News
FG Moves To Reset National Addressing Council
FG Moves To Reset National Addressing Council
*As VP Shettima demands urgent standardisation of nation’s addressing system to improve service delivery
By: Our Reporter
The federal government has taken critical steps to reinvigorate the National Addressing Council (NAC) in a bid to address challenges associated with the addressing system in Nigeria.
Accordingly, a new NAC and a technical committee is to be inaugurated next year to drive the country’s agenda on planning, economic, and financial inclusion, as well as ensuring an effective national addressing system.
The decision was taken on Wednesday during a pre-meeting of the council chaired by Vice President Kashim Shettima at the Presidential Villa.
Underscoring the need for the immediate standardisation of Nigeria’s addressing system, the Vice President described the move as essential for improving service delivery, enhancing urban planning, and driving economic growth.
Addressing stakeholders at the meeting, the VP noted that standardising Nigeria’s addressing system is long overdue, adding that it will end decades of infrastructural deficits and create a systematic approach to national address mapping.
He said, “We cannot solve the challenges of urban planning, service delivery, or even basic navigation unless we establish a system that creates order. A robust addressing system is not just about convenience; it is about national development, security, and socio-economic progress.”
The Vice President decried the consequences of the current disorganised system, noting its impact on governance, logistics, and the financial inclusion of many Nigerians.
“We live in cities where most houses are either haphazardly numbered or not numbered at all. This does more than complicate address mapping—it undermines trust in address verification, slows emergency responses, and excludes millions from financial services,” he explained.
VP Shettima praised the foundational work done seven years ago when the National Addressing System initiative was introduced, noting, however, that there is a need to move beyond frameworks to actionable implementation.
He continued: “This was not a vision to be left in dusty drawers or delayed indefinitely. Addressing is fundamental to our aspirations of becoming a 21st-century economy.
“A standardised addressing system will enhance logistics, strengthen e-commerce, and foster trust in financial services. It will also enable accurate emergency response and disaster management, ensuring that no Nigerian is left behind.

“The challenge before us is not about delegating responsibilities but about creating a synergy that cuts across federal, state, and local governments. Political will and technical expertise must work hand in hand to make this initiative a success”.
The Vice President further explained that the meeting marked the beginning of a transformative journey towards a Nigeria defined by order, trust, and opportunity.
“We are not just solving logistical challenges; we are laying the foundation for a more organised, secure, and prosperous Nigeria. This is our collective responsibility, and we must see it through,” he added.
The VP’s charge at the meeting was followed by two presentations from the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) and the Nigerian Postal Service (NIPOST).
Earlier in his remarks, the Deputy Chief of Staff to the President (Office of the Vice President), Senator Ibrahim Hassan Hadejia, said the focus of the meeting was to galvanize the federal government’s renewed efforts in driving economic and financial inclusion, among other targets.
He said leveraging opportunities in the National Addressing System would fast track government’s vision of attaining inclusivity and economic prosperity, especially for Nigerians in the rural areas.
The presentation by the National Identity Management Commission focused on enhancing the nation’s address verification system and building a critical infrastructure for the national addressing database project.
The overview of the National Addressing System by NIPOST highlighted the work done by the current management, emphasizing the need for harmonizing the address database in Nigeria.
The NIPOST presentation focused more on harmonizing the postcode with the national addressing system, deploying the latest technology, particularly geo-locating the physical addresses of Nigerians captured in the project.
Present at the meeting were the Minister of State for Housing and Urban Development, Hon. Yusuf Abdullahi Ata; the Director General of NIMC, Engr. Abisoye Coker-Odusote; Post Master General of the Federation/CEO, Engr. Omotola Odeyemi; representatives of Moniepoint, Konga and other stakeholders in the fintech, e-commerce and identity management sector.
FG Moves To Reset National Addressing Council
News
Less than 24 hours after triple killing, another Fulani youth slain in fresh Plateau attack by Berom Militia
Less than 24 hours after triple killing, another Fulani youth slain in fresh Plateau attack by Berom Militia
By: Zagazola Makama
Less than 24 hours after three Fulani youths were reportedly killed in an attack in Plateau state, another youth has allegedly been killed and one abducted in targeted attack in Riyom LGA by Birom Militia.
Security and local informants told Zagazola Makama that the latest incident occurred on Feb. 21 in Jol community, where suspected Birom militia members attacked herders, killing one Muhammed Sani, while another victim, identified as Faruq Jamilu, was abducted. An unspecified number of cattle were also reportedly killed or injured during the assault.

The development came barely a day after three youths Tahiru Muhammad, Jibrin Salisu and Abdulmumin Isyak were said to have been ambushed and killed on Feb. 19 while returning from Dorowan Babuje in Barkin Ladi area.
Zagazola report that the earlier attack occurred at about 7:00 p.m. near Jong Fulani community. Sources alleged that the victims were intercepted by armed Birom Militia assailants, and security personnel later recovered spent cartridges and a motorcycle and a bottle of alcohol otherwise known as Goskolo at the scene.
Community representatives alleged that the succession of incidents reflected sustained pattern of attacks targeting pastoral settlements and livestock in parts of the state in recent months.
Zagazola report that repeated cases of attacks and killing, cattle poisoning, rustling and arson had heightened tensions and triggered fears of reprisals across the affected areas while the state government and concerned authorities have done little or nothing to fish out the perpetrators.
Less than 24 hours after triple killing, another Fulani youth slain in fresh Plateau attack by Berom Militia
News
Former CP David Danjuma Auta dies at Air Force Military Hospital, Jos
Former CP David Danjuma Auta dies at Air Force Military Hospital, Jos
By: Zagazola Makama
A retired Commissioner of Police, CP David Danjuma Auta (Rtd), JP, KSM, KSS, has died.
He passed away on Feb. 19, 2026, at the Air Force Military Hospital, Jos, after a brief illness.
Born on June 11, 1941, CP Auta enlisted in the Nigeria Police Force on Feb. 26, 1962, and served in several capacities, culminating as Commissioner of Police in Ogun State before retiring on Feb. 26, 1997.
He hailed from Takum Local Government Area of Taraba State.
He is survived by his wife and seven children. The corpse has been deposited at the hospital morgue, and burial arrangements will be communicated in due course.
Former CP David Danjuma Auta dies at Air Force Military Hospital, Jos
News
Five killed, house burnt in cross-border communal attack in Benue
Five killed, house burnt in cross-border communal attack in Benue
By: Zagazola Makama
Five persons have been killed and a house razed following a late-night attack on Azoke village in Ado Local Government Area of Benue.
Sources said the incident occurred at about 9:00 p.m. on Feb. 19 when suspected assailants from Akparata community in Ohaukwu Local Government Area of Ebonyi allegedly invaded the village.
The victims were identified as Nwefuru Elu, Nwefuru Agnes, Nwali Nworie Christianana, Obasi Nwode and Nwozo Nwode.
It was gathered that the attackers also set ablaze a house belonging to one Elumu Nwokwo during the assault, heightening tension in the area.
Security personnel who responded to a distress alert visited the scene and documented evidence as part of preliminary investigation.
Authorities said efforts were ongoing to apprehend those responsible, while further investigation had commenced to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Residents were urged to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies as measures were being intensified to prevent escalation of violence in the area.
Five killed, house burnt in cross-border communal attack in Benue
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
