Connect with us

News

Aggrieved Police Officers Demand PSC Compliance with Court Judgment on Appointment Regularization

Published

on

Aggrieved Police Officers Demand PSC Compliance with Court Judgment on Appointment Regularization

By: Zagazola Makama

Aggrieved police officers from Courses 33, 34, and 35 of the Police Academy have kicked against any attempt to forcefully retire them from service and called on the Police Service Commission (PSC) to immediately comply with the judgment of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria (NICN), which ordered the regularization of their first appointment dates.

It would be recalled that the PSC at a meeting in Abuja earlier this month ordered the immediate retirement of all senior police officers who have either exceeded 35 years in service or are above the age of 60.

The spokesman of the commission, Ikechukwu Ani, recalled that the Commission at its 24th Plenary Meeting of 27th and 28th September 2017, approved that the Force Entrants should have their date of appointment in the Force against the date of their enlistment.

The Commission revisited their decision and has come to the conclusion that the said decision in its intent and purpose contradicted the principle of a merger of service in the public service, and it is in violation of Public Service Rule No 020908 (i & ii) which provides for retirement on the attainment of 35 years in service or 60 years of age.

“Accordingly, the Commission at its 1st extraordinary meeting of the 6th Management Board held today, Friday, 31st January 2025, approved the immediate retirement of those officers who have spent more than 35 years in service and those above 60 years of age,” Ani had said.

But the aggrieved officers argued that, Despite the April 19, 2022, ruling and subsequent reinforcement of the judgment on February 4, 2025, the officers alleged that the PSC has failed to implement the directive, thereby denying them their rightful ranks, promotions, and entitlements.

Recalled that in 2021, The officers, led by CSP Egong Egwu Egong, CSP Omeh Felix Okechukwu, CSP Paul Obot Umoh, and SP Galadima Bello, won a legal battle in Suit No. NICN/ABJ/281/2021, in which the court ruled that their first appointment date should be the date they entered the Police Academy, not when enlisted as recruit constable.

The National Industrial Court, presided over by Justice O. A. Obaseki Osaghae, reaffirmed in its latest sitting that the PSC and the Nigeria Police Force must recognize the officers’ first appointment dates as follows: Course 33 – June 10, 1994, Course 34 – August 6, 1996, Course 35 – May 1, 2000

The court also ordered that: The decision of the PSC at its 24th Plenary Meeting regularizing the officers’ appointment dates remains valid and binding. The officers’ records must reflect their correct first appointment dates as per the court ruling. The premature retirement of some affected officers must be reversed, and they should be paid their full entitlements.

The PSC and the Police Force are restrained from unlawfully retiring officers of Courses 33, 34, and 35 before their actual due dates.

However, During a recent court proceeding, counsel for the officers, Adeleke Agbola (SAN), informed the court that the PSC had issued a circular contradicting the judgment by insisting that the officers’ first appointment date would be based on their commissioning date, not their academy entry date.

Agbola argued that this action amounted to contempt of court, as the judgment had not been appealed and remained binding on all parties. He urged the court to maintain the status quo and proceed with committal proceedings against the PSC for non-compliance.

In response, counsel for the PSC, Ade Adedeji (SAN), assured the court that the defendants intended to comply with the judgment, stating that there was no pending appeal challenging the ruling. He also noted that steps had been taken to post the affected officers accordingly and that the PSC had no intention of undermining the court’s decision.

The court adjourned the matter to March 18, 2025, for a report on full compliance or hearing of contempt proceedings against the PSC.

Following the court session, the aggrieved officers have urged the PSC to immediately implement the judgment, update their service records, reinstate unlawfully retired officers, and grant them their due promotions and benefits.

They warned that continued delay would amount to willful disobedience of a valid court order, which could lead to legal consequences for the PSC and police authorities.

The officers further called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Inspector-General of Police, and the Attorney General of the Federation to intervene and ensure that justice is served in line with the rule of law.

Background to the Dispute

The case dates back to longstanding grievances by police officers of Courses 33, 34, and 35, who argued that while their colleagues in similar categories had their appointments regularized, they were denied the same recognition.

The PSC is now asking for their retirement despite the National Industrial Court ruling which was disobeyed or delayed by the concerned authorities. This delays in implementation have left the officers frustrated and seeking further legal enforcement.

With the next court hearing scheduled for March 18, 2025, all eyes are on the PSC and the Nigeria Police Force to see whether they will comply with the judgment or face contempt proceedings.

Aggrieved Police Officers Demand PSC Compliance with Court Judgment on Appointment Regularization

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.

The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.

Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.

Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights