Uncategorized
Borno Sponsors 180 on Postgraduate Studies to Malaysia, India
Borno Sponsors 180 on Postgraduate Studies to Malaysia, India
By: Michael Mike
Borno State Government has sponsored 180 students for higher education in Malaysia and India.
Among the beneficiaries are 12 PhD and 53 master’s students who will study at Sharda University, India as well as another 12 PhD and 73 candidates for Integral University, India.
Twenty-nine other beneficiaries are masters and PhD candidates who will pursue advanced studies at different universities in Malaysia.
During a ceremonial send-forth event held at the Government House in Maiduguri on Thursday, Governor Babagana Zulum urged the beneficiaries to be dedicated to their studies.
He said: “We expect each of you to exhibit a strong dedication to your studies and, in the future, to any professional roles you assume. Your dedication is crucial to ensuring that the benefits of your education directly contribute to the development and progress of Borno State.
“We trust that you will honour this responsibility and use the knowledge and skills you gain to make a positive impact on our society.”
Zulum, while congratulating the beneficiaries, noted that an additional sum of about USD 150 had been approved monthly to cater for their upkeeps.
He said: “At this juncture, I wish to congratulate you on your success. However, I must also remind you that the government has invested significantly in your training. As mentioned earlier, nearly N2 billion will be spent annually on your tuition alone.
“Additionally, I have directed that a monthly allowance of 150 USD be provided for your upkeep. It is important to note that with great opportunities come great responsibilities.
Zulum also promised automatic employment for the beneficiaries of the scholarship after completing their studies.
The governor noted that on their return, some of the beneficiaries would be offered to teach at various tertiary institutions in Borno.
He said: “Those of you pursuing master’s degrees, where possible, try as much as possible to obtain your PhD. On this note, I want to direct the Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Innovation to liaise with the tertiary institutions in the state and see the possibility of recruiting some of today’s beneficiaries so that they will immediately resume duty on their return.”
Earlier, the Commissioner for Education, Science, Technology and Innovation, Engr Lawan Abba Wakilbe, had explained that the 180 beneficiaries were to pursue courses in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) in India and Malaysia.
He also said that while ₦1,988,670,230 was disbursed to cover the tuition fees for the 180 beneficiaries of foreign scholarships, another ₦338,500,000 was allocated for local scholarships, benefiting 303 students.
Borno Sponsors 180 on Postgraduate Studies to Malaysia, India
Uncategorized
Niger Military Report Confirms Loss of Equipment After Attack on GNN Position
Niger Military Report Confirms Loss of Equipment After Attack on GNN Position
By: Zagazola Makama
A classified internal military communication marked “Secret Defense” has confirmed significant losses of equipment following an attack on a Nigerien Gendarmerie Nationale (GNN) position in Kirtachi, in the Tillabéri Region in Niger Republic.
The internal radio message, dated May 22, 2026, indicated that the attack was carried out by suspected fighters of the Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), during which several military assets were reportedly seized.
According to the document, the attackers made away with three armed Toyota pickup vehicles. One of the vehicles was said to be mounted with a 12.7mm heavy machine gun, while the remaining two were fitted with M80-type weapons.
The report further stated that seven motorcycles, locally referred to as “Sababu,” were also taken, alongside GNN uniforms and related operational gear.
Preliminary figures contained in the same communication put the casualty toll at 12 security and defence force personnel killed, while four others were reported missing following the incident.
The document also reportedly urged heightened alertness across operational positions in the region, warning of possible further attacks ahead of the upcoming Tabaski celebrations.
Security sources have not yet issued an official public statement confirming the details contained in the leaked communication.
Niger Military Report Confirms Loss of Equipment After Attack on GNN Position
Uncategorized
Senior Military Officer Dies in Road Traffic Accident Along Kaduna–Zaria Expressway
Senior Military Officer Dies in Road Traffic Accident Along Kaduna–Zaria Expressway
By: Zagazola Makama
A senior military officer, Maj. S. Sayyadi of Headquarters Infantry Corps Command (ICC), has died in a road traffic accident along the Zaria–Kaduna Expressway near the Julius Berger gate, close to Jaji Military Cantonment.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred on May 21 when the officer’s vehicle reportedly collided with a Sino truck that had slowed down to access the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) railway project site located at the New Barracks area in Jaji Military Cantonment.
Following the accident, medical teams from the Armed Forces Command and Staff College (AFCSC) and ICC were swiftly mobilised to the scene, where the officer was confirmed dead due to severe head injuries.
His remains were evacuated to a medical facility before being conveyed to Katsina State in a military ambulance for burial arrangements.
The late officer was laid to rest in Katsina State according to Islamic rites.
Sources said that Military authorities have expressed condolences to the family of the deceased, describing the incident as a tragic loss.
Senior Military Officer Dies in Road Traffic Accident Along Kaduna–Zaria Expressway
Uncategorized
Hidden Wounds Across Borders: Thousands of Women in Nigeria, Somalia Suffer in Silence as Obstetric Fistula Crisis Deepens
Hidden Wounds Across Borders: Thousands of Women in Nigeria, Somalia Suffer in Silence as Obstetric Fistula Crisis Deepens
By: Michael Mike
Thousands of women in Nigeria and Somalia are battling one of the world’s most devastating childbirth injuries — obstetric fistula — amid poverty, weak healthcare systems, insecurity and limited access to emergency maternal care, according to humanitarian medical workers.
A statement on Friday by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), stated that from northern Nigeria to southwestern Somalia, women who survived prolonged and obstructed labour are now living with chronic pain, incontinence, stigma and social isolation after losing control of their bladder or bowel following traumatic childbirth complications.
At Jahun General Hospital in northern Nigeria and Bay Regional Hospital in Somalia, according to the statement, teams from Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and local health authorities are struggling to provide life-changing reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation services to affected women whose lives have been shattered by the condition.
For many of the patients, the injury came after days of labour without access to emergency caesarean sections or skilled medical care — a reality that continues to endanger women in fragile and conflict-affected regions.
The statement said Aisha (not her real name), a young Nigerian woman from Yobe State, arrived at Jahun General Hospital emotionally broken after losing her baby during childbirth and suffering severe internal injuries that left her incontinent.
On the other side of the continent, Hodan (equally not her real name), a Somali woman married off as a teenager, endured eight years of silence and humiliation after a prolonged labour during her first pregnancy left her with the same condition.
“I did not know there was treatment,” Hodan said after finally reaching the fistula unit in Baidoa.
According to MSF, obstetric fistula occurs when prolonged obstructed labour damages tissues between the birth canal and the bladder or rectum, leaving women leaking urine or stool continuously. In about 90 per cent of cases, the baby does not survive.
Medical experts said the condition is closely linked to child marriage, teenage pregnancy, malnutrition, female genital mutilation and the collapse or absence of emergency obstetric services.
In both Nigeria and Somalia, those risk factors are compounded by insecurity, displacement, poor transportation and overstretched health systems, forcing many women to attempt childbirth at home or in poorly equipped facilities.
Dr. Raphael Kananga said many patients arrive at hospitals only after suffering irreversible injuries.
“Most of the women who reach us have already given birth somewhere else or tried to, often at home, and often after several days of labour,” he said.
“By the time they arrive at our hospital, they have already sustained an injury, often with additional infections and complications. Surgical repair is possible, but this should have been prevented from happening in the first place.”
The 55-bed fistula ward at Jahun General Hospital has become a critical lifeline for women across northern Nigeria. Since its establishment in 2008, more than 6,000 reconstructive surgeries have been carried out there.
In 2025 alone, 295 women were admitted, while 224 underwent surgery. Between January and March 2026, another 64 women were admitted, with 48 already receiving surgical treatment.
Care at the facility includes free surgery, physiotherapy, psychological counselling, nutrition support and long-term rehabilitation, with many patients spending up to three months recovering.
Aisha, who has already undergone two surgeries and is awaiting a third procedure, said meeting other survivors gave her hope.
“At first, I thought I would never be cured,” she said. “Then I came here and saw other women with the same condition. I realised I was not alone.”
In Somalia, the fistula unit at Bay Regional Hospital, opened in 2025 with support from MSF and Somalia’s Ministry of Health, remains one of the few specialised centres in the country capable of handling such cases.
Since its launch, only 38 women have received treatment there, even though several thousand more are estimated to require urgent care nationwide.
Frida Athanassiadis said many women live with fistula for years before learning that treatment exists.
“Fistula care is not only about surgery,” she said. “It is about listening, counselling, and helping women rebuild their confidence.”
Healthcare workers warn that demand for fistula care in both countries far exceeds available capacity.
Jahun General Hospital remains the only facility in Jigawa State capable of performing vesicovaginal fistula reconstructive surgery, while Bay Regional Hospital is the only specialised centre in Somalia’s Southwest State.
Humanitarian organisations said the persistence of obstetric fistula reflects deeper failures in maternal healthcare systems across parts of Africa, where preventable childbirth complications continue to claim lives and destroy futures.
Medical experts insisted that fistula is entirely preventable through proper antenatal care, access to trained midwives, timely referrals and emergency caesarean sections before prolonged labour causes permanent tissue damage.
MSF and health officials are now calling for urgent investments in maternal and newborn healthcare services, including skilled birth attendance, emergency obstetric care and expanded fistula treatment programmes for women already living with the condition.
For survivors like Aisha and Hodan, however, the struggle goes beyond physical healing — it is also about reclaiming dignity after years of pain, silence and exclusion.
Hidden Wounds Across Borders: Thousands of Women in Nigeria, Somalia Suffer in Silence as Obstetric Fistula Crisis Deepens
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics12 months ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
