Connect with us

News

Badenoch Visits First UK Independent School in West Africa

Published

on

Badenoch Visits First UK Independent School in West Africa

By: Michael Mike

The United Kingdom Minister for Business and Trade, Kemi Badenoch has visited the first British independent school in West Africa, Charterhouse School – building on the UK government’s commitment to supporting Nigeria’s desire to offer high quality education.

Badenoch, on Monday toured the construction site of the new campus located in Lekki Ajah, Lagos with the Prime Minister’s Special Envoy for Girls Education, Helen Grant.

Recent talks between the UK and Nigeria have helped to remove restrictions to Transnational Education investment in Nigeria worth around £50 million – enabling UK Higher Education institutions build TNE partnerships with their Nigerian counterparts, with hope that this first major investment into Nigeria’s education sector will pave the way for more.

According to a statement by the British High Commission on Monday, the school aims to deliver a strong academic curriculum with day and boarding facilities, and with a focus on intra and extra-curricular activities including sports, arts, and science.

It will open its doors to primary and secondary school students from Nigeria and beyond starting September 2024.

UK Minister for Trade and Business Kemi Badenoch said: “It’s brilliant to see the progress of the construction work at the Charterhouse site – the first UK independent school in West Africa.

“The UK education system is rightly renowned around the world, and I hope the school will deliver a world-class learning experience to many students who choose to study here in Nigeria.

Head / Director of Education, Charterhouse School, John Todd said: “We are honoured to welcome the UK’s Secretary of State for Business and Trade to Charterhouse Lagos as we showcase the amazing facilities we are building.

“As Nigeria’s first British independent school, we are proud of our British heritage through our partnership with Charterhouse UK and reaffirm our commitment to delivering world-class education in Nigeria.

“We express our gratitude to the UK government through the British Deputy High Commission in Lagos for their unwavering support over the past year.”

According to the statement, Badenoch while in Lagos, will meet with other key businesses including Standard Chartered Bank, Avanti Satellite Communications and IHS Towers, as well as the British development finance institution, British International Investment (BII), to discuss trade and investment opportunities for businesses on both sides.

Badenoch Visits First UK Independent School in West Africa

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.

The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.

Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.

Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights