News
Chinese Government Boosts Peanut Production in Nigeria with Training
Chinese Government Boosts Peanut Production in Nigeria with Training
By: Michael Mike
The Chinese Government is boosting peanut production in the country with training of farmers on techniques for quality production.
This is part of its quest to assist improve food production in Nigeria.
The intervention was done through the Institute of Food Science and Technology, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (IFST-CAAS) in collaboration with the Agricultural Research Council of Nigeria (ARCN) and the China-Africa Green Agriculture Development Research Centre (GACARDC) who collaborated in organising a one-day international training conference on peanut quality evaluation and processing utilization technology at the China-Aid Nigerian Agricultural Development Technology Demonstration Center, Ushafa, Abuja.

Speaking at the event, Wang Jun, Director of China-Africa Green Agriculture Development Centre and the Managing Director of Green Agriculture West Africa Limited (GAWAL), in his remarks, said the training provides an opportunity to explore new technologies in peanut cultivation and processing techniques for the benefit of farmers.
He said despite facing a series of challenges, such as the need to address aflatoxin issues and the significant fluctuations in peanut cultivation and yield, the future of the Nigerian peanut industry is promising.
He said: “Through measures such as technological innovation, sustainable development, enhanced processing, and market promotion, Nigeria will further solidify its position in the global peanuts market, bringing sustainable development and benefits to farmers and the national economy.
“This technical training programme serves as a bridge between theory and practice, bringing together experts, practitioners, and enthusiasts alike to enhance knowledge, share experiences, and push the boundaries of what we know about peanut processing. During this session, we will embark on a journey of discovery, exploring the nuances of peanut raw material evaluation, from cultivation practices, post-harvest handling, and processing methodologies to quality control measures,” Wang Jun added.
Earlier in his remark, Professor Wang Qiang, Chief Scientist of the Institute of Food Science and Technology, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences said the technical training session is in line with the institution’s mandate to provide regular science and technology assistance projects to developing countries.
He said the institute is in Africa to promote the construction of the first China-Africa Cooperative Research Center for Quality Evaluation, Processing and Utilization of Peanuts in Nigeria. He stated that the aim is to jointly promote the healthy development of the African peanut industry, and provide support for ensuring the quantity and quality safety of African peanuts.
On his part, Professor Garba Hamidu Sharubutu, Executive Secretary of the Agricultural Research Council of Nigeria (ARCN), ably represented Professor Bello Zaki Abubakar, thanked the Chinese government for the training and urged participants to apply the knowledge acquired for the development of the peanut industry.
Participants at the conference received training on processing characteristics and quality evaluation of peanut raw materials, comprehensive utilization of peanuts, and the practical demonstration of peanut quality portable tachymeter and peanut oil press equipment.
Chinese Government Boosts Peanut Production in Nigeria with Training
News
Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue
Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Joint Task Force (JTF) Operation WHIRL STROKE have arrested suspects linked to cattle rustling in Benue State, following two separate security incidents in Guma Local Government Area.

Security sources said that on Feb. 15, troops responded to an attack on herders at Amua Village, located between Daudu and Umenger/Ukpiam. The attack left one herder dead, while another sustained gunshot wounds and was evacuated to Keana in neighbouring Nasarawa State for urgent medical attention. The remains of the deceased were handed over to community representatives for burial according to local customs.

In a related operation on the same day, troops stationed at Ukpiam acted on intelligence provided by vigilant youths concerning suspected cattle rustling. The troops arrested a 23-year-old suspect, Terngu Aondohemba, who reportedly confessed to killing two cattle belonging to Fulani herders. He also implicated two accomplices, Akpehe and Ashinge, who are still at large.
Further investigation led security operatives to Korje Village in Daudu, where Mrs. Mercy Onban, wife of the alleged buyer of the stolen meat, was apprehended along with the recovered meat exhibits. Both suspects remain in custody pending further investigation.

The Force Commander of the Joint Task Force, Major General Moses Gara, condemned the attacks and criminality, affirming the commitment of Operation WHIRL STROKE to halting killings and cattle rustling in the Joint Operations Area.
He urged community leaders to strengthen collaboration with security agencies, stressing that timely intelligence sharing is critical to restoring lasting peace. Major General Gara also reassured law-abiding residents of the strong resolve of the Joint Task Force to protect lives and property across the region.
Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue
News
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
By: Zagazola Makama
The Federal Government has charged former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, before the Federal High Court, Abuja, over alleged unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
Court documents showed that El-Rufai, 65, appeared as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme on Feb. 13, 2026, where he reportedly admitted to involvement in the interception and to knowing individuals who carried out the act without reporting them to security agencies.

The charges, filed under TABU DET CR/99/2026, include: Count One, Allegedly admitting during the television interview that he and his associates unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, contrary to Section 12 (1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
Count Two, Allegedly stating that he knew individuals who unlawfully intercepted the same communications but failed to report them, in violation of Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024. Count Three, Allegedly using technical systems to compromise public safety and national security, and instilling apprehension among Nigerians, in breach of Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
The case, filed by a team of Federal Government lawyers led by ME Ernest, OM Owan, UM Bulla, CS Eze, and VE G. Orubor, is set to proceed with investigations and trial proceedings.

Authorities said the matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Abuja Judicial Division of the Federal High Court, where the accused will be required to respond to the charges.
The trial is expected to attract significant public attention given the high-profile nature of the accused and the sensitive security issues involved.
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
News
Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna
Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
A disagreement between youths over access to a graveyard escalated into violence on Monday in parts of Kaduna South area of Kaduna State, leaving several persons injured and two houses burnt.
Security sources said a distress call received at about 9:00 a.m. indicated that youths from Makera Village had gone to Ungwan Mission to clear bushes around an abandoned Muslim graveyard in an effort to reopen it.
During the exercise, a youth from Ungwan Mission was reportedly prevented from passing through the site, a development that led him to mobilise others from his community to confront those clearing the graveyard.
The confrontation degenerated into a free-for-all fight, during which some participants sustained injuries and were rushed to hospitals for treatment. Two houses were also set ablaze in Ungwan Mission, though no loss of life was recorded.
Authorities said an emergency stakeholders’ meeting was convened by the Kaduna State Government and led by the Speaker of the State House of Assembly.
The meeting was attended by the Commissioner for Internal Security, representatives of the police, military and Department of State Services (DSS), chairmen of Kaduna South and Chikun Local Government Areas, as well as leaders of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), youth leaders and other stakeholders.
Security agencies said efforts were ongoing to identify and arrest those involved in the violence, while measures had been put in place to prevent further breakdown of law and order in the area.
Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
