News
Chad elections victory for democracy in Africa ~Tuggar
Chad elections victory for democracy in Africa ~Tuggar
By: Michael Mike
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Yusuf Tuggar has congratulated the President-Elect of the Republic of Chad, Mahamat Déby, and the people of Republic of Chad on the just concluded elections.
In his message, Tuggar said: “With the prevalence of unconstitutional changes of government in some African countries it was a reinforcement of participatory democratic ethos to witness the electoral transition in Chad.”
The Minister further expressed the need for all parties to respect the rule of law to avoid a breakdown of law and order.
He reiterated President Bola Tinubu’s commitment to sustained, friendly cooperation between both nations, especially in the fight against terrorism in order to achieve a future of shared prosperity.
Chad elections victory for democracy in Africa ~Tuggar
News
Vice President Shettima Urges Stakeholders To Expand Scope Of Support For MSMEs
Vice President Shettima Urges Stakeholders To Expand Scope Of Support For MSMEs
Says govt. agencies, private sector partners must harness Nigeria’s potential in digital space, agriculture
By: Our Reporter
The Vice President, Senator Kashim Shettima, has implored stakeholders, including financial institutions, government agencies, and the private sector, to expand their scope of support for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in Nigeria.
Emphasizing their critical role in economic growth, job creation, and poverty reduction, he urged them to leverage technology to enhance the MSMEs sector, particularly for young Nigerians in the digital world.
Senator Shettima stated this on Tuesday when he received the 2025-2026 MSME report during the Nigerian MSMEs stakeholders meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

“We have our jobs cut out for us. SMEDAN is doing an awesome job, so also is ITF. Every stakeholder here, from NAFDAC, to CAC, NITDA, Export Promotion Council, and NIPC, is putting in their best, and we are mightily proud of all of you,” he told the stakeholders at the meeting.
Urging government agencies and private sector partners to harness the nation’s potential in the digital space, agriculture, and other key areas that can benefit MSMEs, VP Shettima asked them to take a cue from India, which generated $130 billion in 2025 from business process outsourcing alone, noting that the potentials in that outsourcing space are tremendous.
“So, we need to really harness our potential in the digital space, in agriculture,” he added.
The Vice President thanked the stakeholders for doing a great job in advancing MSMEs in Nigeria, assuring that the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will do all it can to ensure the growth of small businesses in the country.
Speaking earlier, the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, commended the Vice President, describing the meeting as an overview of what has been done by MSMEs over a period of time.
He noted that all the participants and stakeholders facilitating the success of the MSMEs programme were in attendance to appraise the achievements of the programme, even as he revealed that over 250,000 jobs were created and more are on the way.

The Minister also commended the Special Adviser to the President on MSMEs and Job Creation (Office of the Vice President), Mr. Temitola Adekunle-Johnson, for bringing all stakeholders in MSMEs in Africa to converge on Abuja to showcase Nigeria and chat the way forward in enhancing the development of the sector on the continent.
Presenting the MSME report to the Vice President, the Special Adviser to the President on Job Creation and MSMEs, Adekunle-Johnson, gave a brief rundown of how the Renewed Hope Agenda, under President Tinubu, has repositioned MSMEs as a central pillar of national economic transformation and job creation.
He noted that the core focus over the past year had been on improving access to affordable financing, reducing operational constraints through shared infrastructure, strengthening market linkages, and institutionalising recognition frameworks that promote excellence and competitiveness.
On the MSME space in 2025, he noted that access to funding had been expanded through MSME Clinics, which serve as a bridge between the federal government, state governments, and small businesses, thereby creating market visibility, business formalisation opportunities, and access to instant on-site grants for outstanding businesses at each clinic.
Speaking on job creation, the presidential aide disclosed that in the past year, over 11 shared hubs have been deployed, creating more than 250,000 jobs across the country.
On his office’s roadmap for 2026, he said the focus will be on strengthening coordination with partner agencies and state governments, targeting the de-risking of funds, the National MSME Awards, sustainable job creation programmes, capacity development, and improved access to funding.
In his Goodwill message, the Director General of Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN), Charles Odii, commended President Tinubu and Vice President Shettima for “setting the blueprint for Small and Medium Enterprises growth in Nigeria.”
He said the shared facilities created by the MSMEs by the office of the Vice President have engaged the people, even in late hours of the day, creating more jobs, just as he noted that “this is the first time the people have been been so fascinated about the policy of government.”
The Managing Directors of Corporate Affairs Commission, National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), and Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC) also outlined how their respective agencies had benefitted thousands of MSMEs in the past year.
Representatives of Access Bank, Zenith Bank, and Wema Bank all committed to partnering with the Office of the Vice President to ensure that MSMEs get the support they need, even as all stakeholders play their respective roles in moving the Nigerian economy forward.
Vice President Shettima Urges Stakeholders To Expand Scope Of Support For MSMEs
News
FG Launches Single-Digit Loan Scheme to Empower 6,122 Nigerian Entrepreneurs
FG Launches Single-Digit Loan Scheme to Empower 6,122 Nigerian Entrepreneurs
By: Michael Mike
The Federal Government has unveiled a landmark financing programme aimed at transforming Nigeria’s entrepreneurial landscape by providing 6,122 Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) with access to single-digit interest loans under the SMEDAN Inspire–Create–Start–Scale (ICSS) programme.
Launched in Abuja on Tuesday, the initiative is a collaboration between the Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN), Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), and Kaduna Business School, with implementation support from GOPA Worldwide Consultants.
The loan facility will be managed by Jaiz Bank, offering START loans ranging from ₦250,000 to ₦2 million, and SCALE loans between ₦1 million and ₦5 million.

Minister of Youth Development, Ayodele Olawande, highlighted access to finance as a major barrier to entrepreneurship in Nigeria, particularly for youth and underserved communities.
He said the programme is not charity, but a deliberate investment in productivity and sustainable economic growth.
“Training alone is not enough. We must pair it with mentorship, financing, and market access to ensure young entrepreneurs can transform ideas into thriving businesses,” Olawande said. He identified green growth, digital transformation, and practical skills development as key priorities for preparing Nigerian youth for today’s economy.
SMEDAN Director-General, Charles Odii, said the ICSS programme standardises entrepreneurship training to meet global best practices, making participants bankable and investment-ready.
“Many MSMEs have undergone training in the past but could not access funding. ICSS now ensures that every graduate with a viable business plan can immediately qualify for financing,” Odii explained. He added that the loans are intended to support productive assets such as machinery, tools, and equipment to scale operations and generate employment.
Odii confirmed that while 100 entrepreneurs are benefiting in the pilot phase, the broader target is 6,122 graduates nationwide, with women and youth-led enterprises given priority.
Head of Development Cooperation at the German Embassy, Dr. Karen Jansen, emphasised Germany’s commitment to strengthening Nigeria’s MSME ecosystem. She described the ICSS programme as a sustainable model, integrating training, mentorship, and responsible financing to reduce lender risk while promoting long-term business growth.
Rukayat Yusuf, a beneficiary specialising in natural cosmetics and agro-processing for export, described the initiative as transformative. “This facility will allow women entrepreneurs like me to scale production, reach new markets, and strengthen our competitiveness locally and internationally,” she said.
The launch drew participation from government officials, development partners, financial institutions, and private sector leaders, signalling a concerted push to empower Nigerian youth and SMEs to drive economic growth.
FG Launches Single-Digit Loan Scheme to Empower 6,122 Nigerian Entrepreneurs
News
Fagbemi Seeks Major Reforms to Strengthen Enforcement of ECOWAS Court Judgments
Fagbemi Seeks Major Reforms to Strengthen Enforcement of ECOWAS Court Judgments
…ECOWAS Court Tells Nigeria: Enforcement of Judgments Is a Legal Duty, Not a Political Choice
By: Michael Mike
Nigeria’s Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef O. Fagbemi, has called for sweeping reforms to strengthen the enforcement of judgments delivered by the ECOWAS Court of Justice, warning that weak compliance mechanisms risk undermining regional justice and integration.
Speaking at a Special Forum marking the 50th anniversary of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), Fagbemi said that while the Court has recorded significant milestones since becoming operational in 2001, its authority is being weakened by persistent enforcement challenges and structural gaps.
The Attorney-General acknowledged that the Court has delivered landmark judgments on human rights, governance and media freedom, earning credibility as a regional judicial body. However, he noted that the real test of any court lies not only in its pronouncements but in the willingness and capacity of member states to comply.
Fagbemi identified what he described as an “enforcement deficit” as one of the Court’s most pressing challenges, stressing that the Court lacks direct enforcement powers and depends largely on the goodwill of member states.
He also pointed to sovereignty concerns and political resistance, particularly in cases touching on sensitive constitutional or governance matters. According to him, some rulings have been criticised as stretching jurisdiction beyond the Court’s mandate or imposing obligations that are difficult to enforce domestically.
“These criticisms, whether justified or not, highlight the urgent need for clarity in the Court’s role and stronger institutional support,” he said.
The Attorney-General further observed that the absence of an appellate mechanism has contributed to perceptions of rigidity. Because judgments of the ECOWAS Court are final, he argued, states sometimes feel constrained by decisions they cannot challenge through a second-tier review process.
Drawing comparisons with other international judicial bodies, Fagbemi noted that courts such as the European Court of Human Rights and the Court of Justice of the European Union operate structured supervisory and review mechanisms that enhance acceptance of their rulings.
He said the ECOWAS Court’s lack of layered oversight and follow-up procedures makes its decisions more vulnerable to resistance, especially in politically sensitive cases or where substantial financial awards are involved.
Beyond judicial design, Fagbemi linked the Court’s challenges to what he described as broader institutional weaknesses within ECOWAS itself. Limited political authority, dependence on voluntary compliance by member states, and inconsistent enforcement across sectors such as trade and security, he said, have created a culture where non-compliance often carries minimal consequences.
“The weakness of ECOWAS as an institution directly translates into weakness of its judicial arm,” he stated, warning that if regional decisions are treated as advisory rather than binding, the rule of law at the supranational level will erode.
Despite the concerns, the Attorney-General said the bloc’s golden jubilee presents an opportunity to recalibrate and strengthen the regional justice architecture.
He proposed a series of reforms, including: Establishing a regional supervisory mechanism to monitor compliance with judgments and apply political pressure where necessary; Introducing an appellate or review process to enhance confidence in the Court’s decisions; Creating structured compliance hearings and mandatory follow-up reporting; Adopting clearer enforcement protocols; Exploring cooperation agreements similar to those used by other international courts.
Fagbemi emphasised that integration without justice is fragile, adding that the ECOWAS Court remains central to the region’s aspiration for accountability, cross-border justice and respect for human dignity.
“As we celebrate fifty years of ECOWAS, we must commit to a future where the rule of law is not merely an aspiration but a lived reality across West Africa,” he said.
On his part, the President of the ECOWAS Court of Justice, Hon. Justice Ricardo Gonçalves delivered a direct but diplomatically worded message to Nigeria: compliance with the Court’s judgments is not optional, but a binding legal obligation under Community law.
The President said judicial decisions lies “at the very heart of the credibility of our Community project.”
The address, delivered before Nigeria’s Attorney General, judges of the Court, representatives of the Nigerian Bar and senior government officials, underscored that the Court’s judgments are final, binding and immediately enforceable under the Revised ECOWAS Treaty and related protocols.
“Compliance with the Court’s decisions is not a political option — it is a legal obligation,” the President declared, stressing that the Court is not merely a judicial body but “a pillar of the regional rule of law.”
He noted that since the Court’s establishment, 128 cases have been instituted against the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Of that number, 66 cases have been closed; 10 have been executed; while 52 remain pending execution.
The figures, the President said, were not presented as censure but as an “objective basis for joint and profound reflection.”
He noted that: “If the Federal Republic of Nigeria leads by example, it will strengthen the authority of the Court and send a clear message of commitment to the regional rule of law.”
He acknowledged that non-compliance often stems not from outright refusal but from structural and institutional weaknesses.
Among the factors identified were: Absence of national coordination mechanisms to follow up on Court decisions; Budgetary and administrative constraints, particularly in cases involving financial compensation or structural reforms; Weak integration of Community decisions into domestic legal systems; Coordination gaps between executive, legislative and judicial branches; Political sensitivity of certain human rights and governance cases; Limited use of ECOWAS’ sanctions regime; Lack of a formal enforcement mandate for the Court itself; Delays in providing updates on implementation; Differences in legal systems across Member States.
He said: “These causes should not be viewed as accusations, but as institutional realities requiring structured responses and strengthened cooperation.”
He however warned that failure to enforce judgments, risks eroding the Court’s authority, weakening the Community legal system, diminishing citizens’ confidence in regional justice and harming West Africa’s international image at a time when the region seeks to project stability and institutional predictability.
He said: “Without enforcement, the decisions of the ECOWAS Court become merely declaratory,” the President said. “Declaratory justice without practical effect does not fulfil its transformative function.”
The warning comes amid renewed efforts by ECOWAS institutions to consolidate regional integration at a time of political transitions and governance challenges across parts of West Africa.
The Court also outlined steps already taken to improve compliance, including: Creation of a dedicated Enforcement Division within its Registry; Regular dialogue with designated national authorities; Setting deadlines for compliance within judgments; Follow-up requests to Member States on implementation status; Presentation of enforcement updates to the ECOWAS Council of Ministers and Conference of Heads of State and Government; Advocacy for ratification of all legal instruments relating to the Court.
The President however conceded that these measures “may not be sufficient” and called for deeper cooperation with Nigeria to identify additional solutions.
Fagbemi Seeks Major Reforms to Strengthen Enforcement of ECOWAS Court Judgments
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
