News
Borno flags off 2nd phase of training for 781 incompetent teachers
Borno flags off 2nd phase of training for 781 incompetent teachers
…Present N783 million cheques for participants
By: Ndahi Inusa
Following the inability of thousands of Primary School Teachers to pass competent test earlier conducted, in which they are yet to be placed on N30,000 minimum wage, the Borno state government under the leadership of governor Babagana Zulum has flagged the second phase for the training of 781 teachers who were yet benefit from the N30,000 minimum wage.
This is as the sum of N783 million cheques has been approved and disbursed for the three months exercise at Bama College of Education, venue for the training.
The 781 second beneficiaries were part of the over 2,740 teachers, mostly those who failed to meet up with the 2019 Verification and the 2022 competency tests organized by a committee that were constituted by the present administration.
Just last week, a total of about 1,949 teachers formed part of 1st phase free training at Waka- Biu college of Education in southern Borno Senatorial District, where the sum of over N1 billion cheque were presented.
Unveiling the second training on Monday at Umar Ibn- Ibrahim College of Education, Science and Technology (UIICEST), Bama in Borno Central, Governor Zulum, represented by his Deputy, Dr. Umar Usman Kadafur said, “the programme underscore the pragmatic policy initiative of this
Government in the critical sector of education, as such, is quite
appropriate and timely.
“You may recall that on Monday, 6th May, 2024, we unveiled phase 1 of this significant programme with one thousand nine hundred and fourty nine (1,949) teachers from 27 Local
Government Areas. This initiative is part of Government broader commitment to improving the quality of education in the State, as outlined during the inauguration of the Local Government Education Secretaries on March, 19th 2024.
“It is strategically pertinent to note that Government allocated a substantial sum of one billion naira (N1 Billion) for
the training of 2,730 teachers. These educators will undergo rigorous training at both the College of Education Waka-Biu and Umar Ibn Ibrahim El-Kanemi College of Education, Science and
Technology Bama.
“The duration of the program is three months, covering one thousand eight hundred and eighty four (1,884)
teachers through a sandwich programme and eight hundred and
forty six (846) teachers through a full-time NCE program.
“It may interest you to note that the aim of this initiative is to address issues of remuneration, retention and most importantly the competency of our teachers in line with national standards.
The program is free of charge and each participants is entitle to N30,000.00 monthly stipend, in addition to their regular salaries. Those enrolled in full-time NCE program will attain automatic in- service status.
On this note, let me use this medium and urge the participant to approach this opportunity with utmost dedication
and seriousness, knowing fully well that successful completion of the program and passing the competency test will lead to a review of wages.
“To ensure adequate preparation, the Ministry of Education has been directed to release an additional sum of
fifty thousand naira (N50,000) to all participants”. Zulum stated.
In his address, the Commissioner Education, Science, Technology and Innovation, Engr. Lawan Wakilbe while commending governor Zulum and all state holders for repositioning the sector said, the ceremony is a pivotal step in journey toward revitalizing basic education in the state.
He hinted on the Needs Assessment carried out in 2021, which prompted the competency test for teachers across the different Local Government Education Authorities that took place from 5th to 20th January 2022.
Wakilbe noted that “the outcome of the test revealed that Five thousand Two Hundred and Fifty-Seven (5,257) individuals passed, Six Thousand Two Hundred and Twenty-seven (6,227) were considered trainable, and Four Thousand Three Hundred and Thirty-Nine (4,339) were found to be untrainable.
“The challenges facing basic education in our state have reached critical levels, particularly following the cessation of the direct absorption of Primary School teachers from their Teachers’ Colleges.
“The absence of a structured employment framework has led to various issues, including discrepancies in salary scales and the recruitment of
underqualified personnel. Consequently, the Borno State Government has been confronted with significant challenges in teacher recruitment, remuneration, and
retention.
“Therefore, decisive measures have been taken to address these challenges, especially the authorization granted for the Ministry of Education to reassign untrained personnel from Local Government Education Authorities (LGEAs) to alternative roles, freeing up positions for qualified individuals.
“Secondly, a comprehensive assessment of manpower requirements within the LGEAs has been authorized, leading to the employment of suitable candidates to meet those needs. And lastly, plans for Phase III of the teacher training program have been initiated, encompassing individuals with Diplomas and those unable to participate in the initial training phase.
“Additionally, arrangements are
underway for further education and development programs through the Institute of Education at Borno
State University (BOSU) for eligible personnel.” Wakilbe stated.

Also speaking, the Executive Chairman of Borno State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Professor Bulama Kagu, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Dr. Hyelni Mshelia lauded governor Zulum for magnanimously ordered the lifting of the embargo on promotions across the Civil Service, including teachers.
“Borno SUBEB has taken decisive steps to implement this executive order. First, the management issued a circular to all former education secretaries, urging them to urgently compile authenticate, and submit the list of all deserving teaching and non-teaching staff due for promotions.
“Secondly, the management constituted an ad- hoc committee to screen and verify submissions from the Local Government Education Authorities (LGEAs). However, a change in leadership within the LGEAs necessitated another circular from the
management to the new education secretaries to revalidate and Submit the earlier list.
“This process is ongoing, and I urge all our education secretaries to expedite their actions.
“Thirdly, the management has written through the Honourable Commissioner to the Deputy Director of Statistics, Ministry of Education, Science, Technology, and Innovation, requesting the submission of the list of NCE and graduate teachers with their current salary scales for appropriate placement, considering their experience and years of service.

“Once this data is collated, the committee will expeditiously work on it and submit it to the management for the board’s consideration and, ultimately, for government approval.
“Presently, 5,408 teachers are on their qualifications. We have 3,096 teachers with NCE qualifications, of whom 1,907 are already appropriately placed.
“Another 1,189 require upgrading and will be placed on GL 07 step 1 immediately. We have 1,032-degree holders, of whom 324 are appropriately placed, while 708 teachers with degrees will be upgraded immediately to GL 08 step 1. Seven teachers hold master’s degrees, and only one needs upgrading.
Earlier in his welcome address, Professor Kalli Tijjani, Provost of UIICEST, Bama appreciated the efforts pit in place by the present administration in improving quality of teaching, and pledged that participants would receive the basic training needed to inculcate knowledge to pupils and students in the state.
In their separate goodwill messages, the Shehu of Bama, Alhaji, Dr. Kyari Umar Kyari El-Kanemi, the Chairman of Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Borno chapter, Comrade Zali Garba and the Chairman of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) in the state, Comrade Yusuf Inuwa cautioned people to stop politicizing the issue of education, in which some resort to social media alleging poor salary package to those incompetent teachers who were supposed to be laid off from the teaching profession.
Borno flags off 2nd phase of training for 781 incompetent teachers
News
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.
The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.
According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.
The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
News
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.
The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.
According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.
The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
News
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
By: Zagazola Makama
The reported deadly attack on a Nigerien Army engineering unit near Garbougna in the Tillaberi Region marks a significant escalation in the evolving security dynamics of western Niger and the wider Sahel.
With an estimated 67 soldiers and civilians reportedly killed and a military camp destroyed, the incident underscores both the intensity and increasing sophistication of militant operations in the region.
Beyond the immediate casualties, the attack is notable for its attribution to Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), which swiftly claimed responsibility. Tillaberi have long been considered a stronghold of Islamic State in the Sahel (IS Sahel), suggesting a possible shift in operational influence or encroachment into contested territory.
The incident reflects an emerging pattern of geographic diffusion of jihadist violence across the Tera–Niamey corridor, an axis that has repeatedly come under pressure from armed groups. The corridor connects several vulnerable departments, including Tera, Torodi, Say and Ayorou, all of which have experienced repeated attacks in recent years.
The Garbougna attack also fits into a broader sequence of high-casualty operations across Niger since early 2026, including reported strikes near Niamey airport in January and Makalondi in February. These incidents collectively indicate sustained pressure on Nigerien security forces and an expanding operational reach of armed groups closer to strategic population centres.
Of particular concern is the apparent intensification of competition between IS Sahel and JNIM. While both groups have historically operated in overlapping zones, recent claims of responsibility and counter-claims suggest a more overt struggle for influence, recruitment, and territorial control. The reported clash between the two factions near Petel Kole earlier in the year further supports this assessment.
The implications of this rivalry are significant. Rather than reducing violence through competition, the fragmentation of jihadist groups in the Sahel has in some cases resulted in increased attacks, as factions seek to demonstrate operational strength and legitimacy.
At the same time, the weakening of state presence in rural and border communities is compounding the crisis. Reports of closed schools, non-functional health facilities, and inactive markets point to a gradual erosion of governance structures in affected areas. This vacuum continues to facilitate militant mobility and recruitment.
Another critical dimension is the increasing use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which has reportedly hindered post-attack clearance operations in the Garbougna area. Such tactics not only slow military response but also expand the risk zone for civilians and security forces alike.
Strategically, Tillaberi remains the epicentre of Niger’s insecurity challenges, given its proximity to the Mali and Burkina Faso border regions. The corridor’s proximity to Niamey raises additional concerns, particularly regarding potential spillover effects into the capital’s security perimeter.
The Garbougna attack, therefore, illustrates a convergence of three destabilising trends: escalating casualty levels, intensified jihadist competition, and shrinking state control in border regions. Taken together, these dynamics suggest a deteriorating security outlook for western Niger, with implications that extend beyond national boundaries into the wider Sahel security architecture.
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
