Education
“Enough is enough,” Buhari tells striking varsity teachers

“Enough is enough,” Buhari tells striking varsity teachers
President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday called on ASUU members to reconsider their position on the ongoing strike, saying “enough is enough.’’
The union began the strike on Feb. 14.
The president expressed worry that the strike would have generational consequences on families, the educational system and the future development of the country.
Malam Garba Shehu, his media aide, stated that Buhari made the call when he received some governors, legislators and political leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) at his residence in Daura, Katsina State.
The visitors were in Daura to pay Sallah homage to the president.
Buhari noted that the strike had already taken a toll on the psychology of parents, students and other stakeholders, throwing up many moral issues begging for attention.
He noted also that Nigeria’s future rested on the quality of education.
He assured also that the government understood the union’s position, but that negotiation should continue with students in lecture halls.
“We hope that ASUU will sympathise with the people on the prolonged strike. Truly, enough is enough for keeping students at home. Don’t hurt the next generation for goodness sake,’’ he said.
The president called on all well-meaning Nigerians, particularly those close to ASUU leaders and members to persuade the lecturers to reconsider their position and its effect on an entire generation and the nation.
According to Buhari, Nigerian students will be faced with the challenge of competing with others in technology-driven workspaces.
Keeping them at home, he argued, only deprived them of time, skill and opportunities to be relevant on the global stage.
“Colonial type education was geared towards producing workers in government. Those jobs are no longer there.
“Our young people should get an education to prepare them for self-employment. Now education is for the sake of education.
“Through technology, we are much more efficient. We should encourage our children to get an education not only to look for government jobs,’’ he stressed.
Buhari said resources should be channelled more into building infrastructure and operations of the health and educational sectors, not to expand the bureaucracy to create job opportunities.
“By this time next year, I would have made the most out of the two terms, and in the remaining months I will do my best,’’ the President assured.
He urged those in political positions and places of privilege to be mindful in helping the many Nigerians that were looking for opportunities.
“If you are greedy, you won’t look around to see what is happening with those who are less-endowed,’’ Buhari noted.
The president told his guests that he had not been to his house in Daura for close to a year because of the demands of the office.
“The observation that I abandoned my base was made by the Emir of Daura, Dr Faruk Umar Faruk, at the Eid prayer ground.
“He held the microphone and told everyone that the last time I was in Daura was during the Eid-el-Kabir of 2021,’’ he mused.
President Buhari said he would retire to Daura and not Kaduna, where he has a better house.
“In 10 to 11 months; time, I will come here (Daura). I have a better house in Kaduna, but it is too close to Abuja,’’ he said.
The president explained that his work schedule was so heavy that he sympathised with the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyema, who had to be away from his family most of the time.
He urged the APC stalwarts to keep working for the good of the people and that of the country.
“ We are lucky people. We need to reflect more on where we are coming from,’’ h said.
The president said relative to the resources available, and compared to the preceding administration, the government had done well in many areas, particularly in infrastructure.
“I wish the person who is coming after me the very best,” he said.
On security, the president said the Northwest had posed more challenges, while some success had been recorded in other regions; the Northeast and South-South.
Buhari also admonished agitators in the South-South to stop vandalising national assets, an action which, he said, also affected their livelihoods.
“I am eager to go. I can tell you it has been tough. I am grateful to God that people appreciate the personal sacrifices we have been making,’’ he said.
In his remarks, the Chairman of the Progressive Governors’ Forum, Kebbi’s Gov. Abubakar Bagudu, thanked the president for his leadership role in improving the nation’s economy and the many successes recorded by the APC.
According to him, such successes include two conventions to produce the party leadership and the presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
“We will work hard to ensure the success of our party. We have reasons to work very hard,’’ he stressed.
He noted that favourable weather conditions supported the vision of ensuring food production and making agriculture a priority with clear results in rice pyramids in various states.
“In spite of attacks by renegades, our country remains self-sufficient in food production. We have seen investments that were not there before you (Buhari) came into power.
“Not less than 20 states now have agriculture processing zones. We have rice pyramids in Ekiti, Gombe and Niger state, while maize pyramids were revived in Katsina and Kano states,’’ he said.
He added that more than 54 rice meals were inaugurated in various states, and 57 fertiliser plants were revived or built afresh.
“All these were achieved because of your commitment and patriotism,’’ the governor told Buhari.
Bagudu also appreciated the president for providing ease of access to governors and political leaders, noting that the opening of the National Economic Council for a more fluid exchange of ideas greatly helped in improving the economy.
APC governors at the lunch were Aminu Masari of Katsina State; Malam Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State, Hope Uzodinma of Imo, Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa and Abubakar Bello of Niger.
Others were Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State, Gov. Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti, Simon Lalong of Plateau and Abubakar Bagudu of Kebbi.
“Enough is enough,” Buhari tells striking varsity teachers
Education
UNIMAID Student Drowns in Gwange River, Another Rescued

UNIMAID Student Drowns in Gwange River, Another Rescued
By: Zagazola Makama
A tragic drowning incident has claimed the life of a University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) student, while another was rescued after they went swimming at the Gwange River Bank in Maiduguri.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the incident occurred on March 14, 2025, around 7:00 p.m., when two UNIMAID students, identified as Abafras Abdiel from the Department of Forestry and Silas Sule from the Department of Geology, went to the Gwange River Bank behind ECWA Church for a swim.
While diving, both students drowned in the river, prompting an emergency response. A combined rescue team, including the police, divers, and fire service personnel, was immediately mobilized to the scene.
The rescue team managed to retrieve both victims and rushed them to the State Specialist Hospital, Maiduguri. While Abafras Abdiel was admitted for treatment, Silas Sule was unfortunately certified dead by doctors. His body has since been deposited at the hospital for autopsy and further investigations.
The authorities have urged students and residents to exercise caution when engaging in activities near water bodies, especially during the dry season, when river currents can be unpredictable.
UNIMAID Student Drowns in Gwange River, Another Rescued
Education
Federal University Gusau: A 300-level student died in a bandit’s den in Zamfara

Federal University Gusau: A 300-level student died in a bandit’s den in Zamfara
By: Our Reporter
This is truly heartbreaking. Zarah Abubakar Shehu, a 21-year-old 300-level student at Federal University Gusau, was abducted along with her two siblings by bandits in the early hours of Sunday, November 3, 2024, from their home in the Damba area of Gusau, Zamfara State.
The kidnappers initially demanded a ransom of ₦35 million for their release. After much struggle, the family managed to gather ₦10 million, which the kidnappers agreed to accept. However, even after receiving the money, they still refused to release Zarah. Instead, they demanded four motorcycles (Boza) and four cartons of engine oil.
Zarah and her siblings spent four months in captivity. When all the items were finally gathered, the kidnappers’ leader was informed. He then called his men to check on the captives. To everyone’s horror, his men responded that only two children remained; one of them, Zarah, had passed away and had already been buried two days earlier.
Zarah was the only daughter of her mother, making her loss even more devastating. Her passing is not just a tragedy for her family but a heartbreaking reflection of the ongoing insecurity in Zamfara State and the pain that countless families endure.
Federal University Gusau: A 300-level student died in a bandit’s den in Zamfara
Crime
Gunmen Kidnap Four Students in Katsina State

Gunmen Kidnap Four Students in Katsina State
By: Zagazola Makama
Suspected armed bandits have abducted four students from Paris Quarters, behind the Federal University, Dutsinma, in Katsina State, security sources told Zagazola Makama on Sunday.
The attack occurred at about 2:20 a.m. on Sunday, when the assailants, reportedly in large numbers, quietly invaded the area and whisked away four individuals.
The victims have been identified as Wali Kayode (25), Fahad Muhammad (20), Emmanuel (surname unknown), and another yet-to-be-identified person.
Security operatives were mobilized to the scene immediately after receiving a distress call but the bandits had fled.
Security sources said that Efforts are ongoing to track down the kidnappers and rescue the victims safely.
Gunmen Kidnap Four Students in Katsina State
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics8 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident