Connect with us

News

ActionAid Nigeria Demands Immediate Action on Fuel Price Increases, Calls for Economic Reform

Published

on

ActionAid Nigeria Demands Immediate Action on Fuel Price Increases, Calls for Economic Reform

By: Michael Mike

ActionAid Nigeria has condemned the latest hike in pump price of petroleum products, demanding immediate action from the government on economic reform

The Non Governmental Organisation said increasing the minimum wage from N30,000 to N70,000 was never enough to bring economic succour

ActionAid, in a statement on Wednesday signed by its Country Director, Andrew Mamedu asked that: “The Federal Government must prioritise the welfare of Nigerian Citizens over revenue generation and provide a comprehensive plan to protect vulnerable citizens and support small businesses within 48 hours. This plan must include measures to mitigate the impact of high fuel prices on the poor and vulnerable.”

Mamedu lamented that: “Since President Bola Ahmed Tinubu assumed office in May 2023, the removal of fuel subsidies has led to a harsh economic reality for many Nigerians. Despite efforts to recover, the Federal Government’s decision to allow fuel prices to surge again has worsened the situation, leading to a ripple effect on the economy.

“In May 2023, just before President Tinubu’s inauguration, petrol prices were already high at N185 per litre, causing widespread discontent among Nigerians due to the accompanying high cost of goods. However, on his first day in office, fuel prices skyrocketed to N500 per litre, leading to a sharp surge in the prices of essential commodities.

“Since then, fuel prices have continued to rise steadily. By August 2023, it reached N626.70 and continued to fluctuate, surmounting N668.3 in January 2024 and N770.54 in July 2024. As of September 2024, it has increased again to a staggering N897 per litre, which greatly worsens the situation for many Nigerians.”

He noted that: “Clearly, Nigeria’s fuel pricing is heavily influenced by the dollar-to-naira exchange rate due to the country’s reliance on imported fuel, which is denominated in US dollars (USD). Consequently, a depreciation of the naira against the dollar leads to higher fuel import costs, resulting in increased prices at the pump as well.

“This direct correlation between exchange rates and fuel prices makes Nigeria’s fuel pricing vulnerable to exchange rate fluctuations. Any changes in the dollar-to-naira rate will have a ripple effect on fuel import costs, ultimately impacting the prices consumers pay at the pump, and highlighting the need for a more stable exchange rate to mitigate the volatility in fuel pricing.”

He added that: “It is one thing to fix an impending problem of inflation in the economy, and it is another thing to provide temporary solutions to keep the mouths of Nigerians shut. Although the minimum wage has increased from N30,000 to N70,000, it fails to address the root causes of inflation and does little to alleviate the suffering of Nigerians, who continue to bear the brunt of skyrocketing commodity prices, particularly fuel costs. We need a comprehensive and sustainable solution, not just a quick fix to silence the masses.”

On the latest increase, Mamedu said: “ActionAid Nigeria strongly condemns this development, which will push millions of Nigerians deeper into poverty. We demand transparency in fuel pricing, including a clear breakdown of costs and revenues associated with fuel imports, refining, and distribution. The Federal Government must provide a detailed explanation of the fuel pricing mechanism to ensure accountability and trust.

“To address the root causes of this crisis, we also demand the establishment of an independent committee to monitor fuel pricing and ensure transparency. This committee must include representatives from civil society, the private sector, and government agencies. Additionally, the Federal Government must invest in Nigerian refineries and provide targeted support to vulnerable citizens and small businesses affected by fuel price increases.”

He said: “Concurrently, the Federal Government must implement a comprehensive economic reform plan as soon as possible, including measures to diversify the economy, increase foreign exchange earnings, and stabilize the naira. This plan should include specific targets and timelines for reducing inflation, improving foreign investment, and promoting local production. We demand transparency and regular progress updates to ensure accountability and build trust with the citizens.”

Mamedu warned that: “ActionAid Nigeria will hold the government accountable for their actions and demand a better future for all Nigerians. We will take all necessary actions to ensure that the government is held accountable to Nigerian citizens.”

ActionAid Nigeria Demands Immediate Action on Fuel Price Increases, Calls for Economic Reform

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno

Published

on

Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno

By: Our Reporter

Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has assured displaced communities affected by insecurity that the government is working closely with the Nigerian military hierarchy to provide immediate humanitarian and long-term support.

Governor Zulum gave the assurance when he visited displaced persons in Monguno town on Sunday, reaffirming his administration’s commitment to ensuring dignified resettlement back to their ancestral communities.

While at the IDP camp, the governor interacted directly with displaced families as women, children and elderly residents gathered around him while he listened to their concerns.

“We have examined the situation critically alongside the hierarchy of the Nigerian military, and it has been concluded that we shall provide immediate humanitarian support to these displaced communities, especially in the areas of water, shelter, and sanitation,” Zulum stated.

“Apart from this, we shall also ensure that medium and longer-term sustainable solutions are being adopted, which is acceptable to this community and their ancestral home,” he said.

“We will improve the living conditions of the displaced persons; we will not allow our citizens to endure such hardship without urgent government intervention.”

He also urged residents to cooperate with security agencies by reporting suspicious movements and activities within their communities, noting that sustaining peace and security requires collective responsibility.

“Security is everybody’s business. Communities must continue to support security agencies with timely and useful information,” the governor stated.

Governor Zulum disclosed that there are over 50,000 returnees in Marte, stressing that plans were underway to facilitate the return of more displaced persons to the town as part of the medium and longer-term solution.

He immediately directed the Secretary to the State Government, the Commissioner for Local Government, the Commissioner for Internal Security, and the Chairman of Marte Local Government Area to work out the modalities for implementing the recommendations adopted.

The governor sympathized with the people affected by the recent insecurity and reaffirmed the government’s commitment to supporting them.

As part of the visit, Governor Zulum also met with health workers at the Monguno Eye Hospital, commending them for continuing to provide medical services despite difficult working conditions and limited resources. He announced financial support to improve their welfare and encourage greater commitment to healthcare delivery in the area.

The governor also visited the Commanding Officer of Forward Operation Base (FOB) Mairari for a security brief.

Governor Zulum was accompanied by the Senator representing Borno North, Senator Mohanmed Tahir Monguno; Speaker of Borno State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Abdulkarim Lawan, Member Representing Marte, Monguno, Nganzai, Hon. Bukar Talba, Secretary to the state government, Bukar Tijani, Commissioner for Information and Internal Security, Prof. Usman Tar, Commissioner for Local Government and Emirate Affairs, Hon. Sugun Mai Mele, alongside other government officials.

Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno

Continue Reading

News

Troops Discover Illegal Refinery Site in Rivers Forest

Published

on

Troops Discover Illegal Refinery Site in Rivers Forest

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of 103 Battalion operating under the Joint Task Force South-South Operation Delta Safe (OPDS) have discovered an illegal refining site in the Orashi National Forest in Ahoada West Local Government Area of Rivers State.

Military sources said the operation was conducted between 10:30 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. on May 15, 2026, as part of ongoing anti-illegal bunkering operations in the Niger Delta region.

According to the sources, troops uncovered an illegal refining site containing one large drum oven, one reservoir, one large coolant, two receivers, two waste pits, and two galvanised pipes measuring about 50 metres each.

The site was suspected to have been used for the illegal processing of stolen crude oil and petroleum products.

The sources said the discovered items were handled in accordance with operational directives of Operation Delta Safe.

Security authorities reiterated their commitment to sustaining operations against crude oil theft, illegal refining activities and economic sabotage across the Niger Delta region.

Troops Discover Illegal Refinery Site in Rivers Forest

Continue Reading

News

COAS Welfare Flight Airlifts 341 Personnel In and Out of Operation Hadin Kai Theatre

Published

on

COAS Welfare Flight Airlifts 341 Personnel In and Out of Operation Hadin Kai Theatre

By: Zagazola Makama

The Chief of Army Staff (COAS) has conducted the second welfare flight for May 2026 in support of troops and personnel serving in the North-East theatre under Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK).

Military sources said the welfare flight was carried out on May 16, 2026, using a chartered ValueJet aircraft.

According to the sources, a total of 167 passengers were airlifted into the OPHK theatre, while 174 personnel were transported out of the theatre during the exercise.

The welfare flight initiative, introduced to support troop welfare and movement logistics, has continued to facilitate the rotation and transportation of military personnel serving in the counterinsurgency theatre.

The sources added that, with the latest operation, a cumulative total of 32,765 personnel have so far been transported into and out of the OPHK theatre since the commencement of the welfare flight programme.

Military authorities described the movement as successful and hitch-free.

COAS Welfare Flight Airlifts 341 Personnel In and Out of Operation Hadin Kai Theatre

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights