Connect with us

News

Borno Flood: Kashim Imam Begins Distribution of Cooked Meals to Victims

Published

on

Borno Flood: Kashim Imam Begins Distribution of Cooked Meals to Victims

By: Michael Mike

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s Parliamentary Liaison Officer, Alhaji Kashim Imam has volunteered to provide meals to large number of people displaced by recent flood the submerge more than half of Maiduguri, the Borno State Capital and its environs.

Imam, who is also a former Chairman of the Board of Trustees (BOT) of the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund), under President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration on Wednesday said the gesture became imperative in order to present many residents of the state who had been thrown into discomfort as result of the devastating flood, which has resulted in unprecedented devastation, with over 30 lives lost, 23,000 residential houses destroyed, and 414,000 people displaced, critical infrastructure, including bridges, roads, electricity systems, healthcare facilities, and schools, severely damaged, including approximately one million people losing their source of livelihood.

Imam. who is known for his philanthropic acts have had to relocate to Maiduguri to supervise the distribution to internally displaced persons camps accommodating the victims of the disaster in Maiduguri and its environs.

According to Imam who spoke during a brief press conference, “We are saddened by the shared numbers of lives lost, by our account, it’s running into hundreds and sadly their bodies are being discovered daily as water recedes. The carnage, the loss of lives, the loss of properties and unimaginable displacements.

“The immediate emphasis is on food, I have seen people crying they haven’t eaten in two days and this is an immediate concern of everybody, as water recedes and we count our losses then these other challenges will also come to the fore.

“In line with the appeal of Governor Zulum, we elected to focus on alleviating the suffering of those affected by providing food and water with immediate effect so I am happy to inform you that I am providing a total of 200,000 food packs we have already commenced with an average of 6,000 a day and we wish to scale to 10,000 packs every day,” Imam said.

Imam, who was at different times the gubernatorial candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in the state before joining the All Progressives Congress (APC) said the food distribution is only the first step in his intervention pointing out that “ there are short, medium and long time plans of assisting the flood victims “.

He lamented that: “Almost every indigene of Borno is sad and saddened by the devastation that has befallen my home town Maiduguri . We are saddened by the sheer number of lives lost, which by all accounts running into hundreds. Nobody can give you exact accurate figures. Still and sadly there are bodies that are being discovered daily as the water recedes. Sadly nobody has the most accurate figures. It is very factual that it runs into hundreds of lives lost.

“Thousands of people are homeless. All there homes have been destroyed by the floods; nobody was prepared for this; our poele were caught unawares in the middle of the night. The floods came in the middle of the night and all accounts points at between midnight and half past midnight. Most people were already home in bed and most were asleep. All were caught unawares. Nobody saw this coming and nobody was prepared for this. The carnage, the lost of life, the loss of properties is enormous. Those that were rescued managed to escape with the cloths that they were wearing. And if you go round the metropolis, out of the 15 wards in Maiduguri, only four were not affected. Eleven were badly affected. In some of these wards, more than a week after people are still trapped they cannot come out.

Fatima Imam, one of the daughters of Imam who was part of the group that oversee the food packaging, revealed that members of her family have continued to work round the clock to ensure cooked food reaches all the victims.

She said: “We try to feed as many people as possible every day- sometimes we cook rice, stew and beef while other times Jollof rice. We cook at least 20 bags of rice every day – we sleep by 4 am and wake up by 6 am just to make sure we get food across to the flood victims.”

Borno Flood: Kashim Imam Begins Distribution of Cooked Meals to Victims

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nigeria Unveils Net Zero Investment Plan to Unlock Climate Finance, Drive Green Growth

Published

on

Nigeria Unveils Net Zero Investment Plan to Unlock Climate Finance, Drive Green Growth

By: Michael Mike

The Federal Government of Nigeria has launched an ambitious Net Zero Investment Plan (NZIP), a major policy framework designed to mobilise climate finance, accelerate sustainable economic growth, and strengthen the country’s pathway to net zero emissions by 2060.

The plan, unveiled in Abuja by the National Council on Climate Change, represents a significant step in Nigeria’s efforts to translate its climate commitments into concrete investment opportunities capable of attracting both domestic and international financing.

Developed under the NDC Partnership’s “Global Call for NDCs 3.0 and LT-LEDS,” the framework received technical support from Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and funding from the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Climate Action, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety through the International Climate Initiative.

The NZIP is expected to serve as a strategic roadmap for implementing Nigeria’s long-term climate agenda by identifying priority sectors for investment, outlining financing needs, and proposing mechanisms to bridge existing climate finance gaps.

Government officials said the initiative aligns with Nigeria’s broader economic transformation agenda and reinforces the country’s aspiration to emerge as a leading climate-responsive economy in Africa in line with the African Union Agenda 2063.

The investment framework builds on key national policies, including the Nigeria Agenda 2050, the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), and the Long-Term Low-Emission Development Strategy (LT-LEDS), all of which provide the policy backbone for Nigeria’s transition toward sustainable and climate-resilient growth.

Under the LT-LEDS framework, Nigeria targets net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2060, while the NDCs outline short- and medium-term actions under the Paris Agreement.

Speaking at the launch, Country Director of GIZ, Markus Wagner, described the NZIP as a critical instrument for transforming climate goals into bankable projects capable of attracting large-scale investment.

According to him, the framework goes beyond policy declarations by providing a structured mechanism for mobilising public and private capital toward climate resilience, low-carbon industrialisation, and sustainable economic development.

Wagner noted that achieving net zero emissions would require strong collaboration among government institutions, development partners, financial organisations, and the private sector.

He said the plan demonstrates Nigeria’s determination to align climate action with economic development priorities while creating opportunities for innovation, green jobs, and long-term sustainable growth across strategic sectors of the economy.

Analysts say the launch of the NZIP could improve investor confidence in Nigeria’s green economy ambitions and position the country to access increasing pools of global climate finance targeted at low-carbon and climate-resilient development initiatives.

Nigeria Unveils Net Zero Investment Plan to Unlock Climate Finance, Drive Green Growth

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria Reaffirms One-China Policy, Seeks Deeper Economic Partnership With Beijing

Published

on

Nigeria Reaffirms One-China Policy, Seeks Deeper Economic Partnership With Beijing

By: Michael Mike

The Nigeria-China Strategic Partnership (NCSP) has reaffirmed Nigeria’s unwavering commitment to the One-China Principle, describing the country’s position on Taiwan as settled, consistent and non-negotiable.

The reaffirmation comes amid renewed global attention on China’s insistence that the People’s Republic of China remains the sole legitimate government representing China, with Taiwan regarded by Beijing as an inseparable part of its territory.

According to the NCSP, Nigeria’s adherence to the One-China policy dates back more than five decades to the establishment of diplomatic relations with China in 1971, and has remained a cornerstone of bilateral relations between both countries.

The agency noted that Nigeria again demonstrated its commitment during President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s meeting with President Xi Jinping in Beijing in 2024, where both nations issued a joint statement reaffirming Nigeria’s recognition of the People’s Republic of China as the only legal government representing the whole of China.

The NCSP said Nigeria also expressed support for China’s pursuit of national reunification during the high-level engagement.

The statement followed heightened diplomatic conversations surrounding the Taiwan issue after a recent visit to Beijing by a United States delegation reportedly led by President Donald Trump alongside leading American business executives.

Director-General of the NCSP, Joseph Tegbe, said Nigeria intends to build on its longstanding diplomatic ties with China to unlock broader economic opportunities in manufacturing, technology transfer, industrialisation and export-driven production.

Tegbe observed that China has played a major role in supporting Nigeria’s infrastructure development through investments in railway projects, ports, energy facilities, telecommunications and industrial expansion.

He stressed that the partnership should now evolve into deeper collaboration in Nigeria’s digital economy, solid minerals development, agro-processing and consumer markets in order to create a more balanced and productive economic relationship.

The NCSP reiterated its commitment to expanding bilateral cooperation between Nigeria and China across trade, infrastructure, investment, technology transfer and capacity building, with the ultimate objective of delivering measurable economic benefits to Nigerians.

Nigeria Reaffirms One-China Policy, Seeks Deeper Economic Partnership With Beijing

Continue Reading

News

NDLEA Busts Mega Nigerian-Mexican Meth Syndicate, Seizes N480bn Drugs in Largest Lab Raid Ever

Published

on

NDLEA Busts Mega Nigerian-Mexican Meth Syndicate, Seizes N480bn Drugs in Largest Lab Raid Ever

By: Michael Mike

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has dismantled what officials described as one of the most sophisticated transnational drug syndicates ever uncovered in Nigeria, arresting a notorious drug baron, three Mexican methamphetamine experts, and six Nigerian collaborators in a sweeping operation spanning Ogun and Lagos states.

The operation also led to the discovery and destruction of what the agency called the largest clandestine methamphetamine laboratory ever found in the country, hidden deep inside a forest in Ijebu area of Ogun State.

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the NDLEA, Mohamed Buba Marwa, disclosed the details on Wednesday during a media briefing at the agency’s headquarters in Abuja, describing the raid as a major blow against transnational organised crime and illicit drug manufacturing networks operating in Nigeria.

According to Marwa, elite operatives from the agency’s Special Operations Unit executed coordinated strikes across Ogun and Lagos within 48 hours after months of intelligence gathering and surveillance.

He said the primary target was a remote property located inside Abidagba forest in Ijebu East Local Government Area of Ogun State, allegedly operated by a drug trafficking organisation headed by suspected kingpin, Anochili Innocent.

Marwa revealed that operatives stormed the forest laboratory on May 16, catching members of the cartel while processing illicit substances.

Among those arrested were three Mexican nationals identified as methamphetamine production specialists allegedly brought into Nigeria to run the operation. They were named as Martinez Felix Nemecto, Jesus López Valles, and Torrero Juan Carlos.

Four Nigerian collaborators arrested at the laboratory were identified as Nwankwo Sunday Christian, Igwe Abuchi Remijus, Ifeanyichukwu Chibuike Joshua, and Egwuonwu Uchenna Victor.

Simultaneously, another tactical team raided the Lekki residence of the alleged cartel leader at Golf Estate, Lakowe, Lagos, where Anochili was arrested.

Marwa said a search of the property uncovered the passports and mobile phones of the three Mexican suspects, linking the alleged drug baron directly to the importation and coordination of foreign methamphetamine specialists.

The NDLEA boss disclosed that follow-up operations on May 18 led operatives to another property linked to the suspect at Mayfair Estate, Lakowe, where another alleged syndicate member, Kingsley Orike Omonughwa, was arrested.

Investigators also stormed the residence of another suspected collaborator, Emeka Nwobum, said to have operated a strategic stash house for the cartel.

The arrests brought the total number of suspects in custody to 10, including the kingpin, the Mexican specialists, and six Nigerian collaborators.

Marwa said the operation yielded an unprecedented 2,419.48 kilograms of chemical substances, including crystallised and liquid methamphetamine as well as dangerous precursor chemicals and industrial solvents.

He estimated the international street value of the seized narcotics at 362.9 million dollars, equivalent to over N480 billion.

According to him, the volume of drugs recovered represented millions of potential street doses capable of fueling addiction, violence, and organised crime across local and international markets.

The agency also recovered operational vehicles including a Toyota Tacoma allegedly used at the forest laboratory and a Toyota Highlander seized from the cartel leader’s residence.

Marwa warned that Nigeria would remain hostile territory for drug cartels and foreign criminal networks attempting to establish manufacturing bases in the country.

“We are fully aware of the shifting tactics of these cartels, including the disturbing trend of hiring South American cartel specialists to set up production factories in our rural communities,” he said.

“No matter how deep into the bush you hide, no matter how secure your gated estate is, the NDLEA will hunt you down, dismantle your network, and seize your illicit wealth.”

The NDLEA chairman also linked the latest operation to the recent takedown of another international drug trafficking network allegedly headed by Simon Amadi, saying the agency was intensifying cooperation with global law enforcement partners to combat organised narcotics operations.

He commended operatives of the Special Operations Unit and the agency’s chemical and forensic teams for what he described as exceptional professionalism and bravery during the operation.

Marwa also urged Nigerians to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities, warning that the Ogun forest laboratory had operated under the guise of a legitimate farm.

NDLEA Busts Mega Nigerian-Mexican Meth Syndicate, Seizes N480bn Drugs in Largest Lab Raid Ever

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights