Connect with us

News

ECOWAS COURT PRESIDENT PLEDGES TO IMPLEMENT ROADMAP FOR IMPROVED EFFICIENCY IN THE OPERATIONS OF THE COURT

Published

on

ECOWAS COURT PRESIDENT PLEDGES TO IMPLEMENT ROADMAP FOR IMPROVED EFFICIENCY IN THE OPERATIONS OF THE COURT

By: Michael Mike

Honourable President Ricardo Cláudio Monteiro Gonçalves has expressed his commitment to the implementation of the resolutions from the three-day Judicial Retreat of the ECOWAS Court of Justice that concluded on 27 November 2024 at Niger State, Nigeria.

President Gonçalves made the statement in his remarks during the closing ceremony of the Judicial Retreat. “Over the last three days, we discussed important issues and proposed recommendations which have been adopted for implementation,” he said.

He added that measures will be put in place to monitor the progress of the implementation process to ensure resolved issues are not brought for reconsideration at next year’s retreat.

He also said that status of implementation of the recommendations from past retreats would be evaluated and actions taken where necessary, to ensure smooth implementation for enhanced performance of the Court.

Participants including the judges, directors and staff examined and proposed recommendations on various sub-themes of the retreat including implementation of writ of execution in member states; standardising the rulings and orders made in open court; discrepancies between the common law and civil law practices on the format of interlocutory applications and motions.

They also discussed modalities and best practices for the translation of decisions of the court, and guidelines on collaboration between research and judges’ chambers.

In his vote of thanks, Honourable Vice-President of the Court, Justice Sengu Mohamed Koroma commended the participants for their remarkable professionalism and teamwork. “The success of this retreat is a reflection of both teamwork and respect for the legal profession manifested in the respect for views of others. We have just started a journey towards setting standards for the Court that will make it operate optimally as a judicial institution,” he said.

The 2024 Judicial Retreat was held under the theme: “Judicial Case Management: Relation Between the Office of the Honourable President, Honourable Judges, Registry Department, and Legal Research & Documentation Department,” The judicial retreat is an important activity of the Court aimed at improving the Court’s efficiency and effectiveness as the principal legal organ of the ECOWAS Community.

ECOWAS COURT PRESIDENT PLEDGES TO IMPLEMENT ROADMAP FOR IMPROVED EFFICIENCY IN THE OPERATIONS OF THE COURT

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.

The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.

Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.

Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights