Connect with us

National News

Failure of Nigeria’s Election Spell Doom For Democracy in West Africa- ECOWAS

Published

on

Failure of Nigeria’s Election Spell Doom For Democracy in West Africa- ECOWAS

By: Michael Mike

The Economic Community of West Africa States (ECOWAS) Observer Mission to Nigeria has said Nigeria’s election remains a guide to other countries in West Africa and cannot just be allowed to fail as it would spell doom for democracy in the sub region.

ECOWAS, while insisting that the 2023 elections in Nigeria should set the pace for other countries to follow in West Africa,
further noted that the elections must reflect the will of the people as practiced in all democracies.

The mission, led by former President of Sierra Leone, Ernest Koroma, stated this at a meeting with ECOWAS observers on Thursday in Abuja.

Koroma, while acknowledging that election observation is never an easy responsibility, noted that the process of an election and the election result was a major challenge in electoral process.

The former Sierra Leone’s President said that the ECOWAS 250 observers to Nigeria are not expected to dictate electoral proceedings, noting this is the most competitive election so far in the country and urged the observers to abide by the principles of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The former President explained that: “Our presence in Nigeria is, therefore, more than significant. It is first and foremost a legal obligation in applying the provisions of the Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance. Our role is to observe whether the conduct, organisation, and holding of the 25th February 2023 presidential elections comply with the standards set out in the above-mentioned Protocol.

“The elections that will take place in the next two days are crucial, not only for the brotherly people of Nigeria but for the entire ECOWAS sub-region. The campaign process has been carried out without much incident. However, the forthcoming phases, namely voting, counting, and the proclamation of results, are the most decisive. What will happen on 25th February 2023 is of the utmost importance for the Nigerian citizens, but also for all of us West African citizens.

“For that reason, the ECOWAS authorities are keeping a very close eye on these elections. They call for the highest sense of responsibility from all stakeholders involved in these elections, starting with the political parties, the State authorities, the civil society stakeholders, and the entire citizens.

“We would have also succeeded in ensuring that what comes out of this elections will set the pace for the elections to come. We have two other elections in Sierra Leone and Liberia. Next year, we have critical elections. When what happens have reflect the will of the people, I am sure other countries coming after Nigeria will toll the line.”

In his remarks, the President of the ECOWAS Commission, Omar Touray, appreciated the importance of Nigeria to West Africa, stating that the outcome of the elections will affect West Africa and the world as a whole.

Touray noted that most foreign observers deployed to observe the elections in Nigeria depend on the observations and recommendations of ECOWAS Observers, adding that its observers must report nothing but the truth.

He said: “Ahead of your deployment to your stations, you have been selected on integrity, competence and your zeal for democracy to thrive in Africa.

“When asked how I sense the direction of these elections, I see good elections in Nigeria that will reflect the will of Nigerians.

“We have deployed the largest observers. Most of the observer groups depend on what ECOWAS says or report. Therefore, your mission is important to ECOWAS and the world.

“Report the truth and nothing but the truth. Do away with fake news. ECOWAS observers must show that we can be leaders.”

Failure of Nigeria’s Election Spell Doom For Democracy in West Africa- ECOWAS

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

Published

on

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Four Nigerian soldiers have sustained injuries in a vehicle accident on the Mambilla Plateau in Taraba State.

The accident occurred on Thursday while the troops were moving across the mountainous terrain of the area, Zagazola reports.

The Emir of Mambilla, Dr. Shehu Audu Baju, was said to have personally joined in the rescue operation to ensure that the soldiers received prompt assistance.

Following the rescue, the injured personnel were evacuated to the 20 Battalion Barracks in Serti for urgent medical care.

Community members and traditional leaders in the area have expressed sympathy and prayed for the speedy recovery of the soldiers, while also calling for the safety of other security operatives on duty.

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

Continue Reading

National News

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

Published

on

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

By: Michael Mike

The United Kingdom Nigeria Infrastructure Advisory Facility (UKNIAF), in partnership with the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF) have wrapped up a major national initiative to support State-led electricity market reforms.

The State Learning Workshop Series focused on Electricity Market Development, Integrated Resource Planning (IRP) and energy modelling software.

Workshops in Lagos, Calabar, Kano and Jos have been successfully completed, drawing participants from all the 36 States and the FCT and setting a strong precedent for what lies ahead.

These sessions equipped policymakers, regulators and stakeholders with the tools to design robust, sustainable and investor-ready electricity markets at the State level, in line with the provisions of the Electricity Act 2023.

Reflecting on the significance of this initiative, the Director-Legal/Head Power Desk at the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, Mr. Chijioke Chuku,, stated that: “Nigeria’s electricity future depends on the capacity of our States to lead with vision, clarity, and technical precision. Through the workshop series, we are equipping States not just with knowledge, but with the confidence to take charge of their electricity markets. The NGF is proud to partner with UKNIAF in ensuring that the promise of the Electricity Act 2023 becomes a lived reality across the country.”

The sessions in the State Learning Workshops covered: The legal and regulatory pathways for setting up State Electricity Markets; Commercial models for private sector investment; Integration of State plans into Nigeria’s National IRP;

Practical training on the software platform for energy modelling.

The initiative drew from lessons learned in the course of UKNIAF’s work supporting the Akwa Ibom, Enugu, and Oyo State Governments—early movers in electricity market development—in setting up their markets.

It also drew from experience gained in the course of UKNIAF providing technical support to the Federal Ministry of Power in drafting both the National Integrated Electricity Policy and Nigeria’s first National Integrated Resource Plan, both of which were approved very recently.

With States now empowered by the Electricity Act 2023, this series is a timely and strategic effort to ensure capacity, coordination, and sustainability in Nigeria’s decentralised energy landscape.

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

Continue Reading

National News

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

Published

on

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

By: Zagazola Makama

Armed bandits have killed three persons and injured three others in an attack on Galadi town, Shinkafi Local Government Area of Zamfara.

Sources confirmed the incident saying the attack occurred at about 10:50 p.m. on Aug. 27.

The sources said the bandits stormed the town, shooting sporadically, which resulted in the deaths and injuries.

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were mobilised to the scene. The corpses and injured victims were evacuated to Galadi Primary Health Care Centre for autopsy and treatment.

Meanwhile, a manhunt for the fleeing culprits has been intensified, as the bandits escaped before the arrival of the joint forces,” the sources said.

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights