Connect with us

News

Despite Massive Fund on Security, Borno Remains Committed to Welfare of Citizens- Pensioners

Published

on

Despite Massive Fund on Security, Borno Remains Committed to Welfare of Citizens- Pensioners

By: Michael Mike

The National Union of Pensioners (NUP), Borno State chapter has said despite the massive fund expended on security in the state, the governor, Professor Babagana Zulum has remained focused and committed to the welfare of citizens, particularly in the prompt payment of pensions, salaries, and gratuities.

The commendation was given by the Chairman of the NUP in the state, Comrade Musa Alhaji Bukar, during a meeting in Maiduguri with executives from 30 branches, including those from the 27 local government areas.

Comrade Bukar noted that the governor’s directive to increase the monthly fund for outstanding gratuities for state retirees from one hundred million (N100 million) to two hundred million (N200 million) has significantly improved the lives and families of many, contributing to economic development.

The NUP Chairman also mentioned that Governor Zulum had paid 50% pension arrears to 1,115 state retirees for the years 2021 to 2022 last year, in addition to clearing pension outstanding arrears of 534 retirees across the 27 local government areas.

He highlighted that the payment of 25% gratuity to 500 Primary School Teachers, the settlement of gratuities for Local Government Retirees, the continuous payment of monthly pensions without delay, the resolution of 25% payments to late cases in the state, and the clearance of 399 outstanding pension arrears to the primary school board represent significant progress. He applauded the swift approval and release of billions of naira and encouraged the government to continue its support by reviewing pensions to help retirees cope with the rising cost of goods and services in the state.

“Let me use this opportunity to thank you all for honoring this invitation. It is an occasion for us to meet and discuss our achievements and the way forward,” said Comrade Bukar. “On behalf of the NUP in Borno, I commend Governor Babagana Zulum for his dedication to improving the retirees’ plight through prompt payment of pensions and gratuities.”

He added that: “We greatly appreciate Governor Zulum for the increased payments of outstanding gratuities to our state retirees, which has transformed many lives and families towards economic development.”

Bukar urged the government to not rest on its laurels but to come to the aid of pensioners by adjusting pensions to help those with minimal funds withstand the inflation of goods and services in the state.

Meanwhile, among the communiqués issued at the end of the NUP meeting was a strong call on other state governors to emulate Zulum in addressing the plight of the citizenry, particularly retired and serving civil servants, and to foster unity among its members.

Despite Massive Fund on Security, Borno Remains Committed to Welfare of Citizens- Pensioners

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Zulum Visits Uba, Chibok Communities, Vows Rescue of Abducted Schoolchildren

Published

on

Zulum Visits Uba, Chibok Communities, Vows Rescue of Abducted Schoolchildren

By: Our Reporter

Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, on Tuesday visited Uba town to sympathise with parents of schoolchildren recently abducted in Mussa community, assuring residents that all efforts were being intensified to secure the safe release of the victims.

Governor Zulum, who has consistently visited communities affected by insecurity to console victims and assess the situation firsthand, met with parents of the abducted children at the palace of the Emir of Uba.

Addressing the gathering, the governor conveyed his heartfelt sympathy to the Emir, the parents of the abducted children and the entire people of the Uba Emirate over the unfortunate incident.

“I want to convey my deepest sympathy to the Emir of Uba, parents of the abducted children and the entire people of Uba Emirate over the recent unfortunate incident,” Zulum stated.

“Let me assure you that the Federal Government under the distinguished leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian Armed Forces and Borno State Government will do everything possible to secure the release of the children,” he assured.

The governor commended the military and other security agencies for taking proactive measures to prevent further deterioration of the security situation in the area.

He disclosed that the Brigade Commander, Commanding Officer, Divisional Police Officer and other heads of security establishments had already been deployed to strengthen security and facilitate the safe return of the abducted children.

Governor Zulum also pledged to fortify security in Askira, Uba and adjoining communities to prevent a recurrence of similar incidents.

“We have made frantic efforts to stabilize Askira, Uba and adjoining communities through reinforcing security in these areas,” he said.

The governor appealed to the abductors to release the innocent children, noting that they were minors who required the care and protection of their parents.

He further called on residents of the Uba Emirate and the entire people of Borno State to intensify prayers, especially during the first 10 days of the holy month of Dhul Hijjah.

Speaking during the visit, the Emir of Uba, Alhaji Ali Ibn Isma’ila Mamza II revealed that the incident occurred on Friday, 15 May, when 48 persons were abducted in Mussa community, including 37 primary school pupils, six secondary school students and five other residents.

The monarch commended Governor Zulum for his unwavering commitment to addressing insecurity, uniting the people of the state and supporting the emirate.

Also speaking, a representative of the Mussa community, Dr. Chinapi Amanja, appreciated the governor for the visit and acknowledged the deployment of senior military officers and other security personnel to the area.

…Zulum Condoles Chibok Communities

In a related development, Governor Zulum also visited Chibok town to commiserate with communities affected by recent attacks in parts of Chibok Local Government Area.

Addressing district heads, village heads, council members and other stakeholders, the governor said he was deeply saddened by the attacks, which claimed several lives and left many others injured.

“I purposely came to Chibok to sympathize with you over the recent attacks in some parts of the local government which claimed many lives and left others injured,” Zulum said.

“I want to assure you that the Federal Government, Nigerian Armed Forces and the Borno State Government will do everything possible to avert the recurrence of such incidents,” he added.

The governor urged residents to remain calm and law-abiding, assuring them that government was making concerted efforts to restore normalcy in the area through the deployment of additional troops.

He also prayed for the repose of the souls of those who lost their lives and asked God to grant their families the fortitude to bear the loss.

Speaking on behalf of the affected communities, the District Head of Garu, Engr. Zannah Madu, appreciated the governor for the visit and for the continued government intervention in addressing security challenges in the area.

Governor Zulum was accompanied on the visits by the member representing Chibok/Damboa/Gwoza Federal Constituency, Hon. Ahmed Jaha; Acting Chief of Staff to the Governor, Dr. Babagana Mustapha Malumbe; Commissioner for Information and Internal Security, Professor Usman Tar; Permanent Secretary, Government House and Security, Barrister Mustapha Busuguma; Special Adviser on Monitoring, Engr. Baba Bukar Gujbawu; and Special Adviser on Media, Dauda Iliya.

Zulum Visits Uba, Chibok Communities, Vows Rescue of Abducted Schoolchildren

Continue Reading

News

Rainy season: NEMA strengthens disaster preparedness, community resilience in Gombe

Published

on

Rainy season: NEMA strengthens disaster preparedness, community resilience in Gombe

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Monday engaged relevant stakeholders in Gombe State on the National Preparedness and Response Campaign (NPRC) 2026.

This is part of ongoing nationwide efforts aimed at strengthening disaster preparedness and community resilience across the state and country.

In her keynote address, the Director General NEMA, Mrs. Zubaida Abubakar Umar represented by the North-East Zonal Director of NEMA, Mr Suleiman Yakubu stated that the campaign was designed to drive early and coordinated action to protect lives and livelihoods during this year’s rainy season.

Also speaking at the engagement, the Head of NEMA Gombe Operations Office, Hajia Ummuna Ahmed, commended the community members and stakeholders for their cooperation and commitment toward disaster preparedness.

Ahmed stressed the importance of early warning information, community participation, and proactive measures in reducing the impact of disasters on lives and livelihoods.

In his presentation on Disaster Risk Reduction Measures, Dr Terungwa Igue specified the various sectorial roles in reducing risks associated with floods.

Igue assured stakeholders of NEMA’s continued commitment to strengthening preparedness initiatives, enhancing public awareness, and promoting safer and more resilient communities across Gombe State.

The engagement further demonstrated the shared commitment of all stakeholders toward fostering safer, better informed, and disaster resilient communities throughout the state.

The team carried out extensive community sensitisation and engagement activities in Wuro Juli Community in Akko LGA of Gombe State.

The sensitisation continued on Tuesday at Yamaltu Emirate in Yamaltu Deba LGA where the Emir of Yamaltu, Alhaji Abubakar Aliyu appreciated NEMA for always coming to sensitise them and charged all the 14 Hakimis who represented 14 villages to take the messages to their domain.

The community engagement exercise focused on enhancing disaster preparedness, promoting early warning awareness, and building community resilience against potential hazards and emergencies, particularly flood related.

The exercise was conducted in collaboration with the Gombe State Emergency Management Agency (GOSEMA), Local Emergency Management Committees (LEMCs), and community leaders, whose active participation and support contributed immensely to the success of the campaign.

The collaboration further reinforced the collective commitment toward disaster risk reduction and effective emergency response at the grassroots level.

Rainy season: NEMA strengthens disaster preparedness, community resilience in Gombe

Continue Reading

News

NESREA Shuts Kano Rice Plant Over Environmental Violations

Published

on

NESREA Shuts Kano Rice Plant Over Environmental Violations

By: Michael Mike

The National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA) has sealed off a rice processing facility in Kano State, Fortune Rice Mills Limited, over alleged violations of environmental regulations relating to air pollution and offensive emissions.

The enforcement action, carried out on Monday, was led by the agency’s North-West Zonal Director, Dr. Mudashiru Raheem, following investigations into public complaints against the company.

According to NESREA, residents had raised concerns over persistent dust emissions and offensive odour emanating from the facility despite earlier compliance notices issued to the company.

The agency said investigations established that the rice mill violated provisions of the National Environmental (Air Quality Control) Regulations 2014 as well as the National Environmental (Food, Beverages and Tobacco Sector) Regulations 2023, prompting the sealing of the plant.

Director-General of National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency, Innocent Barikor, who authorised the shutdown, condemned what he described as the “reckless attitude” of some industrial facilities towards public health and environmental safety.

Barikor stressed that economic interests must not come at the expense of citizens’ wellbeing and environmental sustainability, warning that the agency would continue to enforce compliance with environmental laws across the country.

“The health of citizens and the environment must not be sacrificed on the altar of economic gain,” he said.

He also called on Nigerians to take greater responsibility for environmental protection by reporting environmental infractions and pollution incidents to the agency for prompt action.

The latest enforcement underscores renewed regulatory scrutiny on industrial operators amid growing concerns over environmental pollution and public health risks in several parts of the country.

NESREA Shuts Kano Rice Plant Over Environmental Violations

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights