Connect with us

News

ECOWAS Court Honours Diligent Staff

Published

on

ECOWAS Court Honours Diligent Staff

By: Michael Mike

The ECOWAS Court of Justice last Saturday held its New Year Get-Together and Award Ceremony in Nigeria’s capital city, Abuja.

The twofold event enabled team bonding in a relaxed atmosphere, and celebration of outstanding members of staff.

According to Justice Edward Amoako Asante, President of the Court, the award system recognises and rewards the exemplary contributions of staff during the previous year and will inspire other staff to higher productivity while also stimulating a positive work environment.

Awards were presented to outstanding staff in five categories. There were prizes for Best Staff in different departments and Judges Special Award to Overall Best Staff.

On the criteria for selection in the best staff categories, the Director of Administration and Finance, Dr. William Towah, disclosed include work performance, professionalism and work ethics, interpersonal communication skills, self-development and proactiveness.

Mr Abiodun Omidiran and Mr Uche Daniel Nwoko won Best Staff Awards for Administration and Finance, and Registry Departments respectively, while Overall Best Staff went to Mr Aminu Abdullahi from the Research and Documentation Department.

An award for excellence in leadership and teamwork was presented to Mr Apraku Nketiah, Head of Legal Services, winner in the managerial positions’ category which was open to directors and heads of divisions.

In addition, the Court inaugurated the “Olivier Ahogny Award” for most popular staff in honour of a late diligent staff known for his conviviality among staff and the judges. The winner in this category was Mr Yusuf Usman in the Administration and Finance Department.

Earlier, in a new year message, Justice Asante thanked members of staff for their contribution to the success attained in 2023, which was marked by a remarkable increase in the number of judgments delivered from 41 recorded in 2021 and 2022 consecutively, to 59 in 2023.

Present at the event were Justices Gbèri-Be Ouattara (Vice President), Dupe Atoki, Sengu M. Mohammed and Ricardo Claúdio Monteiro Gonçalves.

Also present were the Chief Registrar, Directors, heads of divisions and units, and members of staff.

Some invited guests from the ECOWAS Community also attended the event.

ECOWAS Court Honours Diligent Staff

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

News

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

Published

on

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

By: Zagazola Makama

A delegation from the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) has visited the Headquarters Joint Task Force North East Operation Hadin Kai in Maiduguri to strengthen ongoing counterterrorism cooperation in the Lake Chad region.

Security sources said the delegation, led by the Deputy Director of Operations/Cyber, Rear Admiral Cameron Chen, arrived at Maimalari Cantonment on May 20, where they were received by the Deputy Theatre Commander, Air Vice Marshal O.F. Akinboyewa.

The visit featured a detailed briefing on the current threat assessment in the North-East and ongoing counterterrorism and counter-insurgency operations across the theatre of operations.

Discussions during the engagement focused on enhancing intelligence sharing, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) support, logistics interdiction, and improved operational coordination within the Lake Chad basin.

The delegation also reviewed ongoing multinational efforts aimed at degrading terrorist capabilities and disrupting logistics networks across the region.

Security sources said both sides reaffirmed their commitment to continued collaboration under counterterrorism and counter-insurgency frameworks, including preparations for Operation Lake Sanity III.

The visit was described as successful and conducted without incident.

Authorities noted that international cooperation remains a key component in sustaining pressure on terrorist groups operating in the North-East.

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights