Connect with us

Crime

Auto Parts Dealer, Businesswoman Arrested Over UK-bound Opioids, Cocaine

Published

on

Auto Parts Dealer, Businesswoman Arrested Over UK-bound Opioids, Cocaine

By: Michael Mike

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested an Ibadan-based businesswoman, Mrs. Adewunmi Adebola and an auto parts dealer, Arinze Ora over attempts to export consignments of opioids and cocaine to London, United Kingdom and Congo Brazzaville respectively.

A statement on Sunday by the spokesman of the NDLEA, Femi Babafemi said officers of the anti-narcotics agency at the export shed of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos had on Friday 6th September 2024 intercepted a cargo going to the United Kingdom, adding that a thorough search of the consignment revealed 924 bottles of codeine-based syrup weighing 135.7 kilogrammes and 5,250 tablets of rohypnol were hidden in cartons of foodstuffs.

Babafemi said the freight agent, Owojori Olanrewaju who presented the cargo for export was promptly arrested, with further investigation leading to the arrest of another suspect, Adewunmi Akeem , who claimed that his mother, 58-year-old Mrs. Adewunmi Adebola sent the consignment to him from Ibadan to deliver to the agent.

The spokesman said a follow up operation on Saturday 7th September led to the arrest of Mrs. Adewunmi in Ibadan where she deals in foodstuffs and cargo export.

In his statement, Owojori confessed that he has been working for Mrs. Adewunmi to export cargoes to the UK, adding that he was paid N2,411,000.00 for the job, while he was paid N2.1 million for a similar consignment handled for the businesswoman earlier.

In the same vein, NDLEA operatives at the same export shed of the Lagos airport last Wednesday intercepted some cartons of auto spare parts and powder custard going to Congo Brazzaville on Ethiopian Airlines. A diligent search of the cargo led to the discovery of 300 grammes of cocaine concealed in the containers of checkers powder custard packed together with some auto parts.

Babafemi said a follow up operation led to the arrest of the sender of the consignment, Arinze Ora, who deals in auto parts at the Trade Fair Auto Parts Wing, Amuwo Odofin area of Lagos.

Operatives of a Special Operations Unit of NDLEA last Tuesday arrested two brothers: Ikechukwu Ikeabba and Ugochukwu Ikeabba who are alleged sponsors of drug traffickers who specialise in exporting drugs by ingestion to Vietnam.

The NDLEA spokesman said their arrest followed diligent investigation of an earlier arrest of an Onitsha-based businessman, Ibeanusi Nosike, who excreted 68 wraps of cocaine weighing 1.282 kilogrammes after 12 days of excretion observation after he was arrested at the local wing of the Lagos airport by NDLEA operatives.

Babafemi said the 36-year-old Ibeanusi was arrested in the early hours of Thursday, 8th August 2024 at the old domestic terminal of the Lagos airport while attempting to board the first flight out of Lagos to Abuja where he was scheduled to join a Qatar Airways flight to Vietnam at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja at about 10am same day.

He said another Vietnam-bound businessman, 54-year-old Paul Mbadugha had been arrested by NDLEA operatives at the Abuja airport on Monday 12th August 2024 during the outward clearance of Qatar Airways flight QR 1432 to Hanoi, Vietnam via Doha after he tested positive to ingestion of cocaine. He noted that after four days under observation, Mbadugha egested a total of 88 wraps of the illicit drug with a gross weight of 1.71 kilogrammes.

He said at the time of the arrest of the two kingpins, the Ikeabba brothers, they were caught with 87 wraps of cocaine dummies used in training intending mules.

Babafemi said in Gombe state, NDLEA operatives acting on credible intelligence last Saturday arrested three suspects: Auwal Abdullahi, Isah Rabiu and Abubakar Da’u along Bauchi-Gombe road while travelling in a DAF truck marked GME 552 ZU. A search of the vehicle led to the seizure 2,490,000 pills of tramadol concealed with bags of salt.

He said a suspect, Idris Adamu, 23, was arrested with 41.5 kilogrammes of cannabis sativa at Kachia town, Kaduna state last Tuesday while two suspects: Godiya Jikuk, 36, and Yusuf Umaru, 65, were nabbed at Isinbode -Ekiti, Ekiti state with a total of 73.6 kilogrammes cannabis last Wednesday.

In Bauchi state, no fewer than 208,920 pills of tramadol and diazepam were seized from a suspect, Chinedu Asadu, 35, last Thursday while 104 kilogrammes of cannabis was recovered from two suspects: Abba Abdullahi and Mustapha Yahaya along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway last Tuesday by operatives in Lagos state.

He added that not less than 350,000 bottles of codeine-based syrup were discovered by NDLEA operatives in two containers shipped from India during a joint examination of the containers with men of Customs Service and other security agencies at the Tincan port in Lagos last Tuesday, starting that the containers were part of those targeted by NDLEA for 100 percent examination.

Babafemi said with the same vigour, commands and formations of the agency across the country continued their War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization activities to schools, worship centres, work places and communities among others in the past week.

While commending the officers and men of the Special Operations Unit, MMIA, Tincan, Lagos, Gombe, Kaduna, Bauchi, and Ekiti commands of the agency for the arrests and seizures, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (Rtd) stated that their operational successes and those of their compatriots across the country are well appreciated.

He however urged them to continue to intensify ongoing drug supply reduction and drug demand reduction efforts.

Auto Parts Dealer, Businesswoman Arrested Over UK-bound Opioids, Cocaine

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Troops Rescue Abducted Victims, Arrest Collaborators, Record Surrenders in North-East Operations

Published

on

Troops Rescue Abducted Victims, Arrest Collaborators, Record Surrenders in North-East Operations

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of the Joint Task Force (North East), Operation HADIN KAI, have recorded significant operational successes including the rescue of abducted civilians, arrest of suspected terrorist collaborators, recovery of weapons, and continued surrender of insurgents’ family members across the North-East theatre.

Security sources disclosed that the operations were conducted under Operation Desert Sanity V and other ongoing clearance missions aimed at degrading terrorist capabilities in the region.

In one of the major breakthroughs, troops operating along the Ngoshe–Amuda axis in Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State rescued four abducted persons comprising two women and two children.

The victims were identified as Salamatu Sidiq Ali (19), Halima Idrisa (20), Umar Abdullahi (3), and Mustapha Abdullahi (4), who were abducted during an attack on Ngoshe community on March 3, 2026.

According to the sources, preliminary debrief indicated that the victims were held in a terrorist enclave before being freed following sustained military pressure on insurgent hideouts in the Mandara Mountains.

The rescued persons were later medically evaluated and reunited with their families through community leadership.

The sources added that a total of 65 abducted persons have so far been rescued in ongoing operations, while efforts are continuing to secure the release of others still in captivity.

In a related development, troops apprehended a suspected terrorist collaborator, identified as 50-year-old Mrs. Kellu Alhaji Abba, at a checkpoint in Baga, Kukawa Local Government Area.

Items recovered from her included clothing materials and other supplies allegedly intended for delivery to a terrorist operative in the Dumba general area, according to preliminary investigation.

Similarly, troops arrested another suspected logistics supplier, Mr. Amadu Abdu (50), along the Dalori axis while transporting a large quantity of packaged items suspected to be intended for terrorist elements.

Investigations revealed that the suspect had been supplying logistics in exchange for access to grazing areas within terrorist-controlled zones. Items recovered included packaged goods, a mobile phone, a cutlass, suspected illicit substances, and cash.

Elsewhere, troops in conjunction with local hunters arrested four suspected cattle rustlers and terrorist collaborators at Kwaya Kusar Market. The suspects were found with stolen livestock and are currently under investigation.

The operation also recorded the surrender of individuals linked to Boko Haram/ISWAP, including Aishatu Sale (20), who surrendered in Bama Local Government Area, and Hauwa Abubakar (70), who escaped from a terrorist enclave in the Mandara Mountains.

The sources said the surrendered individuals attributed their decision to sustained military pressure and worsening living conditions in terrorist camps.

In another development, troops recovered one AK-47 rifle and a loaded magazine along a suspected terrorist withdrawal route, further degrading insurgent operational capability.

Military authorities said the sustained successes demonstrate continued pressure on terrorist elements and reaffirmed commitment to restoring lasting peace and stability in the North-East region.

The Military High Command commended the troops for their operational performance and urged them to sustain the momentum in the ongoing counter-terrorism campaign.

Troops Rescue Abducted Victims, Arrest Collaborators, Record Surrenders in North-East Operations

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Arrest Three Suspected Robbers in Borno Community

Published

on

Troops Arrest Three Suspected Robbers in Borno Community

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of 162 Amphibious Battalion Operation HADIN KAI have arrested three suspected robbers following a reported robbery incident at Gar Gwigwi village in Biu Local Government Area of Borno State.

Security sources disclosed that the troops responded to intelligence at about 6:00 p.m. on May 21 indicating that an unconfirmed number of Civilian Joint Task Force members attached to the battalion were allegedly involved in the robbery.

According to the sources, troops swiftly moved to the area and apprehended three suspects linked to the incident, while others reportedly fled.

Items recovered from the suspects included five mobile phones, a nylon bag containing a substance identified as “ice,” a locally made charm, a necklace chain, a small white scarf, two wristwatches, one dagger, a Qur’an booklet, the sum of N1,070, and one dane gun.

The sources stated that the dane gun was later identified as belonging to a member of the Miyetti Allah group, who reported that the weapon had been stolen from him by the suspects a day before the robbery incident.

The firearm was subsequently handed back to the owner after confirmation of ownership.

The arrested suspects are currently in military custody for further investigation and possible prosecution.

Troops Arrest Three Suspected Robbers in Borno Community

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Recover Explosive Devices During Patrol in Yobe

Published

on

Troops Recover Explosive Devices During Patrol in Yobe

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Headquarters 27 Task Force Brigade, Buni Gari, have recovered several explosive devices during a routine patrol operation in Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State.

Security sources disclosed that the operation was conducted at about 1:00 p.m. on May 22 following intelligence reports on the sighting of suspected ISWAP/JAS terrorists around the Magza general area.

According to the sources, the terrorists fled the area before the arrival of the troops.

During the subsequent search and exploitation of the area, troops recovered four 40mm Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) bombs, one 81mm bomb and four 60mm bombs.

The Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team also conducted a detailed scan of the general area to rule out the presence of additional explosive threats.

The recovered bombs are currently in the custody of the troops for further necessary action.

Military authorities said troops would sustain aggressive patrols and clearance operations aimed at denying terrorists freedom of movement and preventing attacks within the North-East theatre.

Troops Recover Explosive Devices During Patrol in Yobe

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights