News
Botswana Ready to Learn Nigerian Entrepreneurial, Resilience Spirit, Says Envoy
Botswana Ready to Learn Nigerian Entrepreneurial, Resilience Spirit, Says Envoy
By: Michael Mike
The Botswana High Commissioner to Nigeria, Miss Philda Nani Kereng has sought improved bilateral relations with Nigeria, stating that her country is ready to learn from Nigeria.
Kereng who spoke on Monday night in Abuja on the occasion of her country’s 58 Independence anniversary, said she would be working towards ensuring active projects between both countries.
The envoy said her people want to learn the entrepreneurial and resilience spirit that makes Nigerians excel wherever they find themselves.
She said:”Nigeria for us is a very, very critical partner. We have had relationship with Nigeria for a long time, but this time we want active projects, tangible projects, tangible business collaborations that will see our people trading together, that will see our government trading together, that will see us joining together to lead the rising of the African continent because of the strength that both countries have.”
The envoy said Botswana has special regards for Nigeria, saying “This is a country where we have seen a lot of progress in terms of enterprise, trade, the spirit of enterprise of Nigerians. These people, when they want to do business, they go all out.They hit all milestones and they go against every odds so that they can achieve their intentions.
” We have seen and learned from Nigerians that the mindset of business is something that Botswana wants to learn from. Our people, the government does so much to support small enterprises, micro enterprises, businesses, young people, women and so forth.
“But we want to connect more so that we can learn from you how you do this business, how you venture out in the global space, technology application in trade markets and venturing out into the globe.
” We are also looking up at Nigerian creative sector that is so vibrant. We have talented young people who are not working, but they want to be developed so that they can enter the film industry, fashion industry, food industry, culinary arts, acting, arts, music and everything because Nigeria lives in that space”.
The envoy, who is just four months in Nigeria, said her major task in Nigeria is to foster better trade and business relations between both countries.
According to her: “I’m here to make those connections. And as I celebrate, I know I’m celebrating some milestones because I have already started talking with critical stakeholders. Last week on Monday, we had a business breakfast meeting with the stakeholders in business, giving them information about Botswana investment opportunities. And together we joined one spirit to say we can work together as the two countries.
“At the end of it all, we are using tangible projects and business connections and progress for people of Nigeria and Botswana to make sure that business dealings and business facilitation is made easy for us because we want to both benefit.”
Speaking on areas of interest, the envoy said currently the trade between both countries are secondary and still very small, ” But, you know, we are looking at opportunities where we can get more products from here, especially the natural, you know, products, you know, how you do cosmetics and stuff like that, textiles and so forth.
“We also want to trade on skills and capacities. So there’s not much that we are doing together in terms of volumes of imports and exports, but we are here to cultivate what we have seen a big potential.”
On the other hand, she said Nigeria can learn from her country in the area of agriculture, especially aniimal husbandry.
“Those that are in the agricultural sector, Botswana beef production story, livestock rearing story is very powerful. We have been exporting to the European market the best beef for decades. So we want to teach you how to do animal husbandry, produce quality beef, because here, I’m sorry, I can’t eat the beef because I’ve tasted the best.
“So we want to collaborate for the beef development sector. But Nigeria can also invest in Botswana to do trainings and set academies for the creatives and also bring your products to Botswana. But most importantly also, or more importantly, travel to Botswana as tourists.”
She stressed that “We believe that cultural exchange is a powerful tool for building bridges between nations. By sharing our customs, traditions, and values, we can deepen our understanding and appreciation for one another.
“As we move forward, we’ll continue to promote people-to-people diplomacy, fostering greater understanding and cooperation. We believe that the ties between Botswana and Nigeria will grow stronger with each passing day.”
Botswana Ready to Learn Nigerian Entrepreneurial, Resilience Spirit, Says Envoy
News
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
By: Zagazola Makama
The Federal Government has charged former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, before the Federal High Court, Abuja, over alleged unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
Court documents showed that El-Rufai, 65, appeared as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme on Feb. 13, 2026, where he reportedly admitted to involvement in the interception and to knowing individuals who carried out the act without reporting them to security agencies.

The charges, filed under TABU DET CR/99/2026, include: Count One, Allegedly admitting during the television interview that he and his associates unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, contrary to Section 12 (1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
Count Two, Allegedly stating that he knew individuals who unlawfully intercepted the same communications but failed to report them, in violation of Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024. Count Three, Allegedly using technical systems to compromise public safety and national security, and instilling apprehension among Nigerians, in breach of Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
The case, filed by a team of Federal Government lawyers led by ME Ernest, OM Owan, UM Bulla, CS Eze, and VE G. Orubor, is set to proceed with investigations and trial proceedings.

Authorities said the matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Abuja Judicial Division of the Federal High Court, where the accused will be required to respond to the charges.
The trial is expected to attract significant public attention given the high-profile nature of the accused and the sensitive security issues involved.
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
News
Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna
Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
A disagreement between youths over access to a graveyard escalated into violence on Monday in parts of Kaduna South area of Kaduna State, leaving several persons injured and two houses burnt.
Security sources said a distress call received at about 9:00 a.m. indicated that youths from Makera Village had gone to Ungwan Mission to clear bushes around an abandoned Muslim graveyard in an effort to reopen it.
During the exercise, a youth from Ungwan Mission was reportedly prevented from passing through the site, a development that led him to mobilise others from his community to confront those clearing the graveyard.
The confrontation degenerated into a free-for-all fight, during which some participants sustained injuries and were rushed to hospitals for treatment. Two houses were also set ablaze in Ungwan Mission, though no loss of life was recorded.
Authorities said an emergency stakeholders’ meeting was convened by the Kaduna State Government and led by the Speaker of the State House of Assembly.
The meeting was attended by the Commissioner for Internal Security, representatives of the police, military and Department of State Services (DSS), chairmen of Kaduna South and Chikun Local Government Areas, as well as leaders of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), youth leaders and other stakeholders.
Security agencies said efforts were ongoing to identify and arrest those involved in the violence, while measures had been put in place to prevent further breakdown of law and order in the area.
Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna
News
Nigeria Declares Renewed Support For South Sudan Peace Process
Nigeria Declares Renewed Support For South Sudan Peace Process
By: Our Reporter
As President Tinubu urges release of detained first Vice President, Machar, at AU high-level dialogue
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has pledged Nigeria’s support and commitment to the swift implementation of the provisions of the revitalised agreement on the resolution of the conflict in South Sudan.
Prominent among the nation’s proposals as presented by the President is the immediate and unconditional release of the country’s First Vice President, Riek Machar, and other key opposition figures.

President Tinubu, represented by Vice President Kashim Shettima, stated this Sunday, during the African Union (AU) High-Level Adhoc Committee For South Sudan, tagged the C-5 Plus Summit, chaired by President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa and held on the margins of the 39th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the African Union in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
“We wish to specifically call on the government to consider the immediate and unconditional release from detention of the Vice President and other key opposition figures. It is also imperative to convene an all-inclusive South Sudan national dialogue and reconciliation forum. We call on all parties to engage constructively with authorities in the mediation process without preconditions,” he declared.
President Tinubu said Nigeria joins other countries in Africa in acknowledging the efforts and desire of the South Sudanese stakeholders and people for peace, sustainable development, and speedy resolution of the conflict.
He said, “We support the lofty ambition of all parties and wish to reiterate our doctrinal commitment to accompany the South Sudanese Transitional Government of Unity as well as the good people of the country to actualise their aspiration for lasting peace and development.
“We cannot allow South Sudan to continue on its current trajectory. Without national unity and elite consensus, not much can be achieved on the transition programme in South Sudan.”
President Tinubu urged African leaders to prevail on the country’s stakeholders to “prioritise the conduct of inclusive, peaceful, and transparent national elections. This is the only way to build trust and confidence in the country’s future and leadership.”

He said the recent launch of the Regional Partnership for Democracy by Nigeria in collaboration with development partners was part of the country’s contribution to the resolution of the conflict in South Sudan and beyond.
The Nigerian leader said the current state of insecurity and political tension in that country was hindering progress on several key transitional fronts, especially in the areas of security sector reforms and constitution-drafting processes.
Earlier in his opening remarks, the Chairman of the AU High-Level Ad Hoc Committee for South Sudan, President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa, applauded the determination of African leaders in the resolution of the conflict, especially President Silva’s presence at the meeting, describing it as a reflection of his personal commitment to resolving the conflict.
Urging parties in the conflict to recommit themselves to the resolution of the lingering issues, he regretted the delayed and slow implementation of the revitalised agreement eight years after it was endorsed by stakeholders.
President Ramaphosa commended the efforts of the United Nations, development partners, and other stakeholders in the resolution of the conflict, noting that the “C-5 Plus Summit demonstrates the commitment of leaders to finding a lasting solution in the interest of the people of South Sudan.”
He stressed the need for robust consultation with all parties, stating the importance of engaging with the people of South Sudan and giving counsel only where it is needed.

For his part, the President of Djibouti and Chairman of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), Ismail Omar Guelleh, said the collective efforts of IGAD, the AU, and other partners in the signing of the revitalised agreement have enabled the implementation of the longest ceasefire agreement since the advent of the conflict.
He reaffirmed the commitment of IGAD to the resolution of the conflict in South Sudan as enshrined in the framework that integrates the interests of all parties.
The IGAD chairman proposed the appointment of a lead mediator in the conflict to monitor implementation, assess progress, and address emerging challenges on the path to lasting peace and stability.
Other critical stakeholders in the South Sudan conflict who attended the meeting included the Chairperson of the AU Commission, HE Mahmoud Ali Youssouf; the Prime Minister of Ethiopia, HE Abiy Ahmed Ali; the President of Algeria, Abdelmadjid Tebboune; representatives of the Chadian President, HE Mahamat Itno Deby, and the representative of the Rwandan President, HE Paul Kagame, among others.
Nigeria To Provide Office, Maritime Assets For Gulf Of Guinea Security Force HQ
Meanwhile, Nigeria has pledged full infrastructural and operational support for the Combined Maritime Task Force in the Gulf of Guinea, pledging to provide office buildings, ships, helicopters, and temporary staff as the host nation of the force’s headquarters.
This is even as the government has called for a stronger, coordinated African response to security threats, debt distress and mineral exploitation on the continent.
Speaking earlier during the 39th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the African Union (AU), Vice President Kashim Shettima, who represented President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, said Nigeria would host the Combined Maritime Taskforce for the Gulf of Guinea and provide the necessary infrastructure to ensure its operational effectiveness.
“As host of this taskforce, Nigeria will provide infrastructure, including office buildings, ships, helicopters and temporary personnel to ensure that the Force remains effective in combating transnational organised crimes and enhancing maritime security across the region,” the Vice President said.
Nigeria also welcomed progress recorded on the African Standby Force (ASF) and encouraged accelerated implementation of the MoU between the commission and the Regional Economic Communities/Regional Mechanisms (RECs/RMs).
VP Shettima further expressed support for a deeper analysis to advance the activation of the African Court of Justice and intensified advocacy for the ratification of the African Parliament protocol.
Nigeria Declares Renewed Support For South Sudan Peace Process
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
