Connect with us

News

Expanding Economic Partnership with Nigeria Has Always Been Top Priority of Nigeria/Korea Diplomatic Relationship, Says Envoy

Published

on

Expanding Economic Partnership with Nigeria Has Always Been Top Priority of Nigeria/Korea Diplomatic Relationship, Says Envoy

By: Michael Mike

The Korean Ambassador to Nigeria, Kim Pankyu has said expanding economic partnership with Nigeria has always been top priority of his country since the establishment of Nigerian/Korean diplomatic relationship over 44 years ago.

Speaking at a press conference on Monday in Abuja, the envoy who have only spent 50 days in Nigeria, said: “First and foremost, I would like to do my best to further expand economic exchanges between Korea and Nigeria. Promoting economic partnership has always been the focus since the establishment of the diplomatic relations between our two countries 44 years ago.

“Nigeria is already Korea’s top 5 trade partners in Africa. I believe we can do more. Since the current Nigerian government is actively carrying out economic reform to improve business environment in Nigeria, I will introduce this change to Korean companies and encourage them to venture into Nigeria and make investment.”

He added that: “Secondly, I will explore ways to deepen security cooperation drawing on my expertise in military and security affairs. In particular, I would like to focus on promoting cooperation on maritime security because securing maritime security in the Gulf of Guinea is essential not only for coastal countries including Nigeria but also for countries passing through this region including Korea. In addition, I intend to expand Korea’s support for capacity building of the Nigerian military and security officers.”

He assured that he would try to facilitate people-to-people exchange between the two countries. “I believe culture has the power to connect people and improve understanding of each other. Korean Culture Centre in Abuja has played an important role in introducing Korean culture in Nigeria so far. I will do my best to provide Nigerians with more opportunities to experience various Korean cultural contents. I will also explore ways to let more Nigerian students study in Korea,” he added.

The envoy said: “I believe the first Korea-Africa Summit to be held in June in Seoul will be a momentous occasion for the relations between Korea and Africa, and also Korea and Nigeria. The inaugural Korea-Africa Summit is expected to be the largest international gathering under the current administration. This reflects President Yoon Suk-yeol’s commitment to fostering a mutually beneficial, sustainable, and strategic long-term partnership with Africa, aligning with Korea’s vision of becoming a Global Pivotal State. This marks a significant step in Korea’s comprehensive strategy to engage more deeply with the Global South, reflecting our commitment to global inclusiveness and cooperation.”

He revealed that Korea will host many side events on this occasion including Korea-Africa Business Summit and a multiple fora on ICT, health, tourism and energy.

He said: “These events will help us come up with practical and concrete measures to expand cooperation. During the Summit, there will be plenty of opportunities for Nigeria and Korea to explore ways to expand their bilateral economic and cultural exchanges both between governments and private sectors. In a nutshell, I believe the upcoming Korea-Africa Summit will set a new milestone in the relationship between Korea and Africa.”

Expanding Economic Partnership with Nigeria Has Always Been Top Priority of Nigeria/Korea Diplomatic Relationship, Says Envoy

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Published

on

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.

The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.

According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.

The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Published

on

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.

The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.

According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.

The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability

Published

on

JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability

By: Zagazola Makama

The reported deadly attack on a Nigerien Army engineering unit near Garbougna in the Tillaberi Region marks a significant escalation in the evolving security dynamics of western Niger and the wider Sahel.

With an estimated 67 soldiers and civilians reportedly killed and a military camp destroyed, the incident underscores both the intensity and increasing sophistication of militant operations in the region.

Beyond the immediate casualties, the attack is notable for its attribution to Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), which swiftly claimed responsibility. Tillaberi have long been considered a stronghold of Islamic State in the Sahel (IS Sahel), suggesting a possible shift in operational influence or encroachment into contested territory.

The incident reflects an emerging pattern of geographic diffusion of jihadist violence across the Tera–Niamey corridor, an axis that has repeatedly come under pressure from armed groups. The corridor connects several vulnerable departments, including Tera, Torodi, Say and Ayorou, all of which have experienced repeated attacks in recent years.

The Garbougna attack also fits into a broader sequence of high-casualty operations across Niger since early 2026, including reported strikes near Niamey airport in January and Makalondi in February. These incidents collectively indicate sustained pressure on Nigerien security forces and an expanding operational reach of armed groups closer to strategic population centres.

Of particular concern is the apparent intensification of competition between IS Sahel and JNIM. While both groups have historically operated in overlapping zones, recent claims of responsibility and counter-claims suggest a more overt struggle for influence, recruitment, and territorial control. The reported clash between the two factions near Petel Kole earlier in the year further supports this assessment.

The implications of this rivalry are significant. Rather than reducing violence through competition, the fragmentation of jihadist groups in the Sahel has in some cases resulted in increased attacks, as factions seek to demonstrate operational strength and legitimacy.

At the same time, the weakening of state presence in rural and border communities is compounding the crisis. Reports of closed schools, non-functional health facilities, and inactive markets point to a gradual erosion of governance structures in affected areas. This vacuum continues to facilitate militant mobility and recruitment.

Another critical dimension is the increasing use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which has reportedly hindered post-attack clearance operations in the Garbougna area. Such tactics not only slow military response but also expand the risk zone for civilians and security forces alike.

Strategically, Tillaberi remains the epicentre of Niger’s insecurity challenges, given its proximity to the Mali and Burkina Faso border regions. The corridor’s proximity to Niamey raises additional concerns, particularly regarding potential spillover effects into the capital’s security perimeter.

The Garbougna attack, therefore, illustrates a convergence of three destabilising trends: escalating casualty levels, intensified jihadist competition, and shrinking state control in border regions. Taken together, these dynamics suggest a deteriorating security outlook for western Niger, with implications that extend beyond national boundaries into the wider Sahel security architecture.

JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights