News
Family members of train attack apprehensive over where-about of relatives

Family members of train attack apprehensive over where-about of relatives
Some family members of passengers aboard the Kaduna-bound train attacked on Monday say they are yet to know the fate of their relatives.
Speaking to a journalist at the Rigasa Railway station in Kaduna on Tuesday, they said they were yet to establish contact, 14 hours after the tragic incident.
They, therefore, appealed to the state government to come to their aid to relieve them of the apprehension they were passing through.
READ ALSO: Japan Provides Assistance To Boost Africa’s Health System
Mr Mohammed Barau, a resident of Ungwan Rimi area of Kaduna, said he was at the train station to have an update regarding the incident, adding that his younger brother was in the train attacked.
“We called his line several times without response, until later his friend seated with him in the train picked and told us that my brother left his phone on the seat, and that he did not know his where-about.
“When we later tried to call again, the phone was switched off, and when we called the friend, he was not picking up.
“By now, the government should have released a comprehensive list of people killed, those injured, as well as the number of people evacuated.
“At least, when this is done, it would give us some peace of mind, but we have not heard anything yet,” he said
Also, Miss Lami Gombo, a resident of Kudenden, in Kaduna, said she was yet to hear from her brother, who was on board the train.
“His telephone lines are switched off; we have been to the Nigerian Army Reference Hospital, but did not see him there.
“The development is worrisomeas; the entire family is confused as to whether our brother is still alive, dead, or had been kidnaped,” she said.
Others who spoke to NAN expressed same feeling, adding that their minds were never at rest as a result of the non-contact with relatives on board the attacked train.
A staff of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, who was also on the ill-fated train, told NAN that some of the passengers had fled into the bush for safety when the incident occurred.
“No body can ascertain whether passengers were kidnaped or not, but the pandemonium must have caused a lot of people to run into the bush to safeguard their lives,” said the staff, who did not want his name mentioned.
NAN reports that the Kaduna-bound train, which left Abuja 6pm on Monday, was attacked by suspected terrorists around 7.45 pm, with just 15 minutes drive left for it to arrive Kaduna.
Kaduna State Commissioner for Home Affairs and Internal Security, Mr Samuel Aruwan, on Tuesday said the train had been secured by military personnel, and that government had evacuated passenger on board it.
He said the staff of Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (KADSEMA) and Nigeria Red Cross, Kaduna chapter, conducted the evacuation.
When contacted by NAN for details of the casualty figure, an official of KADSEMA who did not want his name mentioned, said they were still working on the details.
Meanwhile, train service, including other business activities at the Rigasa Railway station, Kaduna, had been grounded as a result of the incident.
News
ECOWAS Stategizes to Get US$2.61 Billion to Fund Standby Force

ECOWAS Stategizes to Get US$2.61 Billion to Fund Standby Force
By: Michael Mike
Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has meant to fine tune the strategies to adopt to meet the US$ 2.61 billion annually required to emplaced 5,000 personnel for the West African Standby Force
The Ministers of Defence and Finance from the regional bloc gathered in Abuja on Thursday and Friday to put final touches on how to get the needed fund for the regional counter terrorism force.
The region has targeted 5, 000 standby force to tackle security challenges in the West African region. On a short run, ECOWAS is taking off with 1,650 force.
A Force of 5,000-man brigade will cost the region US$ 2.61billion in the first year of taking off.
It was agreed that the region will have to cough out an estimated sum of US$ 481.5million for the 1,650 man brigade
However, there is the challenge of how to fund the already activated standby force.
This brought about the meeting of ECOWAS Finance experts on the modalities for funds mobilisation for the activation of a regional force to fight against terrorism.
Speaking at the meeting, the President of the ECOWAS Commission, Dr. Omar Alieu Touray said that the emergence of terrorist group activities within and around West Africa has become a matter of serious concern to governments and citizens of the region.
Touray stressed that all terrorists’ activities have serious implications for international trade and investment in the region.
He added: “The activities of terrorist groups could dismantle regional trade and the movement of people, goods, and services within and across the West African region, thus reducing economic and social interaction among ECOWAS states. In effect, terrorism in whatever form has been identified by ECOWAS leaders as a major threat to the integration effort of the body.”
He also pointed out that “the Sahel region, in particular, has seen a dramatic increase in terrorist operations, driven by political instability, weak governance, and ongoing conflicts. This shift marks a notable change from previous years, where the Middle East was the primary region affected by terrorism.
“Faced with the reality of terrorism as a phenomenon in the ECOWAS region, the regional body has been actively engaged in counter-terrorism efforts, deploying a multi-faceted approach. The approach covers developing a comprehensive Counter-Terrorism Strategy and Implementation Plan, establishing a Standby Force, and fostering regional cooperation on intelligence sharing, training, and humanitarian interventions.”
The meeting looked at an impact assessment of the increase of the community levy on the economy of Member States and the cost-effectiveness of the options.
“As I conclude my statement, allow me to say that fighting terrorism remains part of our top priority, and with your support and commitment, ECOWAS citizens will be protected from this menace, and our Community will continue to thrive,” he noted.
On his part, Nigeria Minister of Defence, Mohammad Badaru Abubakar said ineecurity has not only undermine the collective peace and security of the region but also threaten the economic stability and democratic aspirations of our people.
He said: “We gather at a time when our region faces complex and evolving threats of terrorism and violent extremism, transnational organized crimes, and the resurgence of unconstitutional changes of government. These challenges not only undermine our collective peace and security, but also threaten the economic stability and democratic aspirations of our people.”
He pointed out that the session “marks a critical step forward in our shared commitment to activate a regional counterterrorism force, a mechanism that embodies our regional resolve to safeguard sovereignty, uphold constitutional order, and protect the lives and livelihoods of our citizens.
“As Ministers of Finance and Defence, we stand at the intersection of strategy and sustainability. The decisions we make here must reflect both the urgency of our security imperatives and the prudence required to ensure long-term viability.
“It is in this regard, that I wish to commend the ECOWAS Commission for the actionable proposal put forward for our consideration, and the Experts whose diligent work and insightful recommendations have laid the foundation for our deliberations. Their report presents us with key issues that demand our careful consideration, ranging from financing modalities and operational readiness to governance structures and accountability frameworks.
“As we move forward with these proposals, it is essential to underscore the importance of aligning our strategic objectives with predictable, sustainable and transparent funding modalities.
“To this end, may I invite the Ministers to consider these modalities not just as financial instruments, but as enablers of long-term impact.
“Whether through the adjustment of Community Levy, recovery of Community Levy arrears, GDP-based contributions, direct budgetary allocations, blended financing, or targeted partnerships, it is my belief that each approach has been designed to support scalability, accountability, and measurable outcomes.”
He also assured them of Nigeria’s commitment “to working collaboratively to refine these pathways and ensure that the chosen funding structures reflect both national priorities and regional aspirations.”
ECOWAS Stategizes to Get US$2.61 Billion to Fund Standby Force
News
How climate-smart agriculture is empowering women in Adamawa

How climate-smart agriculture is empowering women in Adamawa
Struck by insurgency in 2014, resulting in their displacement from Borno State to Adamawa State, life became meaningless for many of the women having fled their villages with their families to escape the harsh and devastating reality driven by the violent activities of Boko Haram.
Relocating to Adamawa State, many of the women who are mainly smallholder farmers had their plights worsened by the impacts of climate change, which further reduced their chances of having a good life for themselves and their children.
In the face of those difficulties, some of the women found hope in agriculture, a familiar terrain but with a new approach – Climate-Smart Agriculture (CSA).
Sharing their experiences in a chat with Our Correspondent during a field engagement organised by Propcom+, a UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO)-funded programme, Rebecca James, Mary Peter and Rachael John narrated how embracing climate-smart agriculture has helped transformed their lives and livelihoods.
Rebecca James, a 70-year-old widow testified to the benefits of using climate-resilient seeds.
She said cultivating soya beans with improved seeds had significantly boosted her yield.
“From my small piece of land, I harvested 15 bags of soya beans last year.
“The proceeds helped me build a one-room apartment.
“I urge other women to embrace improved seeds to earn more and live better lives,” she said.
Mary Peter said embracing climate-smart agriculture had helped her recover from indebtedness, stressing that she had paid all her debtors from the proceeds of cultivating improved seeds.
According to her, she harvested over 20 bags of paddy in 2024 which earned her enough profit beyond her expectations.
She said she made N1 million from cultivating rice in 2024 and was able to “gallantly” provide food for her children.
“I can tell you that with the support from Asmau Farms and Propcom+ in terms of seed multiplication which ensured the availability of the right seeds to cultivate, we all have moved up, away from acute poverty.”
For Rachael John, a 54-year-old maize farmer, life has become meaningful as she no longer experienced the losses she usually did witnessed while cultivating maize before she embraced the use of improved seeds.
John said she had used the proceeds from her vocation to establish another business where she sells grains.
“If most women farmers use the kind of seeds we are using, poverty will be reduce in rural areas; this is the best way to empower women and reduce poverty while boosting food availability.”
The farmers commended Asmau Farms Limited and Propcom+ for providing all the support especially the seed and technical support to them.
They, however, appealed to Propcom+ to further assist them in providing water to enable them to carry out irrigation farming so that they could cultivate their crops all-year-round.
How climate-smart agriculture is empowering women in Adamawa
Crime
Gunmen kill one, abduct two women in Kano

Gunmen kill one, abduct two women in Kano
By: Zagazola Makama
Armed men have killed one person and abducted two women in Kwanar Dangora community, Kiru Local Government Area of Kano State.
Zagazola Makama report that the attack occurred at about 12:30 a.m. on Friday when the hoodlums, in large numbers and armed with dangerous weapons, invaded the residence of one Alhaji Ibrahim at Kwanar Dangora.
According to sources, the assailants abducted the two wives of the victim, identified as Safara’u Ibrahim and Attine Ibrahim.
“In the process, one Abdul Usman, 27, of the same address, was shot dead by the attackers.
“Scene of the incident was visited, the corpse was released to his relatives for burial.
“Investigation has commenced and efforts are being intensified to rescue the victims unhurt, trace and arrest the culprits,”said sources.
Gunmen kill one, abduct two women in Kano
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
Opinions4 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS2 years ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions2 years ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics3 months ago
2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift