrested in Hong LGA
News
Attack on BIR Post in Bargaram Leaves One Soldier Dead, Five Wounded
Attack on BIR Post in Bargaram Leaves One Soldier Dead, Five Wounded
By: Zagazola Makama
At least one soldier was killed and five others wounded during a night attack on a Battalion of the Rapid Intervention Brigade (BIR) post along the Cameroon-Nigeria border in Bargaram.
Zagazola learnt that the incident occurred between the night of Feb. 18 and the early hours of Feb. 19 at approximately 01:00 a.m., when armed assailants launched an assault on the military installation.

The attack resulted in the death of Private Second Class WAKOM Spkassa Barthélémy (Service No. T2024/53715), while five soldiers sustained injuries, including one reported in critical condition.
Security forces reportedly engaged the attackers, neutralizing five terrorists and recovering a significant cache of weapons and ammunition. Items seized include eight AK-47 rifles, a PKM machine gun, one anti-personnel rocket, two anti-tank rockets, a grenade launcher, 11 AK-47 magazine boxes, 242 rounds of 7.62 x 54 mm ammunition, 121 rounds of 7.62 x 39 mm ammunition, a motorcycle, and a camera.
The wounded soldiers were evacuated to the District Hospital of Mada for medical treatment, while the body of the fallen soldier was transferred to the mortuary of the Regional Hospital of Maroua.
Authorities have been urged intensified security measures along the border region to prevent further attacks and maintain operational readiness.
Attack on BIR Post in Bargaram Leaves One Soldier Dead, Five Wounded
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
