Connect with us

News

Over 930, 000 persons benefit from ACReSAL Projects in Gombe

Published

on

Over 930, 000 persons benefit from ACReSAL Projects in Gombe

Mr Mohammed Fawu, the Gombe State Commissioner of Water, Environment and Forest Resources, has stated that no fewer than 930,162 persons across the state have benefitted from the implementation of the World-Bank-funded Agro-Climatic Resilience in Semi-Arid Landscapes (ACReSAL) Project in the state within the past three years

Fawu stated this in Gombe on Monday while declaring open a four-day training of enumerators for ACReSAL Third Party Assessment.

Fawu stated that Gombe State has within the three years received disbursements amounting to $27.51 million for the implementation of the project which had impacted positively on the lives of residents.

He said that the projects so far implemented have contributed to combating land degradation, erosion, and climate change while improving on the lives of persons living around communities were projects were executed.

“Gombe State has advanced a wide range of landscape and community-level interventions, including: establishment of 313 hectares of woodlot plantation.

“Upgrading of Kanawa Forest into a biosphere resort and botanical garden, indigenous tree plantations and roadside shelterbelts spanning 110 kilometres.

“Canalization of Balanga Dam irrigation channels covering 6,329 hectares provision of 250 wash boreholes to support irrigation farming.

“ At the community level, we have distributed clean cook stoves to 3,000 households, provided rainwater harvesting facilities to 1,000 households and institutions, and supplied drought-tolerant seeds to 10,000 farmers.

“Solar-powered irrigation schemes, borehole drilling, and Community Revolving Fund activities are ongoing, supporting agro-processing, livestock, and farm enterprise development,” he said.

He added that ACReSAL has strengthened smart agricultural practices through the establishment a farm centre dedicated to training and research.

Fawu commended the partnership between the Gombe State government and World Bank, which he said has impacted several sectors while improving the livelihoods of residents of Gombe State.

On his part, Dr Sani Jauro, the Gombe State ACReSAL Project coordinator said that no fewer than 220 enumerators drawn from the 19 Northern States and the Federal Capital Territory were being trained.

Jauro said that the third-party assessment would ensure unbiased review of the projects so far implemented by ACReSAL from independent party.

He said the assessment was part of the procedure of ACReSAL project implementation meant to review the progress and challenges of the projects by enumerators who are not involved in the day-to-day running of ACReSAL projects.

Jauro urged the enumerators to carry out their jobs with fairness and be just in their report, adding that “the credibility of the exercise lies on your shoulder.”

On her part, the World Bank Task Team Leader, Dr. Joy Agene who was represented by Mr Joseph Abang, Operations Officer with World Bank said the assessment would unravel what has changed since the commencement of the implementation of the project.

Agene urged the enumerators to be steadfast and report accurately in line with the essence of the exercise.

Over 930, 000 persons benefit from ACReSAL Projects in Gombe

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Rescue Kidnapped Woman in Katsina Community

Published

on

Troops Rescue Kidnapped Woman in Katsina Community

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of 17 Brigade deployed at Yantumaki in Danmusa Local Government Area of Katsina State have rescued a 30-year-old woman abducted by suspected terrorists during an early morning attack on the community.

Security sources said the troops responded swiftly after hearing gunshots from the outskirts of the town in the early hours of May 21.

According to the sources, the soldiers immediately mobilised to the area where frightened residents informed them that the terrorists had abducted a woman identified as Mrs Abida Rufai and escaped into the surrounding bush.

The troops were said to have trailed the attackers along their withdrawal route and subsequently engaged them in a gun duel.

Overpowered by the troops’ superior firepower, the terrorists reportedly abandoned the victim and fled into the bush.

Mrs Rufai was thereafter rescued unharmed and safely reunited with her family amid relief and excitement from members of the community.

Military authorities said troops have continued aggressive patrols and domination operations within the general area to forestall further attacks and reassure residents of their safety.

Troops Rescue Kidnapped Woman in Katsina Community

Continue Reading

News

Troops Arrest Suspected Military Impostor in Jos

Published

on

Troops Arrest Suspected Military Impostor in Jos

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1 Operation Enduring Peace have arrested a suspected impostor who allegedly posed as a personnel of the Nigerian Navy in Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources disclosed that the arrest followed a report concerning the activities of a suspicious individual identified as Mohammed Auwal at Grovos Hotel, Apata area of Jos North.

The sources said troops swiftly responded to the intelligence report at about 2:56 p.m. on May 23 and apprehended the suspect at the hotel premises.

Preliminary findings indicated that the suspect allegedly claimed to be a serving naval personnel, prompting security concerns and further scrutiny by the troops.

The suspect is currently in custody while investigations are ongoing to ascertain his identity, motive and possible involvement in other unlawful activities.

Security authorities have continued to warn members of the public against impersonation of military and security personnel, describing such acts as criminal offences capable of undermining public trust and security operations.

Residents were also urged to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious individuals or activities to security agencies for necessary action.

Troops Arrest Suspected Military Impostor in Jos

Continue Reading

News

Senegal President sacks Prime Minister Sonko, dissolves government amid growing tensions

Published

on

Senegal President sacks Prime Minister Sonko, dissolves government amid growing tensions

By: Zagazola Makama

Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye has dismissed Prime Minister Ousmane Sonko and dissolved the country’s government following months of growing political tensions between the two leaders.

The decision was announced late Friday through a presidential decree broadcast on state television.

According to the decree read by a presidential aide, President Faye “ended the duties of Ousmane Sonko and consequently those of the ministers and secretaries of state who are members of the government.”

No immediate replacement for Sonko was announced as of the time of filing this report.

The dismissal followed a parliamentary session earlier in the week during which Sonko openly criticised President Faye, further exposing divisions within the ruling political establishment.

Political observers said relations between the two leaders had deteriorated in recent months over issues relating to party leadership, governance direction and the management of state affairs.

Analysts noted that the development could introduce fresh political uncertainty in Senegal at a time the country is facing mounting economic pressures, including rising public debt and broader fiscal challenges.

The dissolution of the government is expected to trigger consultations within the ruling coalition ahead of the appointment of a new prime minister and cabinet.

Senegal has long been regarded as one of West Africa’s more stable democracies, but recent political tensions have continued to attract regional and international attention.

Senegal President sacks Prime Minister Sonko, dissolves government amid growing tensions

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights