Connect with us

News

EU Warns of Rising Foreign Information Manipulation

Published

on

EU Warns of Rising Foreign Information Manipulation

By: Michael Mike

The European Union has warned that the surge in foreign information manipulation and disinformation poses a growing threat to Nigeria’s democracy, media integrity, and public trust.

The warning was issued on Monday in Abuja during a one-day capacity-building workshop on Foreign Information Manipulation and Interference (FIMI) organised for members of the Diplomatic Correspondents Association of Nigeria (DICAN).

Delivering the opening remarks, the EU Ambassador to Nigeria and ECOWAS, Gautier Mignot said false or misleading information—whether generated for political influence, commercial benefit, or malicious deception—has become one of the most destabilising forces shaping public discourse globally.

He added that the consequences are particularly severe when disinformation is deliberately designed to deceive and then disseminated to unsuspecting citizens.

He noted that the media remains a pillar of democratic society, and any erosion of its credibility directly threatens governance and social stability. “When people lose faith in such a critical institution, democracy is at risk, and society itself becomes gravely endangered,” he warned.

Mignot stressed that journalists sit at a high-risk intersection within the information chain because they decide what reaches the public. For this reason, he said, they often become primary targets of manipulation campaigns. Once the media is misled, he explained, the entire society becomes vulnerable to deception.

He highlighted the dual role that both journalists and diplomats share in preserving credibility. “If we want to remain reliable, we must ensure that the information we disseminate is accurate,” he added.

The envoy while stating that emerging technologies have made communication faster and more accessible, however warned that they have also created sophisticated tools capable of falsifying or recreating realities with ease.

He noted that deepfakes, doctored videos, manipulated images, and AI-generated content now circulate with a level of authenticity that makes them difficult to distinguish from legitimate information.

He referenced a 2024 report by the European Parliament showing that 85% of people globally are worried about disinformation’s impact on their societies, while 87% believe it has already distorted political life.

Mignot noted that Nigeria faces similar challenges. Citing a 2020 Centre for Democracy and Development report, he said disinformation in the country has grown to unprecedented levels, aggravating existing ethnic and religious divisions. With information now spreading rapidly across text, audio, memes, images, and videos, the nation’s traditional “rumour mill” has gained powerful new tools.

The EU outlined a range of interventions designed to strengthen media literacy and counter disinformation in Nigeria and across West Africa. These include monitoring disinformation campaigns, especially those targeting elections, and enhancing media literacy through nationwide training programmes.

Earlier this year, the EU facilitated fact-checking training for members of the Nigerian Guild of Editors in Lagos and continued to support Nigeria’s leading fact-checking platforms, including Dubawa. It has also sponsored Nigerian journalists to attend advanced trainings in Europe, including missions to conflict areas such as Ukraine.

Mignot reaffirmed the bloc’s commitment to partnering with civil society organisations, media institutions, and youth groups to reinforce public access to credible information.

Mignot revealed that revealed that members of DICAN were chosen for the workshop, as they play a crucial role in interpreting foreign information for domestic audiences. Their reporting on international affairs, including EU activities in Nigeria, places them at a critical junction between global narratives and national understanding.

He acknowledged DICAN’s demonstrated interest in combating disinformation, recalling the association’s earlier engagement with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in July.

The EU cautioned that organised disinformation campaigns in West Africa—including those that glamorise anti-democratic actors—continue to erode peace and stability in the region. Nigeria, he said, must remain vigilant against efforts to distort public perception or undermine the credibility of democratic leadership.

The workshop aims to equip journalists with tools to recognise and counter foreign information manipulation, strengthen newsroom verification processes, and improve the resilience of the Nigerian media space.

EU Warns of Rising Foreign Information Manipulation

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Less than 24 hours after triple killing, another Fulani youth slain in fresh Plateau attack by Berom Militia

Published

on

Less than 24 hours after triple killing, another Fulani youth slain in fresh Plateau attack by Berom Militia

By: Zagazola Makama

Less than 24 hours after three Fulani youths were reportedly killed in an attack in Plateau state, another youth has allegedly been killed and one abducted in targeted attack in Riyom LGA by Birom Militia.

Security and local informants told Zagazola Makama that the latest incident occurred on Feb. 21 in Jol community, where suspected Birom militia members attacked herders, killing one Muhammed Sani, while another victim, identified as Faruq Jamilu, was abducted. An unspecified number of cattle were also reportedly killed or injured during the assault.

The development came barely a day after three youths Tahiru Muhammad, Jibrin Salisu and Abdulmumin Isyak were said to have been ambushed and killed on Feb. 19 while returning from Dorowan Babuje in Barkin Ladi area.

Zagazola report that the earlier attack occurred at about 7:00 p.m. near Jong Fulani community. Sources alleged that the victims were intercepted by armed Birom Militia assailants, and security personnel later recovered spent cartridges and a motorcycle and a bottle of alcohol otherwise known as Goskolo at the scene.

Community representatives alleged that the succession of incidents reflected sustained pattern of attacks targeting pastoral settlements and livestock in parts of the state in recent months.

Zagazola report that repeated cases of attacks and killing, cattle poisoning, rustling and arson had heightened tensions and triggered fears of reprisals across the affected areas while the state government and concerned authorities have done little or nothing to fish out the perpetrators.

Less than 24 hours after triple killing, another Fulani youth slain in fresh Plateau attack by Berom Militia

Continue Reading

News

Former CP David Danjuma Auta dies at Air Force Military Hospital, Jos

Published

on

Former CP David Danjuma Auta dies at Air Force Military Hospital, Jos

By: Zagazola Makama

A retired Commissioner of Police, CP David Danjuma Auta (Rtd), JP, KSM, KSS, has died.

He passed away on Feb. 19, 2026, at the Air Force Military Hospital, Jos, after a brief illness.

Born on June 11, 1941, CP Auta enlisted in the Nigeria Police Force on Feb. 26, 1962, and served in several capacities, culminating as Commissioner of Police in Ogun State before retiring on Feb. 26, 1997.

He hailed from Takum Local Government Area of Taraba State.

He is survived by his wife and seven children. The corpse has been deposited at the hospital morgue, and burial arrangements will be communicated in due course.

Former CP David Danjuma Auta dies at Air Force Military Hospital, Jos

Continue Reading

News

Five killed, house burnt in cross-border communal attack in Benue

Published

on

Five killed, house burnt in cross-border communal attack in Benue

By: Zagazola Makama

Five persons have been killed and a house razed following a late-night attack on Azoke village in Ado Local Government Area of Benue.

Sources said the incident occurred at about 9:00 p.m. on Feb. 19 when suspected assailants from Akparata community in Ohaukwu Local Government Area of Ebonyi allegedly invaded the village.

The victims were identified as Nwefuru Elu, Nwefuru Agnes, Nwali Nworie Christianana, Obasi Nwode and Nwozo Nwode.

It was gathered that the attackers also set ablaze a house belonging to one Elumu Nwokwo during the assault, heightening tension in the area.

Security personnel who responded to a distress alert visited the scene and documented evidence as part of preliminary investigation.

Authorities said efforts were ongoing to apprehend those responsible, while further investigation had commenced to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Residents were urged to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies as measures were being intensified to prevent escalation of violence in the area.

Five killed, house burnt in cross-border communal attack in Benue

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights