Connect with us

News

Bago Calls for Governors Support in Tackling Human Trafficking, Violence Against Persons

Published

on

Bago Calls for Governors Support in Tackling Human Trafficking, Violence Against Persons

By: Michael Mike

The Governor of Niger State, Mohammed Umaru Bago has called on State Governors across the country to join hands with the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) to tackle the issues of human trafficking and violence against persons in the country.

Bago, while observing that the phenomenon of human trafficking and violence against persons are issues of serious concern that require the collective support and collaboration of all state and non-state actors across the sub-national levels of government, said: “The focus on violence in persons and also trafficking in persons is very important, especially in Northern Nigeria.”

The governor who paid host ti the Management of NAPTIP led by the Director General, Binta Bello at the Niger State Liaison Office, Abuja, on Tuesday, said: “We have a lot of out-of-school children especially girls and also a lot of domestic violence issues arising from that. We also have issues of violence against women as a fallout of the insecurity in the region.”

The Director General had visited the Governor as part of her strategic engagement with critical stakeholders in the fight against human trafficking.

Bago said: “There is the need for the government at the sub-national especially the northern Nigeria, to collaborate with NAPTIP to effectively address these issues.”

The governor while lauding the achievements of the Director General within the short time of her appointment, announced robust support including land for the immediate take-off of the Niger State Command of NAPTIP.

He said: “We shall give you a land with Certificate of Occupancy for the establishment of the Niger State Command and we want this project to start immediately. If you have the personnel ready, we can also get you temporary accommodation so that you can open the Command in February. We are also ready to accommodate and provide support for you to establish NAPTIP Regional Command Office in Niger State. We are very ambitious to have the Northern Command of this very important agency.”

Earlier in her speech, Binta Bello, who briefed the Governor on the establishment and mandates of the agency, stated that “our presence in Niger State is paramount to executing our mandates effectively. It is to enable us to work closely with the State authorities, local communities, and other stakeholders to prevent trafficking, protect victims, and prosecute offenders.

“Also, our desire to have a presence in your State is due to several cases of child trafficking, Child labour, and domestic servitude that we received across sub-national levels which include Niger State”.
She appreciated the response and the immediate promise of support for the establishment of the Niger State Command and urged other State Governments to emulate the gesture of Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago.

Bago Calls for Governors Support in Tackling Human Trafficking, Violence Against Persons

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Suspected Boko Haram Logistics Supplier Arrested in Hong LGA

Published

on

Suspected Boko Haram Logistics Supplier Arrested in Hong LGA

By: Zagazola Makama

The Nigerian Army troops have arrested a suspected Boko Haram logistics supplier, Ismail Muhammed, 28, in the Visik General area of Hong Local Government Area, Adamawa State.

Sources said the arrest was carried out on Thursday by the troops of 28 Task Force Brigade in collaboration with local vigilantes and hunters.

Items recovered from the suspect included one AK-47 magazine, one round of 7.62mm special ammunition, a jungle hat, 10 bags of salt, two cartons of spaghetti, two sachets of seasoning cubes, a sachet of tom-tom, and bitter kola.

The suspect is currently in custody for further investigation, authorities said, as operations continue to disrupt Boko Haram supply chains in the North-East region.

Suspected Boko Haram Logistics Supplier Arrested in Hong LGA

Continue Reading

News

Attack on BIR Post in Bargaram Leaves One Soldier Dead, Five Wounded

Published

on

Attack on BIR Post in Bargaram Leaves One Soldier Dead, Five Wounded

By: Zagazola Makama

At least one soldier was killed and five others wounded during a night attack on a Battalion of the Rapid Intervention Brigade (BIR) post along the Cameroon-Nigeria border in Bargaram.

Zagazola learnt that the incident occurred between the night of Feb. 18 and the early hours of Feb. 19 at approximately 01:00 a.m., when armed assailants launched an assault on the military installation.

The attack resulted in the death of Private Second Class WAKOM Spkassa Barthélémy (Service No. T2024/53715), while five soldiers sustained injuries, including one reported in critical condition.

Security forces reportedly engaged the attackers, neutralizing five terrorists and recovering a significant cache of weapons and ammunition. Items seized include eight AK-47 rifles, a PKM machine gun, one anti-personnel rocket, two anti-tank rockets, a grenade launcher, 11 AK-47 magazine boxes, 242 rounds of 7.62 x 54 mm ammunition, 121 rounds of 7.62 x 39 mm ammunition, a motorcycle, and a camera.

The wounded soldiers were evacuated to the District Hospital of Mada for medical treatment, while the body of the fallen soldier was transferred to the mortuary of the Regional Hospital of Maroua.

Authorities have been urged intensified security measures along the border region to prevent further attacks and maintain operational readiness.

Attack on BIR Post in Bargaram Leaves One Soldier Dead, Five Wounded

Continue Reading

News

Nigerian Army decimates bandits, rescues captives in Niger State

Published

on

Nigerian Army decimates bandits, rescues captives in Niger State

By: Zagazola Makama

The Nigerian Army has successfully neutralised armed bandits and rescued numerous captives in a recent operation across Eriya and A’ure communities of Mariga Local Government Area, as well as border areas of Magama LGA in Niger State.

According to sources, the operation targeted bandits who had migrated from the Ibbi–Zugurma sector of Kainji National Park. While relocating from their former camp in Ibbi Forest, the criminals reportedly attacked civilians along their route, killing some and abducting others, while transporting previously kidnapped victims.

Troops from Warari Forward Operating Base (FOB) and Gulbin Boka FOB, Kontagora Barracks, engaged the criminals in a series of coordinated assaults, neutralising a significant number of terrorists. Several fleeing bandits sustained gunshot injuries, diminishing their capacity to regroup or carry out further attacks.

The operation also led to the successful rescue of men, women, and children who had been held in captivity. Military officials described the intervention as a demonstration of superiority, discipline, and unwavering commitment to protecting innocent lives.

The military sources lauded the bravery and professionalism of the troops, highlighting their contribution to restoring peace and confidence in the affected communities.

Efforts to sustain operational pressure on bandits in the region continue, with the sources urging communities to cooperate with security agencies to ensure lasting peace and stability.

Nigerian Army decimates bandits, rescues captives in Niger State

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights