Connect with us

Crime

Court Jails Notorious Kidnap Kingpin, Wadume

Published

on

Court Jails Notorious Kidnap Kingpin, Wadume

Court Jails Notorious Kidnap Kingpin, Wadume

A Federal High Court in Abuja has convicted and sentenced notorious kidnap kingpin, Hamisu Bala, popularly known as Wadume, to seven years imprisonment without option of fine on Monday.

Wadume was convicted of escaping from lawful custody and unlawfully dealing in prohibited firearms.

Wadume, a suspected Nigerian kidnap-for-ransom kingpin, based in Taraba State but operated across Northeast, was arrested in August 2019 by the Nigerian Inspector General of Police Intelligence Response Team (IRT).

Justice Binta Nyako convicted Wadume on counts two and 10 of the 13-count charge brought against him and six others by the office of the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) on behalf of the Federal Government.

Other defendants in the charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/30/2020 are: Aliyu Dadje (a police inspector), Auwalu Bala (aka omo razor), Uba Bala (aka Uba Delu), Bashir Wazlri (aka baba runs), Zubairu Abdullahi (aka Basho) and Rayyanu Abdul.

Justice Nyako, in the judgment delivered on July 22 this year, upheld the case of the prosecution team, which included Labaran Magaji and Mrs. Yetunde Cole, as it relates to five out of the seven defendants.

Justice Nyako also convicted and sentenced Inspector Dadje to three years on count seven, in which he was accused of tampering with police record to conceal a crime.

Dadje, who was a Station Officer at the Ibi Divisional Police Headquarters, Ibi Local Government Area, Taraba State was said to have, in August 2019, “willfully tampered with the entry made by the leader of the IGP IRT team, Inspector Felix Adolije, by tearing off the entry page to cover up for Captain Tijani Ahmed Balarabe and his team” upon knowing that an offence of terrorism had been committed by Capt. Balarabe and his team, who attacked and killed three members of the IGP IRT team and two civilians who were in Ibi, Taraba State to make lawful arrest.

Justice Nyako equally convicted and sentenced Uba Bala (aka Uba Delu) and Zubairu Abdullahi (aka Basho) to seven years each on counts three, four, five, six and 11.

The duo, in the four counts, were charged with illegal possession and unlawful dealing in prohibited firearms and ammunition.

Justice Nyako also convicted and sentenced Abdul to three years for harbouring Wadume in his house in Kano after Wadume’s escape from police custody in Ibi.

The judge struck out count one, in which Wadume was charged with kidnaping Usman Garba (aka Mayo) and collecting N106million before releasing him.

She however discharged and acquitted Auwalu Bala (aka Omo Razor) and Bashir Wazlri (aka Baba Runs), who were listed as the 3rd and 5th defendants, for want of evidence.

Court Jails Notorious Kidnap Kingpin, Wadume

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Troops Foil Protest Over Election Result Dispute in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Protest Over Election Result Dispute in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops under Sector 7 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a protest by youths in Madakiya community of Jema’a Local Government Area of Kaduna State over alleged delays in the announcement of election results.

Security sources said the incident occurred at about 2:10 p.m. on May 20 following reports that youths had gathered to protest the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) handling of the All Progressives Congress senatorial primary election results.

Troops, alongside other security agencies, were promptly deployed to the area to prevent escalation and restore order.

On arrival, the situation was brought under control as security personnel engaged the agitated youths and appealed for calm.

The protesters were subsequently addressed and dispersed peacefully without any violence or destruction of property.

Security sources said troops maintained a visible presence in the area afterwards to deter further unrest and ensure continued peace in the community.

Troops Foil Protest Over Election Result Dispute in Kaduna

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Rescue Suspect from Mob Action Over Alleged Attempted Rape in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Rescue Suspect from Mob Action Over Alleged Attempted Rape in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened to rescue a suspect from mob attack following an alleged attempted sexual assault in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources said the incident occurred at about 3:00 p.m. on May 20 after reports that a student of Government Secondary School (GSS) Bassa was allegedly accosted by one Abdulazeez Sani, 25, at a hotel in Agyingi area of Bassa LGA.

The suspect was reportedly overpowered by angry youths who attempted to lynch him before the arrival of troops.

Security sources said troops swiftly intervened, rescued the suspect from mob action, and restored calm in the area.

The suspect was subsequently handed over to Keystone Division in Bassa for further investigation and necessary action.

Authorities said the intervention helped prevent escalation of violence and maintained order within the community.

Troops Rescue Suspect from Mob Action Over Alleged Attempted Rape in Plateau

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Disrupt Illegal Mining Activity, Fire Warning Shots in Ebonyi

Published

on

Troops Disrupt Illegal Mining Activity, Fire Warning Shots in Ebonyi

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Operation UDO KA have disrupted illegal mining activities during a night patrol in Ivo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, leading to the arrest of four suspects.

Security sources said the incident occurred at about 7:30 p.m. on May 19 when troops deployed at Forward Operating Base Ivo intercepted individuals engaged in unauthorized mining activities within the general area.

The troops reportedly apprehended four suspects and recovered a mini truck, sapper cables, and a vehicle battery believed to have been used for the illegal operations.

However, tension reportedly rose while the suspects and recovered items were being conveyed to the base, as some youths from Iheteu community allegedly obstructed the troops and attempted to resist the operation by throwing stones in support of the suspects.

In response, the troops fired two warning shots into the air to disperse the crowd and restore order.

Security sources said calm was later restored and the situation brought under control without further escalation.

The suspects remain in custody for profiling and further investigation, while the recovered items have been secured for additional action.

Authorities said operations against illegal mining and other criminal activities would continue across affected communities in Ebonyi State.

Troops Disrupt Illegal Mining Activity, Fire Warning Shots in Ebonyi

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights