Connect with us

News

FG Expresses Displeasure Over Numbers of Nigerian Sites on World Heritage Sites

Published

on

FG Expresses Displeasure Over Numbers of Nigerian Sites on World Heritage Sites

By: Michael Mike

The Federal Government has expressed worries over the few number of Nigerian Cultural heritage on World Heritage Sites.

This was echoed at the Netherlands Fund-In-Trust Supported Project to support the implementation of the World Heritage Decision to Protect Osun-Osogbo Sacred Grove.

The two heritages have a recent recognition with Sukur Cultural Landscape listed on the world heritage sites in 1999, while Osun-Osogbo Sacred Grove was listed in 2005.

According to the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) record, only Osun-Oshogbo Sacred Grove in Osun and Sukur Cultural Landscape in Adamawa are presently known in Nigeria.

At the occasion, the Head of Office, UNESCO Abuja Regional Office, Mr. Abdourahamane Diallo promised that he would promote the further enlistment of new sites to the World Heritage List and the continued protection and conservation of those sites in Nigeria already on the list.

Abdourahamane said among the objectives “are the further enlistment of new sites to the World Heritage List and the continued protection and conservation of those sites in Nigeria already put on the list.”

“This is also the place for me to congratulate myself on the quality of the collaboration between the Culture Team in Abuja Office and the Nigerian culture ecosystem, especially with CSOs such as TechSAH and the People and Culture Protection Initiative,” he buttressed.

In the same vein, the Minister of Arts, Culture and Tourism, Hannatu Musa Musawa said at the event that the number of heritage sites in Nigeria is quite few and unacceptable.

She said: “The fact that Nigeria only has only two sites; Sukur Landscape and Osun-Osogbo Sacred Grove on world list, is too minimum to me; it is not enough for a country like Nigeria that has many expressions of culture.

“Certainly, we have to work in tandem with UNESCO to ensure that within the next couple of years, we expanded exponentially to ensure that Nigeria has a number of sites recognized on the UNESCO list. She said.

Also, Dr. Lateef Olagunju, Secretary-General, National Commission for UNESCO, Nigeria, said the event was essential because it address cultural dynamics and development in the society. He said.

“They are the priceless assets we have which connect us to the past and the future,” he said

However, the Project Lead, Technological Support for Aiding Humanity TechSAH, Mr. Chinedu Gbulie, appreciate the quality of the collaboration between the Culture Team in Abuja office and the Nigerian culture ecosystem, especially with CSOs such as TechSAH and the People and Culture Protection Initiative. He thanked UNESCO for its support in investing in the cultural sector in Nigeria.under the project. He said TechSAH visited the states to explore ways to protect and preserve the cultural heritage sites.

Chinedu said through the project, the capacity of the security agencies in the country had been improved on protecting these assets.

“We have opened their eyes to how to track and prevent moving cultural heritage outside Nigeria,” he said.

FG Expresses Displeasure Over Numbers of Nigerian Sites on World Heritage Sites

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Six Arrested as Farmers, Herders Clash in Adamawa

Published

on

Six Arrested as Farmers, Herders Clash in Adamawa

By: Zagazola Makama

The Adamawa State Police Command has arrested six suspects following a clash between farmers and herders in Waduku, Lamurde Local Government Area, which resulted in injuries to a villager and 11 cattle.

Sources told Zagazola Makama that the incident occurred around 4:30 p.m. on April 2 when some herders allegedly trespassed into a rice farm and caused damage to the crops.

In retaliation, angry youths from the village attacked the herders, injuring their cattle and wounding one person identified as Righteous Boti from Nzumoso Village.

Security personnel visited the scene and held an emergency meeting with local stakeholders to prevent further escalation of violence.

The arrested suspects include Rabo Buba, 31; Ahmadu Adamu, 20; Stephen Pwagwadi, 17; Shadrach Simon, 19; Lot Gad, 20; and Righteous Boti, 27.

The injured individuals received treatment at the Tingno Primary Health Care Clinic and have since been discharged.

Six Arrested as Farmers, Herders Clash in Adamawa

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Thief Dies After Being Beaten by Man O’ War officer, in FCT

Published

on

Suspected Thief Dies After Being Beaten by Man O’ War officer, in FCT

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected thief in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has died after being beaten by a security officer following his apprehension on April 2.

A Police sources said that a distress call was received at Karu Division about a suspected thief seen around Supreme Quarters in Karu at approximately 1:00 p.m.

The suspect was approached by security personnel who believed him to be involved in theft. When questioned, the suspect attempted to flee but was quickly chased and apprehended by civilian security personnel.

Kola Oba, a Man O’ War officer, then reportedly took the suspect into custody and subjected him to severe physical abuse. The suspect later succumbed to the injuries sustained during the beating and passed away.

The sources said that the Police detectives were dispatched to the scene, and photographs were taken. The body was subsequently transported to the hospital mortuary for preservation.

The suspect’s identity remains unknown, and efforts are underway to locate his family. The officer involved has been arrested.

Suspected Thief Dies After Being Beaten by Man O’ War officer, in FCT

Continue Reading

News

Sokoto: Man Arrested for Killing Woman in Domestic Dispute

Published

on

Sokoto: Man Arrested for Killing Woman in Domestic Dispute

By: Zagazola Makama

A domestic dispute in Sagera Ango Village, Gada LGA, turned deadly on April 2, 2025, when Ali Garba, during a heated argument with A’isha Araga, attacked her with a cutlass.

The altercation, which escalated quickly, resulted in Ali Garba inflicting severe injuries on A’isha’s neck and other parts of her body.

Security personnel, responded promptly to the scene and rushed A’isha to General Hospital Gada for medical treatment. However, she succumbed to her injuries while receiving care.

Ali Garba was immediately apprehended by the police and is in custody.

The case has been handed over to the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Criminal Investigation Department (DC CID), for further discreet investigation.

Sokoto: Man Arrested for Killing Woman in Domestic Dispute

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights