News
FG Launches Hazard Risk Analysis For Disaster Preparedness, Mitigation
FG Launches Hazard Risk Analysis For Disaster Preparedness, Mitigation
*** Our goal is to protect citizens from ecological risks, says VP Shettima
By: Our Reporter
The federal government has launched the 2024 Hazard Risk Countrywide Analysis aimed at strengthening disaster preparedness and mitigation efforts across the country.
To this effect, Vice President Kashim Shettima called for enhanced collaboration among stakeholders to address Nigeria’s vulnerabilities to disasters and climate change as well as building a safer and more resilient Nigeria.
Speaking during the launch event on Thursday in Abuja, VP Shettima reaffirmed the federal government’s commitment to safeguarding lives and livelihoods from ecological and other risks.

He said, “This launch is a testament to our resolve as a nation to confront the uncertainties of our ecological realities with informed strategies. We are committed to protecting citizens from ecological risks while building the infrastructure and mechanisms necessary for disaster prevention and response.”
The report, developed under the leadership of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) with technical support from UNICEF, offers a detailed analysis of Nigeria’s vulnerability to hazards such as floods, droughts, and public health emergencies.
It provides policymakers, emergency responders, and community leaders with critical data to improve early warning systems and enhance risk mitigation strategies.
Noting that the nation cannot prepare for risks it does not know, the Vice President said the document provides the foundation for understanding the magnitude of the challenges facing Nigeria, empowering government “to move from reactive to proactive strategies in addressing disasters.”
VP Shettima noted recent challenges in Nigeria, including devastating floods and outbreaks of diseases like cholera, which have displaced thousands and claimed lives, just as he explained that these recurring disasters bring to the fore the urgency of robust preparedness mechanisms.
“While we may not prevent every disaster, we can reduce their impact significantly by institutionalizing risk assessment and continuously monitoring hazards and vulnerabilities. This analysis is not just a tool—it is a lifeline for building community resilience,” the Vice President said.
He commended NEMA, development partners, and other stakeholders for their dedication in producing the report, describing it as a landmark achievement that reflects the administration’s focus on proactive governance.
“This is not the conclusion of our efforts; it is the beginning of a new chapter. We must now work together to use this report as a springboard for policies and actions that will make Nigeria more resilient against future risks,” he added.
He also expressed gratitude to international partners, including UN agencies and NGOs, for their contributions to the nation’s disaster preparedness and response initiatives.
“Protecting lives and property is a collective responsibility, and this launch symbolizes the unity of purpose that we need to build a safer Nigeria,” Shettima concluded.
Earlier in his remarks, the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Benjamin Kalu, said the launch of the report was timely.
He reaffirmed the commitment of the House of Representatives to leveraging the findings of the report to make legislations that will impact crisis management and disaster mitigation.
Hon. Kalu identified three key areas of the National Assembly’s legislative support for disaster management to include strengthening of early warning systems; funding for risk mitigation and community-centered interventions aimed at building grassroots capacity for disaster mitigation.
In his goodwill message, Chairman of Senate Committee on Special Duties, Sen. Kaka Shehu Lawan, congratulated the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and other stakeholders on the successful launch of the report.
He said the launch of the report is a giant stride and a step in the right direction, pledging the support of the Senate to the actualization of the mandate of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and other related agencies in the country, especially in enhancing the preparedness of the country to disasters and crises.
In her remarks, the Director General of NEMA, Dr Zubaida Umar, said the launch of the 2024 Countrywide Risk Analysis for Nigeria marked a milestone in stakeholders’ collective effort to enhance disaster preparedness and response.
She said the document will serve as a vital tool to support the development and review of Nigeria’s preparedness plans and related frameworks which will position the foundation for a safer and more resilient country.
Dr Umar said preparedness is the cornerstone of disaster management and a shared responsibility to ensure that all actors respond swiftly and efficiently to emergencies when they occur.
On her part, the UNICEF Country Representative, Ms Cristian Munduate, said the report provides a countrywide mapping of occurrences such as flash flooding, conflict and disease outbreaks, among others, across the country.
She said the 2024 Countrywide Risk Analysis for Nigeria aligns with President Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, especially in building a disaster-resilient nation and caring for the welfare of vulnerable groups.
FG Launches Hazard Risk Analysis For Disaster Preparedness, Mitigation
News
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.
The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.
According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.
The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
News
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.
The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.
According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.
The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
News
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
By: Zagazola Makama
The reported deadly attack on a Nigerien Army engineering unit near Garbougna in the Tillaberi Region marks a significant escalation in the evolving security dynamics of western Niger and the wider Sahel.
With an estimated 67 soldiers and civilians reportedly killed and a military camp destroyed, the incident underscores both the intensity and increasing sophistication of militant operations in the region.
Beyond the immediate casualties, the attack is notable for its attribution to Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), which swiftly claimed responsibility. Tillaberi have long been considered a stronghold of Islamic State in the Sahel (IS Sahel), suggesting a possible shift in operational influence or encroachment into contested territory.
The incident reflects an emerging pattern of geographic diffusion of jihadist violence across the Tera–Niamey corridor, an axis that has repeatedly come under pressure from armed groups. The corridor connects several vulnerable departments, including Tera, Torodi, Say and Ayorou, all of which have experienced repeated attacks in recent years.
The Garbougna attack also fits into a broader sequence of high-casualty operations across Niger since early 2026, including reported strikes near Niamey airport in January and Makalondi in February. These incidents collectively indicate sustained pressure on Nigerien security forces and an expanding operational reach of armed groups closer to strategic population centres.
Of particular concern is the apparent intensification of competition between IS Sahel and JNIM. While both groups have historically operated in overlapping zones, recent claims of responsibility and counter-claims suggest a more overt struggle for influence, recruitment, and territorial control. The reported clash between the two factions near Petel Kole earlier in the year further supports this assessment.
The implications of this rivalry are significant. Rather than reducing violence through competition, the fragmentation of jihadist groups in the Sahel has in some cases resulted in increased attacks, as factions seek to demonstrate operational strength and legitimacy.
At the same time, the weakening of state presence in rural and border communities is compounding the crisis. Reports of closed schools, non-functional health facilities, and inactive markets point to a gradual erosion of governance structures in affected areas. This vacuum continues to facilitate militant mobility and recruitment.
Another critical dimension is the increasing use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which has reportedly hindered post-attack clearance operations in the Garbougna area. Such tactics not only slow military response but also expand the risk zone for civilians and security forces alike.
Strategically, Tillaberi remains the epicentre of Niger’s insecurity challenges, given its proximity to the Mali and Burkina Faso border regions. The corridor’s proximity to Niamey raises additional concerns, particularly regarding potential spillover effects into the capital’s security perimeter.
The Garbougna attack, therefore, illustrates a convergence of three destabilising trends: escalating casualty levels, intensified jihadist competition, and shrinking state control in border regions. Taken together, these dynamics suggest a deteriorating security outlook for western Niger, with implications that extend beyond national boundaries into the wider Sahel security architecture.
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
