Connect with us

National News

FG establishes pad bank for NYSC workforce, corps members, others

Published

on

FG establishes pad bank for NYSC workforce, corps members, others

FG establishes pad bank for NYSC workforce, corps members, others

The Federal Government has established a Pad Bank for National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) female staff, corps members and other visitors that may have emergency menstrual flow in the office.

A statement by the Director, Press and Public Relations, Ministry of Women Affairs, Mr Eddy Megwa, said Mrs Pauline Tallen, the Minister for Women Affairs, unveiled the bank at the NYSC headquarters in Abuja.

She emphasised the need for continuous sensitisation of the girl child and female folk to menstrual and personal hygiene.

She also urged for continuous campaign against gender-based violence and the need to change the negative social norms among the female folk.

Tallen said efforts should be intensified on the sensitisation, enrolment, orientation and education of the girl child.

According to her, menstruation makes the girl child an easy prey for early marriage, sexual violence, teenage pregnancy, school drop-out, trafficking, among others.

“It is on this note that the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs mainstreamed menstrual and health management hygiene programmes and intervention to promote awareness on menstruation and hygiene.

“It is also to build the capacity of women and adolescents to see menstruation as a normal biological process,” Tallen said.

She urged Nigerians to embrace love and peaceful co-existence as election periods were drawing near.

“I am appealing to all Nigerians, especially our future leaders to give peace a chance. Everyone has a role to play and we must all be peace ambassadors.”

NYSC Director-General Brig.-Gen. Muhammad Fadah said the scheme would continue to make its workplace conducive, especially as it related to the female gender.

Fadah who was represented by the Director of Information and Communication Technology (ICT), Mrs Christy Uba, said ever since gender mainstreaming became a national issue, the NYSC keyed into it and internalised it into its activities and programmes.

He added that the scheme had made giant strides on capacity building of gender officers and sensitisation and advocacy campaigns in rural communities.

“I believe the choice of the NYSC as one of the Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to be honoured by the presence of the Minister to unveil this Pad Bank is trajectory to the scheme’s commitment to effective and efficient service delivery.”

Fadah added that the unveiling of the bank would launch a new era of partnership between the NYSC and Federal Ministry of Women Affairs.

This, he said, was especially in the areas of gender sensitivity, provision of pad bank and support to the female staff in the workplace and during orientation programmes.

The Head of Reforms Unit, Abdullahi Baba, said the main objective of the initiative was to support career women not to leave their workplace or absent themselves from duty during their monthly flow.

He added that the benefits of the initiative include the provision of free pads to female staff members and visitors who may have emergency flow in the office.

Abdullahi also said that since 2014 when the issue of menstruation gained global attention, May 28 every year had been set aside as the World Menstrual and Hygiene Day to create awareness.

He said that the Director-General, having taken cognisance of women’s schedule of work, approved the establishment of pad bank in the scheme.

“This is due to the fact that menstrual flow does not give notice and this can lead to lateness to work, absenteeism from workplace and also discomfort on the affected staff while at work, all which can contribute immensely to low staff productivity.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

Published

on

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Four Nigerian soldiers have sustained injuries in a vehicle accident on the Mambilla Plateau in Taraba State.

The accident occurred on Thursday while the troops were moving across the mountainous terrain of the area, Zagazola reports.

The Emir of Mambilla, Dr. Shehu Audu Baju, was said to have personally joined in the rescue operation to ensure that the soldiers received prompt assistance.

Following the rescue, the injured personnel were evacuated to the 20 Battalion Barracks in Serti for urgent medical care.

Community members and traditional leaders in the area have expressed sympathy and prayed for the speedy recovery of the soldiers, while also calling for the safety of other security operatives on duty.

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

Continue Reading

National News

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

Published

on

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

By: Michael Mike

The United Kingdom Nigeria Infrastructure Advisory Facility (UKNIAF), in partnership with the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF) have wrapped up a major national initiative to support State-led electricity market reforms.

The State Learning Workshop Series focused on Electricity Market Development, Integrated Resource Planning (IRP) and energy modelling software.

Workshops in Lagos, Calabar, Kano and Jos have been successfully completed, drawing participants from all the 36 States and the FCT and setting a strong precedent for what lies ahead.

These sessions equipped policymakers, regulators and stakeholders with the tools to design robust, sustainable and investor-ready electricity markets at the State level, in line with the provisions of the Electricity Act 2023.

Reflecting on the significance of this initiative, the Director-Legal/Head Power Desk at the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, Mr. Chijioke Chuku,, stated that: “Nigeria’s electricity future depends on the capacity of our States to lead with vision, clarity, and technical precision. Through the workshop series, we are equipping States not just with knowledge, but with the confidence to take charge of their electricity markets. The NGF is proud to partner with UKNIAF in ensuring that the promise of the Electricity Act 2023 becomes a lived reality across the country.”

The sessions in the State Learning Workshops covered: The legal and regulatory pathways for setting up State Electricity Markets; Commercial models for private sector investment; Integration of State plans into Nigeria’s National IRP;

Practical training on the software platform for energy modelling.

The initiative drew from lessons learned in the course of UKNIAF’s work supporting the Akwa Ibom, Enugu, and Oyo State Governments—early movers in electricity market development—in setting up their markets.

It also drew from experience gained in the course of UKNIAF providing technical support to the Federal Ministry of Power in drafting both the National Integrated Electricity Policy and Nigeria’s first National Integrated Resource Plan, both of which were approved very recently.

With States now empowered by the Electricity Act 2023, this series is a timely and strategic effort to ensure capacity, coordination, and sustainability in Nigeria’s decentralised energy landscape.

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

Continue Reading

National News

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

Published

on

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

By: Zagazola Makama

Armed bandits have killed three persons and injured three others in an attack on Galadi town, Shinkafi Local Government Area of Zamfara.

Sources confirmed the incident saying the attack occurred at about 10:50 p.m. on Aug. 27.

The sources said the bandits stormed the town, shooting sporadically, which resulted in the deaths and injuries.

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were mobilised to the scene. The corpses and injured victims were evacuated to Galadi Primary Health Care Centre for autopsy and treatment.

Meanwhile, a manhunt for the fleeing culprits has been intensified, as the bandits escaped before the arrival of the joint forces,” the sources said.

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights