Connect with us

National News

AfDB Seeks $42 billion to Bridge Financing Gap Hindering African Women Enterprises

Published

on

AfDB Seeks $42 billion to Bridge Financing Gap Hindering African Women Enterprises

By: Michael Mike

The African Development Bank (ADB) has said it is presently seeking $42 billion to bridge the current financing gap hindering women-owned and women-led enterprises across the Africa continent.

The Director General, Nigerian Country Department of the bank, Dr Abdul Kamara made the disclosure on Tuesday in Abuja
at the High-Level Dialogue on Investment in Gender Equality and Ending Violence Against Women for Rights and Development organised by United Nations Women in partnership with ADB.

The event is part of the global “16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence” campaign, which runs from November 25 (International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women) to December 10th (Human Rights Day).

It brought together key stakeholders to address the pressing issue of gender-based violence in Nigeria, where women and girls continue to face various forms of discrimination and violence.

Kamara said the bank has a very clear stance on Gender Based Violence (GBV), stating that in 2024, ADB celebrated 25 years of gender mainstreaming in all its operations geared towards evidence based reduction in gender gaps and more importantly, in accelerating gender equality.

He said: “One area where the bank has made very visible impact in the economic empowerment in the last seven years is increasing access to finance through a special initiative called AFAWA which is an acronym for Affirmative Finance Action for Women in Africa.

“In the context of this Pan African Initiative, the African Development Bank seeks to bridge the financing gap of $42 billion currently hindering women-owned and women-led enterprises across the continent and I am glad to report that we disbursed over a billion dollars of this across Africa, seeking to increase access to finance for women.

“This is just one among many initiatives of the bank that are responding directly to the problem gender equality. In Nigeria, all our programmes and projects are gender mapped and have gender experts working with the government to design actions that will bridge gender gaps, looking to access to financing for women, access to market, access skills but most importantly access to jobs and incomes.

“Just last month, we approve here in the bank, $100 million in the programme called Youth Entrepreneurship Investment Bank for Nigeria. This is a non deposit bank, it is an access to finance. This operation will improve gender responsive, youth entrepreneurship and enterprise development by boosting financial services to foster a thriving entrepreneurial ecosystem and affirmative action for jobs focusing on women,” he said.

In his remarks, Minister of Budget and National Planning, Sen. Atiku Bagudu said GBV was a growing concern that required immediate attention and collective action, noting that despite progress made toward dealing with violence, women and girls continue to face violence, discrimination and marginalisation.

Bagudu, who was represented by Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Dr Vitalis Obi, said empowering women was crucial to breaking this cycle of violence and that can be done by creating and promoting gender responsive policies as well as practices.

He said: “We must take decisive action to prevent and protect our women from all forms of violence and to create a society where everyone feels safe irrespective of their gender. One of the ways by which we can bridge this persistent gap is by institutionalising gender responsive budgeting in all sectors of the economy.

“Gender responsive budgeting is the strategic approach that integrates gender perspectives into the entire budget cycle. Allocate adequate resources to the programmes that will address GBV, women empowerment and education,” he said.

On her part, the Chairperson, Nigerian Governors’ Spouses Forum, Prof. Olufolake Abdul-Razaq, said they remained steadfast in advocating gender responsive budgeting across the 36 states and FCT, spending institutional framework that integrate gender perspectives and championing initiatives to protect women rights.

The Kwara State First Lady said the forum was firmly committed to ensuring that all gender laws become a cornerstone of governance at the sub-national levels, adding that the well-being of women and girls remained a pivotal indicator of how well any nation was faring in driving her developmental plan.

“It is time to address the structural barriers that perpetrate inequality for women and girls to reach their full potentials. This is my believe and it is not only an act of justice but a strategic investment in resilience and productivity of our nation as this no doubt stands as a veritable gift to commemorate the 2024 16 days of activism against GBV.

“The Nigerian Governors Spouses Forum really made an effort in the last couple of years…We are also working to get women into leadership because we believe that when women are in leadership position they will help us to sustain this drive of bringing developments to women,” she added.

In her opening remarks, the UN Women Country Representative to Nigeria and ECOWAS, Beatrice Eyong, said GBV was not just a human rights issue but also an economic issue a statistics showed that the menace was costing the Nigerian government 1.5% of its Gross Domestic Product.

“We are talking in terms of billions of dollars that the country is losing every year because of Gender Based Violence. So Gender Based Violence is linked to the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals. So if we do nothing, we will not get out of poverty and we will not get sustainable development.

“The World Economic Forum estimated in its global gender gaps report of 2022 that it will take about 132 years for the world to achieve gender equality. What does this mean for Nigeria? At this space, some of us, including our daughters might not experience gender equality in their time.

“This is therefore a call to collective actions by all international organisations, government agencies, community stakeholders and even the private sector to address the under-representation of women and barriers to gender equality,” she noted.

The UN Resident Coordinator in Nigeria Mohammed Fall, on his part said: “Gender inequality and violence against women remain among the greatest challenges to sustainable development, not just in Nigeria but globally. These issues incur heavy costs—socially, economically, and individually—limiting our collective potential for progress.”

He added that: “Violence and harmful practices against women and girls happen every day in Nigeria, and most of the time they are not reported. The Nigerian Demographic and Health Survey in 2018 found that 9 percent of women aged 15 to 49 had suffered sexual assault at least once in their lifetime and 31% had experienced physical violence. Restrictions and implications from the COVID-19 pandemic exacerbated the gender-based violence (GBV) in the nation.”

He said: “The United Nations remains steadfast in its support for Nigeria’s journey towards creating an inclusive society where every woman and girl can thrive. We are committed to coordinating partnerships, providing technical expertise, and facilitating dialogues to ensure measurable impacts in Nigeria.”

AfDB Seeks $42 billion to Bridge Financing Gap Hindering African Women Enterprises

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Onaiyekan Asks Tinubu to Equip the Current Security Operatives for Better Performance, Drop Employment of 20,000 Policemen

Published

on

Onaiyekan Asks Tinubu to Equip the Current Security Operatives for Better Performance, Drop Employment of 20,000 Policemen

By: Michael Mike

Former Archbishop of Abuja Catholic Diocese, Cardinal John Onaiyekan has told President Bola Tinubu to treat as top priority the equipping of the present crops of policemen and security operatives to combat the perennial insecurity in the nation instead of giving order for the employment of additional 20,000 policemen.

Speaking at the 9th International Conference on Love and Tolerance in Abuja, the respected cleric warned that the nation cannot afford delays in tackling insecurity.

He said: “Right now in Nigeria, we have to build bridges so that all of us, Christians and Muslims, can jointly face our common enemy… Those who are killing us.

“We have finally agreed that we shall join hands and face them. And if we join hands, we can deal with them now. We should be able to deal with them.”

He added that: “With all these wonderful soldiers and police, we should be able to deal with them. I’m not even sure we need 20,000 more policemen. I believe they are the ones we have right now. Arm them well, treat them well, and they will do their job.”

He said: “There is no need to deploy 20,000 policemen. We could use the policemen we have. I’m not an expert, but to train them and then deploy them, for an emergency. Let the experts tell me how long does it take to deploy 20,000 people. I guess we are talking of one year. In one month, this country can be destroyed.”

“So I’m saying we should look at a strategy that will address the issue right now. We should equip the policemen we have now, who are already trained though, but they are carrying bags for madams. It’s good that they have been withdrawn; Let them start working.

“And let there be the political will to flush the terrorists out of the forest. And we are glad that the language that our president spoke yesterday; but weve been listening to that since two years ago.

“What do you have police for? That’s their job. It’s not even the job of the army. It’s the job of the police.” He said.

He also reflected on global religious harmony, warning that Nigeria faces increasing local polarisation despite global unity efforts, referencing the “Abu Dhabi document” signed by Pope Francis and the Grand Imam of Al Azhar.

A renowned activist and Former Kaduna Central Senator, Shehu Sani, highlighted the root causes of intolerance and conflict, noting that human differences in wealth, power, race, and religion often drive dominance and resistance.

He emphasized that differences are natural and unavoidable, and that peace and tolerance begin with recognizing and accepting human diversity.

Sani expressed concern over shrinking freedom of speech, insisting that the arrests and social media scrutiny threaten open dialogue, and urged that love, understanding, and respect for differing opinions are essential for building a harmonious society.

On his part, the President of UFUK Dialogue Foundation, Emrah Ilgen, whose organisation convened the international conference, said the gathering was created to address the urgent need for healing in a deeply divided world.

He said the theme “Bridging Divides: Building Trust in a Polarized World” was chosen to confront rising global and local tensions, emphasising that the world is experiencing dangerous levels of mistrust driven by misinformation, fear, ethnic divisions, and religious misconceptions.

He explained that UFUK Dialogue has, for more than a decade, committed itself to building bridges between communities and promoting dialogue that encourages understanding rather than suspicion.

“Humanity is strongest when it chooses dialogue over suspicion, compassion over conflict, and understanding over prejudice,” he said.

In his welcome address, Director General of the Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution, Dr. Joseph Ochogwu, represented by Dr. Emmanuel Mamman, said Nigeria is facing deepening mistrust, widening identity divides, and increasing misinformation, stressing that trust must be rebuilt through fairness, dialogue, and inclusion of women and youths.

He said: “Polarization is not destiny. Mistrust, though deep, remains reversible.”

The DG added that traditional and religious institutions remain pillars of social harmony, and collaboration with groups like UFUK Dialogue is essential in restoring national cohesion.

Onaiyekan Asks Tinubu to Equip the Current Security Operatives for Better Performance, Drop Employment of 20,000 Policemen

Continue Reading

National News

VP Shettima Mourns Passing Of Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi, Says Nigeria Has Lost A Beacon Of Knowledge

Published

on

VP Shettima Mourns Passing Of Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi, Says Nigeria Has Lost A Beacon Of Knowledge

By: Michael Mike

Vice President Kashim Shettima has expressed deep sadness over the passing of revered Islamic scholar, Sheikh Dahiru Usman Bauchi, leader of the Tijjaniyya Muslim Brotherhood in Nigeria, who died at the age of 101.

VP Shettima noted that Sheikh Dahiru’s extraordinary longevity was itself a divine blessing that allowed multiple generations of Nigerian Muslims to benefit from his profound knowledge, wisdom, and spiritual guidance.

In a condolence message on Thursday, the Vice President described the late spiritual leader as one of Nigeria’s greatest Islamic scholars whose teachings and exemplary life touched millions of Muslims across the country and beyond.

He said: “We have lost a spiritual guide, a teacher, and a moral compass whose dedication to Islamic scholarship spanned more than a century. Sheikh Dahiru Usman Bauchi was among the great pillars of Islamic knowledge in our time. His life was a demonstration of faith, learning, and service to Allah and humanity.

VP Shettima noted that the Sheikh’s extraordinary life allowed multiple generations of Nigerian Muslims to benefit from his profound knowledge, wisdom, and spiritual guidance.

He praised the late Islamic scholar’s lifelong commitment to spreading Islamic knowledge and his pivotal role in strengthening the Tijjaniyya Brotherhood in Nigeria and West Africa.

“We find comfort in knowing he lived a long, fulfilled life devoted to Allah and to uplifting humanity. His legacy of scholarship and service will continue to inspire us all,” the Vice President added.

“I pray that Almighty Allah will forgive his shortcomings and grant him Aljannatul Firdaus. May Allah also grant his family, the Tijjaniyya Brotherhood, and the entire Muslim Ummah the fortitude to bear this loss,” VP Shettima said.

VP Shettima Mourns Passing Of Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi, Says Nigeria Has Lost A Beacon Of Knowledge

Continue Reading

National News

Lawal: Over 45m Nigerians Still Defecate Openly

Published

on

Lawal: Over 45m Nigerians Still Defecate Openly

By: Michael Mike

The Minister of Environment, Balarabe Lawal, has decried that just about 25 per cent of Nigerians have access to safely managed sanitation facilities leaving over 45 million Nigerians still practice open defecation.

Lawal gave that figures in Abuja on Wednesday at a press briefing to commemorate the 2025 World Toilet Day, themed “Sanitation in a Changing World,” with the tagline “We’ll Always Need the Toilet.”

The Minister who was represented by the Permanent Secretary at the ministry, Mahmud Kambari, said that this year’s theme reflects the growing impacts of climate change, rapid urbanisation, and widening inequalities that weaken sanitation systems.

November 19 was set aside by the United Nations General Assembly, in recognition of the global sanitation challenge to raise awareness and inspire action to tackle the global sanitation crisis, which still affects billions of people worldwide.

The minister said, “The advent and access to toilets remain a foundation to public health and play an important role in protecting both people and the environment. They hygienically remove human waste, reduce exposure to diseases, and uphold dignity. Unfortunately, in many parts of the world, toilets and the systems that support them remain underfunded, poorly managed, or neglected.

“Currently, about 4.2 billion people globally live without access to safe toilets, while in Nigeria, over 45 million people still practice open defecation, and only about 25 per cent of the population have access to safely managed sanitation facilities.

“Many schools, healthcare facilities, and public institutions either lack functional toilets or have facilities that are poorly managed. In urban areas, the absence of adequate sewerage systems has led to unsafe disposal of wastewater and sewage into rivers and streams, thereby contaminating our environment with resultant impact.”

He regretted that the situation contributes significantly to diseases such as cholera, diarrhoea, typhoid, and intestinal worm infections, which continue to claim lives, especially among children under five years of age.

He decried that poor sanitation also drives antimicrobial resistance and undermines Nigeria’s progress towards SDG 6.2, ensuring access to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene for all by 2030.

He, however, noted that the Federal Government is committed to tackling sanitation challenges and achieving an Open Defecation Free Nigeria by 2030.

“This commitment is demonstrated through the Presidential Declaration of a State of Emergency on Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene, and the signing of Executive Order No. 009 (2019) titled “The Open Defecation Free Nigeria by 2025 which is under review and Other Related Matters.”

The Minister added that the ministry and other stakeholders have reviewed and updated the 2005 National Environmental Sanitation Policy, including guidelines for safe excreta and sewage disposal.

In her welcome remarks, the Director of Pollution Control and Environmental Health, Dr. Bahijjahtu Abubakar, noted that billions still lack access to safe toilets and millions continue to practice open defecation.

She warned that this poses serious health and environmental risks, especially to women, children, and other vulnerable groups, as poor sanitation fuels the spread of diarrhoea, cholera, and typhoid, which remain major causes of illness and death among children under five.

She said: “Today’s commemoration provides us with an opportunity to reflect on the progress made so far in improving sanitation services across Nigeria, while also renewing our collective commitment to ending open defecation by the year 2030.

The Secretary General of the Nigerian Red Cross Society, Abubakar Kende, highlighted sanitation as a vital human right and stressed the urgent need to address challenges such as climate stress, poor funding, overcrowded urban areas, and cultural barriers.

He said the Red Cross, in collaboration with government ministries and partners, is advancing solutions through the National Strategic Plan of Action on Cholera Control to improve sanitation and hygiene nationwide.

He said: The theme emphasises the constant necessity of sanitation as a human right despite global challenges. It highlights the need for urgent action to protect and expand access to safely managed sanitation in a changing world, which is being impacted by issues like ageing infrastructure, rising demand, climate change, and growing inequality.”

Lawal: Over 45m Nigerians Still Defecate Openly

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights