Connect with us

National News

Back After Kashim Shettima Sent Us ‘Packing’

Published

on

Back After Kashim Shettima Sent Us ‘Packing’

By Stanley Nkwocha

The mood at the Vice President’s wing of the Presidential Villa on Friday December 22, 2023, was different from what it used to be during preparations for festivities in the yuletide. On the faces of the aides and staff working in the VP’s office was a concatenation of excitement and incredulity. Even an amateur telepath would effortlessly sense the relief and exhilaration coursing through them as they discussed among themselves.

What was the excitement all about? The Vice President, Senator Kashim Shettima, had just directed that all his aides and staff who are Christians should proceed on Christmas holidays and resume after the New Year celebrations. It was a big relief for them, especially those who had already been slated for advanced movements ahead of the VP’s official visits to some states.

The thrilling sensation in the VP’s office that weekend was however not unexpected. Such a gesture from a leader pertaining to the welfare of his workers is quite rare in this part of the globe, especially in Nigeria where aides and staff of Aso Rock Villa would have to work round the clock to maintain and sustain presidential schedules.

As an aide or staff in the seat of power, your life is no longer your own. Work-life balance doesn’t exist. You hardly have a weekend planned, entailing that you must have to cope with events of close friends and family members you will have to miss. This is apart from not seeing them more often, as you would not be at liberty to frequently take a vacation.

However, it was a completely different ball game for the 2023 yuletide, as the workers were asked to go home and celebrate the Christmas holiday with their families, courtesy of the VP’s human side of officialdom and bureaucracy. That is Vice President Shettima for you – a boss who takes the welfare of his workers seriously. He cares about life outside of work and is conscious about the things that are important to those working with him, irrespective of class and religious affiliations. He would check in to see how things are going for them.

A true example of what it means to be a servant leader, the Vice President is one of the most humble, compassionate leaders that I have personally met. He is a man who leads by example and is committed to creating a better future for the next generation.

His approach to work and style of leadership which treats the ‘ordinary’ man with the same delight as those of the ruling class are fundamentally both humane and democratic. At work, he gives you ample time to explain your expectations, as he patiently answers your questions, and he is available if you need help. He also encourages all his staff to work together, help one another and be a true team.

Yet, for himself, state governors and other top government officials, Vice President Shettima did not see the need to go on vacation when, according to him, a lot needed to be done to save the nation’s economy. At the 138th meeting of the National Economic Council (NEC) which was held on December 21, 2023, he told council members to shelve the idea of vacation and concentrate on issues of governance with a view to easing the burden of the citizens.

“As the year draws to a close, none of us in this chamber should anticipate a vacation. I tend to think so because upon our shoulders rests the weight of responsibilities from which we cannot escape. We are returning to be judged by the promises we made to be here,” he told the NEC members suggestively.

The message here was simple and direct: as public office holders, members of NEC should realise that there is no time for revelries and merriment because ‘to whom much is given, much is expected.’

At the national level alongside his principal, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, a seasoned democrat, Kashim Shettima is replicating the same leadership direction required by his Boss as manifested during his visit to Bende in Abia State last Friday where he unveiled the Peace in South East Project (PISE-P) initiated by the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Benjamin Okezie Kalu.

The VP declared the readiness of the Tinubu administration to put an end to the reign of terror in the South East region by those he designated as self-serving criminals working in cahoots with certain persons taking advantage of the security situation to foster their dangerous political agenda. He vowed that the administration will deploy all available resources to eliminate the purveyors of falsehoods and propaganda that have become weapons against Nigeria’s unity.

And to confirm the confidence the people of the South East have in the VP and his boss, the duo were given traditional titles. President Tinubu was conferred with Omeziri Igbo 1, while VP Shettima got the traditional title of Enyioma Ndigbo by the Chairman of the Abia State Council of Traditional Rulers, Eze Linus Mbah.

Tacitly justifying the traditional titles conferred on the VP and his principal, chairman of the South East Governor’s Forum, Governor Hope Uzodimma of Imo State, said Senator Shettima has demonstrated sufficient goodwill to the people of the region. “Our Vice President has shown sufficient goodwill to the people of the South East. From this part of the country, we will continue to work with the rest of Nigeria to make the country a prosperous nation for the interest of all of us for service to God and humanity,” the governor stated.

Indeed, in a country where religion, tribalism and regionalism are often used to divide and conquer, Vice President Shettima remains a staunch believer in the unity and progress of Nigeria. He has consistently demonstrated his commitment to a united Nigeria where every citizen is treated equally, regardless of their religion, tribe or ethnicity.

As we return to work following his ‘henlele dey go’ directive, one cannot but see the freshness amongst fellow colleagues who clearly are more invigorated and focused to support the Vice President in achieving the monumental set goals, targets and visions of the Tinubu administration.

May God bless us with a most prosperous new year.

  • Nkwocha is the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media & Communications (Office of The Vice President).

Back After Kashim Shettima Sent Us ‘Packing’

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

El-Rufai Puts Ribadu on Trial

Published

on

El-Rufai Puts Ribadu on Trial

By Frank Tietie

A man who is neither drunk nor high on drugs, but in his clear and sane mind, goes on a prime-time show on a continental television network like the Arise News Channel and proclaims that he got information from someone who tapped the phone line of the National Security Adviser (NSA) of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. How should the Nigerian government react?

It becomes a Catch-22 for the Nigerian government whether to respond to El-Rufai’s latest tirade. But to react hastily would fail to see the damning point Nasir El-Rufai is trying to make, which is to show the ineptitude of Nuhu Ribadu as NSA. The government should have seen through the former Kaduna State governor’s bravado.

Of course, El-Rufai knows the possibility that Ribadu would fall for the trick and might actually order his detention, either for statements made on live international television or for the bared waiting fangs of the EFCC. Sonit appears he had prepared for the worst, but probably not for death in the hands of his sworn enemies through poisoning. Hence, he immediately alerted the world to the Gestapo treatment that is usually given to some government enemies when they are in detention. So he quickly accuses the same Nuhu Ribadu of importing thallium sulphate, a lethal poison suitable for eliminating political enemies quietly. This he has done, in case he, himself or any other opposition politicians die in detention as 2027 approaches. What a way to shift the burden?

The choice of the government to charge El-Rufai for cybercrimes over the claims he made on live on Arise News Prime Time show about tapping the NSA’s phone is a tacit yet loud acknowledgement that any NSA whose phone can be tapped so easily is not only incompetent, but highly undisciplined and lackadaisical on national security matters. Tell me, which serious country, like the United States of America, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Russia, or Saudi Arabia, would take the National Security Adviser of Nigeria seriously if they knew that an ordinary citizen could easily tap his phone?

What Malam Nasir El-Rufai has done is not to present technical evidence of interception. Rather, he has thrown a political gauntlet designed to provoke a reaction. The trap is simple: once the state moves against him, the conversation shifts from the accuracy of his claim to the conduct and capability of those charged with safeguarding national security.

A hurried resort to criminal prosecution risks missing the wider implication that public officers, particularly those occupying sensitive security positions, are expected to inspire confidence, not anxiety.

Therefore, if the state frames a prosecution around a claim that the NSA’s line could be tapped, the unintended consequence is that the allegation receives international circulation, renewed media life and diplomatic attention. In effect, the courtroom becomes a megaphone for the NSA’s failures.

Consequently, if the charge against El-Rufai is driven by reputational discomfort or the political embarrassment that he has caused Ribadu or the Tinubu government. It risks being counterproductive, especially in a democratic setting that has a high tolerance for speech directed at public officials.

Statements that are provocative, speculative or even reckless are often part of political contestation, especially as 2027 approaches. They should not be the basis for criminal charges. Such statements are best answered by clarification, transparency, and institutional reassurance, rather than the coercive weight of arrest, arraignment, and trial.

To prosecute El-Rufai in circumstances such as this may therefore produce the exact opposite of deterrence. It can elevate and transform him into a cause, especially among Northern Nigeria elements, and suggest that the government is more eager to punish criticism than to disprove it.

The other dimension is the possibility that such a trial would invite scrutiny, arguments, cross-examinations, and global reporting, further exposing Ribadu or the government. Meanwhile, silence would have buried it faster.

Instead of dismissing El-Rufai as someone probably chasing political clout, the choice to charge him would validate his point and expose Nuhu Ribadu as unfit to be NSA.

El-Rufai is no ordinary politician. He combines the arts of casuistry, statecraft, populism and activism for political relevance, and he is yet on another journey to reinvent himself politically to the detriment of his foes like Ribadu. But he also wants to come out alive. And even if he dies in the process, he seems not to care much, as long as such would deal the maximum blow to the political careers of his traducers.

If anyone thinks El-Rufai is being diminished by his latest travails, they should think again. In fact, it is he who is putting some persons on trial in the court of reason.

Frank Tietie
Lawyer and Public Affairs Commentator,
Writes from Abuja

El-Rufai Puts Ribadu on Trial

Continue Reading

National News

Civil Society Escalates Pressure on Senate Over ‘Conditional’ Electronic Transmission Clause

Published

on

Civil Society Escalates Pressure on Senate Over ‘Conditional’ Electronic Transmission Clause

By: Michael Mike

Tension over proposed changes to Nigeria’s electoral framework deepened on Monday as the Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room demanded the immediate adoption of unconditional electronic transmission of results in the amendment to the Electoral Act, warning that any dilution of the reform could erode public trust ahead of the 2027 general elections.

At a protest held at the entrance of the National Assembly in Abuja, the coalition accused the Senate of weakening critical safeguards in the Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2025 by introducing what it described as “conditional transmission” of results.

Addressing demonstrators, Co-Convener of the Situation Room and Country Director of ActionAid Nigeria, Andrew Mamedu, said Nigerians were demanding a clear, mandatory provision that compels real-time electronic transmission of results from polling units without exceptions.

“Our future is in our hands because we voted for these representatives. On behalf of Nigerians, we are stating unequivocally that electronic transmission of results must be mandatory and without conditions,” Mamedu declared.

The coalition argued that the Senate’s version departs from earlier understandings reached during consultations between stakeholders and the Joint National Assembly Committee on Electoral Matters. It warned that inserting discretionary clauses could create legal ambiguities capable of being exploited during elections.

Specifically, the group urged the conference committee reconciling the Senate and House versions of the bill to adopt the House of Representatives’ position making real-time electronic transmission from polling units to the INEC Result Viewing Portal compulsory.

According to the protesters, anything short of mandatory transmission risks reopening controversies that trailed previous elections and could undermine voter confidence in the electoral system.

They also called for the retention of the 360-day election notice timeline contained in earlier drafts of the amendment, stressing that predictable timelines are essential for planning, voter education and logistics.

In a letter presented to lawmakers, the coalition stated: “Instead of strengthening Nigeria’s electoral framework, the Senate amendment weakens key safeguards necessary for credibility and public trust.”

On concerns about network coverage and technical feasibility, the group insisted that real-time transmission is achievable. It cited previous off-cycle governorship elections in states such as Imo, Kogi and Bayelsa, where high transmission rates were recorded.

The coalition dismissed claims that connectivity gaps would cripple the system, noting that telecommunications data show that areas without network access constitute only a small fraction of polling units nationwide. It explained that results are first collated at polling units before being uploaded, and where connectivity is unavailable, the system can securely store data and automatically transmit once network access is restored.

Civil society organisations also faulted remarks attributed to the Senate President questioning the practicality of real-time transmission, maintaining that the infrastructure and technology required are already in place.

At the rally, women’s advocacy groups broadened the protest, calling for the expedited passage of the special seats bill for women as part of ongoing constitutional amendments. They argued that electoral integrity must go hand in hand with inclusive representation.

Responding on behalf of the House of Representatives, spokesperson Akin Rotimi assured protesters that their concerns would be conveyed to the leadership of the chamber. He said the Speaker supports the amendment, while the Deputy Speaker is among its sponsors.

Rotimi acknowledged the low representation of women in the legislature as a “serious injustice” and pledged that constitutional amendment proposals, including provisions for reserved seats for women, would be subjected to electronic voting.

Despite the assurances, the Situation Room vowed to sustain advocacy until a final version of the bill guarantees compulsory, real-time electronic transmission of results and restores what it described as the “spirit of reform” demanded by Nigerians.

“This is about protecting the people’s mandate,” the protesters said. “We will not relent until the law reflects the will of the citizens.”

Civil Society Escalates Pressure on Senate Over ‘Conditional’ Electronic Transmission Clause

Continue Reading

National News

VP Shettima Attends AU Heads of State Plenary Session

Published

on

VP Shettima Attends AU Heads of State Plenary Session

By: Our Reporter

Vice President Kashim Shettima is attending the plenary of the 39th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the African Union in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

The opening session has drawn leaders from across the continent and beyond, as delegates convene to address critical issues under this year’s theme: “Assuring Sustainable Water Availability and Safe Sanitation Systems to Achieve the Goals of Agenda 2063.”

The Vice President is representing President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the high-level gathering.

VP Shettima Attends AU Heads of State Plenary Session

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights