National News
Chinese Envoy Says Harmony, Peaceful Coexistence Key to Development
Chinese Envoy Says Harmony, Peaceful Coexistence Key to Development
By: Michael Mike
Ambassador of the People’s Republic of China to Nigeria, Mr Cui Jianchun has called for harmony and peaceful coexistence in Nigeria, noting that these are keys to development and integration in every society.
Cui made this call on Wednesday in Abuja during a seminar on “Sharing Chinese Harmony and Performing Nigeria-China Symphony”, organized by the Chinese Embassy.
Cui said that as the symphony produces great melody when harmonized, it is also logical that Nigeria, just like China can attain giant development with great harmony across all sectors.
The Ambassador also noted that bringing together the Nigeria-China Symphony will also boost the People-to-People ties between both countries.
He said: “Today is a very important day for China and Nigeria and last year we have talked about building the China-Nigeria’s Five GIST GDP Strategy.
“So, relating to the people’s connectivity, today we are sharing Chinese harmony and Performing Nigeria-China Symphony.
“The logic is that China, we value, cherish the harmony and I think the harmony is International, and China we have the unique practice and warm history.
“So I try to get Chinese idea about harmony, the four elements; harmony in coexistence, harmony in integration, harmony in diversity and harmony in development.
“I found for Nigeria that the People’s level is very important. For me, one year in Nigeria, I think of how we can achieve the goal of people’s communication.
“Because people is the foundation, people is the bedrock of two countries. So I try to get idea from China, the Chinese practice and how can we do things in the two countries.
“This is the reason we have this seminar today and my idea is how the two countries can perform symphony.
“Because with symphony, everyone enjoys the melody, symphony, we use instruments, and I think how we can achieve harmony in symphony.
“And that means we have to work together. So I think today is very important if the two countries work together to have this kind of concept.
Also Read: INEC cautions against multiple registrations for PVCs
“Nigeria-China can build our symphony, that is good for the two countries. We try to have a general design and I think it is good for Nigeria’s development,” Cui said.
Nollywood Actor, Keneth Okonkwo commended the Chinese Embassy for organizing the Seminar, noting that now more than ever, Nigeria needs all the harmony to progress.
Okonkwo said that harmony gives strength, enhances productivity, enhances peace, synergy, amongst other positive impacts on society.
The Nollywood Actor noted that Nigeria needs leaders that would harmonise the society and peddle it to greater heights to becoming one of the World powers.
“China has gone through thick and thin and has been able to move forward, to harmonize their society.
“They have been able to build on their traditional foundation, to build a society that they can now relate with other societies in a relative comparative advantage of strength.
“So Nigeria needs to harmonise its society by being able to combine, allocate and utilize their resources of men, material and money which God has given us in abundance.
“Through planning, organizing and controlling, so that we can achieve our objectives.
“This is what is lacking, that harmony between the different religious groups, between the different ethnic groups, between the different resources of this nation.
“We need those leaders that can emerge to harmonise our society so that we will be on our move to becoming the super power nation like China.
“So that we can relate with other harmonious societies around the world,” Okonkwo said.
Chinese Envoy Says Harmony, Peaceful Coexistence Key to Development
National News
Governor Zulum Felicitates with the Muslim Ummah on the Commencement of 2026 Ramadan
Governor Zulum Felicitates with the Muslim Ummah on the Commencement of 2026 Ramadan
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has extended warm felicitations to the Muslim Ummah in Borno State, Nigeria, and across the world on the commencement of the Ramadan fast, 1447 After Hijrah
Governor Zulum described the Holy month of Ramadan as a period of spiritual rejuvenation, self-discipline, sacrifice, compassion, and devotion to Almighty Allah. He noted that fasting is not only about abstaining from food and drink, but also about purifying the heart, strengthening faith, promoting patience, and extending kindness to the less fortunate and less privileged members of society.
In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media, Dauda Iliya, the governor urged Muslim faithful to use the blessed month to deepen their acts of worship, supplication, and charitable giving, promote unity, and uphold the values of peace, tolerance, and mutual respect that Islam teaches.
“I would like to extend my sincere congratulations to the Muslim Ummah on the commencement of the Ramadan fast, one of the five pillars of Islam. This Ramadan is coming at a time when the state continues to witness sustained peace and a bumper harvest from last year’s cropping season,” Zulum said.
“On Tuesday, I launched the distribution of Ramadan palliatives to 300,000 households across all 27 local government areas of the state, designed to cushion the economic burden on vulnerable residents during the holy month of Ramadan. The gesture will also be extended to members of the Christian community who are also fasting the Lent which falls within the month of Ramadan,”.
Reflecting on Borno’s journey over the past fifteen years, Governor Zulum acknowledged the resilience, patience, and sacrifices as the state recovers from Boko Haram insurgency. He reaffirmed his administration’s unwavering commitment to restoring lasting security, rebuilding destroyed communities, resettling displaced families, and reviving livelihoods across the state.
“Our government remains focused on consolidating the gains achieved in security through close collaboration with the Federal Government and security agencies. We are rebuilding schools, hospitals, roads, and markets, and supporting farmers, traders, and youth to restore economic activities in liberated communities,” he remarked.
He added that significant progress has been made in reconstruction and rehabilitation, but emphasized that collective prayers and unity of purpose remain essential to sustaining peace and stability in Borno State and Nigeria as a whole.
Governor Zulum therefore called on the Muslim Ummah to dedicate this Ramadan to fervent prayers for enduring peace, security, prosperity and national cohesion. He also encouraged citizens to support one another, especially vulnerable families, widows, orphans and those affected by the insurgency.
“As we observe this sacred month, let us renew our commitment to righteousness, peaceful coexistence and service to humanity. With faith, unity and perseverance, we shall continue to rebuild our state stronger and more resilient than ever,” he said.
He called on well-spirited individuals and groups to support the less fortunate members of society in this season of faith renewal and rejuvenation.
Zulum also felicitated with the Christian community on the commencement of Lent, which coincides with the day Muslims start the month-long Ramadan fast.
“This is not a mere coincidence. Rather, it underscores the need for unity, peaceful coexistence, and collective action in building and advancing the state and the nation,” he emphasized.
The governor prayed that Almighty Allah accepts the fast, supplication, and good deeds, and grant Borno State and Nigeria sustainable peace and development.
Governor Zulum Felicitates with the Muslim Ummah on the Commencement of 2026 Ramadan
National News
El-Rufai Puts Ribadu on Trial
El-Rufai Puts Ribadu on Trial
By Frank Tietie
A man who is neither drunk nor high on drugs, but in his clear and sane mind, goes on a prime-time show on a continental television network like the Arise News Channel and proclaims that he got information from someone who tapped the phone line of the National Security Adviser (NSA) of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. How should the Nigerian government react?
It becomes a Catch-22 for the Nigerian government whether to respond to El-Rufai’s latest tirade. But to react hastily would fail to see the damning point Nasir El-Rufai is trying to make, which is to show the ineptitude of Nuhu Ribadu as NSA. The government should have seen through the former Kaduna State governor’s bravado.
Of course, El-Rufai knows the possibility that Ribadu would fall for the trick and might actually order his detention, either for statements made on live international television or for the bared waiting fangs of the EFCC. Sonit appears he had prepared for the worst, but probably not for death in the hands of his sworn enemies through poisoning. Hence, he immediately alerted the world to the Gestapo treatment that is usually given to some government enemies when they are in detention. So he quickly accuses the same Nuhu Ribadu of importing thallium sulphate, a lethal poison suitable for eliminating political enemies quietly. This he has done, in case he, himself or any other opposition politicians die in detention as 2027 approaches. What a way to shift the burden?
The choice of the government to charge El-Rufai for cybercrimes over the claims he made on live on Arise News Prime Time show about tapping the NSA’s phone is a tacit yet loud acknowledgement that any NSA whose phone can be tapped so easily is not only incompetent, but highly undisciplined and lackadaisical on national security matters. Tell me, which serious country, like the United States of America, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Russia, or Saudi Arabia, would take the National Security Adviser of Nigeria seriously if they knew that an ordinary citizen could easily tap his phone?
What Malam Nasir El-Rufai has done is not to present technical evidence of interception. Rather, he has thrown a political gauntlet designed to provoke a reaction. The trap is simple: once the state moves against him, the conversation shifts from the accuracy of his claim to the conduct and capability of those charged with safeguarding national security.
A hurried resort to criminal prosecution risks missing the wider implication that public officers, particularly those occupying sensitive security positions, are expected to inspire confidence, not anxiety.
Therefore, if the state frames a prosecution around a claim that the NSA’s line could be tapped, the unintended consequence is that the allegation receives international circulation, renewed media life and diplomatic attention. In effect, the courtroom becomes a megaphone for the NSA’s failures.
Consequently, if the charge against El-Rufai is driven by reputational discomfort or the political embarrassment that he has caused Ribadu or the Tinubu government. It risks being counterproductive, especially in a democratic setting that has a high tolerance for speech directed at public officials.
Statements that are provocative, speculative or even reckless are often part of political contestation, especially as 2027 approaches. They should not be the basis for criminal charges. Such statements are best answered by clarification, transparency, and institutional reassurance, rather than the coercive weight of arrest, arraignment, and trial.
To prosecute El-Rufai in circumstances such as this may therefore produce the exact opposite of deterrence. It can elevate and transform him into a cause, especially among Northern Nigeria elements, and suggest that the government is more eager to punish criticism than to disprove it.
The other dimension is the possibility that such a trial would invite scrutiny, arguments, cross-examinations, and global reporting, further exposing Ribadu or the government. Meanwhile, silence would have buried it faster.
Instead of dismissing El-Rufai as someone probably chasing political clout, the choice to charge him would validate his point and expose Nuhu Ribadu as unfit to be NSA.
El-Rufai is no ordinary politician. He combines the arts of casuistry, statecraft, populism and activism for political relevance, and he is yet on another journey to reinvent himself politically to the detriment of his foes like Ribadu. But he also wants to come out alive. And even if he dies in the process, he seems not to care much, as long as such would deal the maximum blow to the political careers of his traducers.
If anyone thinks El-Rufai is being diminished by his latest travails, they should think again. In fact, it is he who is putting some persons on trial in the court of reason.
Frank Tietie
Lawyer and Public Affairs Commentator,
Writes from Abuja
El-Rufai Puts Ribadu on Trial
National News
Civil Society Escalates Pressure on Senate Over ‘Conditional’ Electronic Transmission Clause
Civil Society Escalates Pressure on Senate Over ‘Conditional’ Electronic Transmission Clause
By: Michael Mike
Tension over proposed changes to Nigeria’s electoral framework deepened on Monday as the Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room demanded the immediate adoption of unconditional electronic transmission of results in the amendment to the Electoral Act, warning that any dilution of the reform could erode public trust ahead of the 2027 general elections.
At a protest held at the entrance of the National Assembly in Abuja, the coalition accused the Senate of weakening critical safeguards in the Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2025 by introducing what it described as “conditional transmission” of results.
Addressing demonstrators, Co-Convener of the Situation Room and Country Director of ActionAid Nigeria, Andrew Mamedu, said Nigerians were demanding a clear, mandatory provision that compels real-time electronic transmission of results from polling units without exceptions.
“Our future is in our hands because we voted for these representatives. On behalf of Nigerians, we are stating unequivocally that electronic transmission of results must be mandatory and without conditions,” Mamedu declared.
The coalition argued that the Senate’s version departs from earlier understandings reached during consultations between stakeholders and the Joint National Assembly Committee on Electoral Matters. It warned that inserting discretionary clauses could create legal ambiguities capable of being exploited during elections.
Specifically, the group urged the conference committee reconciling the Senate and House versions of the bill to adopt the House of Representatives’ position making real-time electronic transmission from polling units to the INEC Result Viewing Portal compulsory.
According to the protesters, anything short of mandatory transmission risks reopening controversies that trailed previous elections and could undermine voter confidence in the electoral system.
They also called for the retention of the 360-day election notice timeline contained in earlier drafts of the amendment, stressing that predictable timelines are essential for planning, voter education and logistics.
In a letter presented to lawmakers, the coalition stated: “Instead of strengthening Nigeria’s electoral framework, the Senate amendment weakens key safeguards necessary for credibility and public trust.”
On concerns about network coverage and technical feasibility, the group insisted that real-time transmission is achievable. It cited previous off-cycle governorship elections in states such as Imo, Kogi and Bayelsa, where high transmission rates were recorded.
The coalition dismissed claims that connectivity gaps would cripple the system, noting that telecommunications data show that areas without network access constitute only a small fraction of polling units nationwide. It explained that results are first collated at polling units before being uploaded, and where connectivity is unavailable, the system can securely store data and automatically transmit once network access is restored.
Civil society organisations also faulted remarks attributed to the Senate President questioning the practicality of real-time transmission, maintaining that the infrastructure and technology required are already in place.
At the rally, women’s advocacy groups broadened the protest, calling for the expedited passage of the special seats bill for women as part of ongoing constitutional amendments. They argued that electoral integrity must go hand in hand with inclusive representation.
Responding on behalf of the House of Representatives, spokesperson Akin Rotimi assured protesters that their concerns would be conveyed to the leadership of the chamber. He said the Speaker supports the amendment, while the Deputy Speaker is among its sponsors.
Rotimi acknowledged the low representation of women in the legislature as a “serious injustice” and pledged that constitutional amendment proposals, including provisions for reserved seats for women, would be subjected to electronic voting.
Despite the assurances, the Situation Room vowed to sustain advocacy until a final version of the bill guarantees compulsory, real-time electronic transmission of results and restores what it described as the “spirit of reform” demanded by Nigerians.
“This is about protecting the people’s mandate,” the protesters said. “We will not relent until the law reflects the will of the citizens.”
Civil Society Escalates Pressure on Senate Over ‘Conditional’ Electronic Transmission Clause
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
