News
FG TO LAUNCH $617M INVESTMENT IN DIGITAL, CREATIVE ENTERPRISES PROGRAMME
FG TO LAUNCH $617M INVESTMENT IN DIGITAL, CREATIVE ENTERPRISES PROGRAMME
…VP Shettima directs technical committee to ensure inclusivity
By: Our Reporter
Determined to deliver on the promise to create millions of jobs in the technology space, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration has proposed November 2023 to launch the $617.7 million Investment in Digital and Creative Enterprises (i-DICE) programme.
To ensure this unfolds into a reality, Vice President Kashim Shettima has given marching orders to members of the i-DICE Steering Committee, tasking them to make sure the programme starts before the end of November this year.
The VP gave the directive on Friday when the i-DICE team gave him an update on the progress made so far during a meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
At the meeting, Sen. Shettima emphasised the importance of the initiative to Federal Government’s digital jobs drive, saying the administration is keen on delivering on its promises to Nigerians.
Accordingly, he urged all partners in the i-DICE programme to ensure judicious utilisation of the funds, noting that the $617.7 million scheme could be a game changer.
The Vice President stated: “The peculiarity of the challenges we face in the country demands that we have to create jobs for our teeming youths to address the crises associated with youth unemployment. I want to appeal to all of us here to unite and see that this programme takes off latest by the end of November this year.
“I am interested in getting a weekly update on what is being done to kick-start this programme. We also need to spread out to cover the whole country so that there is inclusivity. If we judiciously utilise these funds, the target impact and anticipated benefits will be immense.
“I want to assure the technical committee, all those working on this programme and our international partners, that you will get all the support that you will need. We mean business. My boss, President Bola Tinubu, is passionate about the transformation of this country. So, you have nothing to worry about the government’s support”.
Speaking with State House correspondents shortly after the meeting, Minister of Finance, Mr Wale Edun described the project as “very key to the promise of His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, particularly to the youth, for the creation of 1.2 million digital jobs.
“This $617 million project will go a long way to achieving the President’s priorities on job creation and economic growth, particularly inclusivity. One of the major elements is going to have 50% participation by women,” he added.
On his part, Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Mr Bosun Tijjani, said the scheme is a unique opportunity.
He noted: “The Nigerian technology and creative ecosystem has been doing well and is the best on the continent. We actually want to be a leader globally. And there’s no other way to do that than investing in the technology startups that are building these solutions.
“So, the government is putting its skin in the game to say ‘we want to support; we want to see more local confidence building’. And there’s no other way to show that than by putting money in some of the startups.”
For his part, the Managing Director of the Bank of Industry, Mr Kayode Pitan, hinted that the Vice President gave them marching orders to start by next month.
He said, “The Investment in Digital and Creative Enterprises (i-DICE) Programme programme is actually a $617 million programme. The funding has been concluded with African Development Bank (AfDB), the French Development Agency (AFD) and the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB).
“BOI (Bank Of Industry) also will put in some part of that funding. It will cover the digital area, the creative area and entertainment area, especially the areas that the youth are interested in. So, this is actually for the youths – people below 35. We have some grants, we have some loans. There’s some equity, and for the startups, government is hoping that some new unicorns are going to emerge from this particular programme”.
Also present at the meeting were the Ministers of Science and Technology Innovation, Mr Uche Nnaji; Industry Trade and Investment, Dr. Doris Uzoka-Anite; Arts, Culture and Creative Economy, Hajiya Hannatu Musawa, among others.
FG TO LAUNCH $617M INVESTMENT IN DIGITAL, CREATIVE ENTERPRISES PROGRAMME
News
Zulum Visits Uba, Chibok Communities, Vows Rescue of Abducted Schoolchildren
Zulum Visits Uba, Chibok Communities, Vows Rescue of Abducted Schoolchildren
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, on Tuesday visited Uba town to sympathise with parents of schoolchildren recently abducted in Mussa community, assuring residents that all efforts were being intensified to secure the safe release of the victims.
Governor Zulum, who has consistently visited communities affected by insecurity to console victims and assess the situation firsthand, met with parents of the abducted children at the palace of the Emir of Uba.
Addressing the gathering, the governor conveyed his heartfelt sympathy to the Emir, the parents of the abducted children and the entire people of the Uba Emirate over the unfortunate incident.
“I want to convey my deepest sympathy to the Emir of Uba, parents of the abducted children and the entire people of Uba Emirate over the recent unfortunate incident,” Zulum stated.
“Let me assure you that the Federal Government under the distinguished leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian Armed Forces and Borno State Government will do everything possible to secure the release of the children,” he assured.
The governor commended the military and other security agencies for taking proactive measures to prevent further deterioration of the security situation in the area.
He disclosed that the Brigade Commander, Commanding Officer, Divisional Police Officer and other heads of security establishments had already been deployed to strengthen security and facilitate the safe return of the abducted children.
Governor Zulum also pledged to fortify security in Askira, Uba and adjoining communities to prevent a recurrence of similar incidents.
“We have made frantic efforts to stabilize Askira, Uba and adjoining communities through reinforcing security in these areas,” he said.
The governor appealed to the abductors to release the innocent children, noting that they were minors who required the care and protection of their parents.
He further called on residents of the Uba Emirate and the entire people of Borno State to intensify prayers, especially during the first 10 days of the holy month of Dhul Hijjah.
Speaking during the visit, the Emir of Uba, Alhaji Ali Ibn Isma’ila Mamza II revealed that the incident occurred on Friday, 15 May, when 48 persons were abducted in Mussa community, including 37 primary school pupils, six secondary school students and five other residents.
The monarch commended Governor Zulum for his unwavering commitment to addressing insecurity, uniting the people of the state and supporting the emirate.
Also speaking, a representative of the Mussa community, Dr. Chinapi Amanja, appreciated the governor for the visit and acknowledged the deployment of senior military officers and other security personnel to the area.
…Zulum Condoles Chibok Communities
In a related development, Governor Zulum also visited Chibok town to commiserate with communities affected by recent attacks in parts of Chibok Local Government Area.
Addressing district heads, village heads, council members and other stakeholders, the governor said he was deeply saddened by the attacks, which claimed several lives and left many others injured.
“I purposely came to Chibok to sympathize with you over the recent attacks in some parts of the local government which claimed many lives and left others injured,” Zulum said.
“I want to assure you that the Federal Government, Nigerian Armed Forces and the Borno State Government will do everything possible to avert the recurrence of such incidents,” he added.
The governor urged residents to remain calm and law-abiding, assuring them that government was making concerted efforts to restore normalcy in the area through the deployment of additional troops.
He also prayed for the repose of the souls of those who lost their lives and asked God to grant their families the fortitude to bear the loss.
Speaking on behalf of the affected communities, the District Head of Garu, Engr. Zannah Madu, appreciated the governor for the visit and for the continued government intervention in addressing security challenges in the area.
Governor Zulum was accompanied on the visits by the member representing Chibok/Damboa/Gwoza Federal Constituency, Hon. Ahmed Jaha; Acting Chief of Staff to the Governor, Dr. Babagana Mustapha Malumbe; Commissioner for Information and Internal Security, Professor Usman Tar; Permanent Secretary, Government House and Security, Barrister Mustapha Busuguma; Special Adviser on Monitoring, Engr. Baba Bukar Gujbawu; and Special Adviser on Media, Dauda Iliya.
Zulum Visits Uba, Chibok Communities, Vows Rescue of Abducted Schoolchildren
News
Rainy season: NEMA strengthens disaster preparedness, community resilience in Gombe
Rainy season: NEMA strengthens disaster preparedness, community resilience in Gombe
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Monday engaged relevant stakeholders in Gombe State on the National Preparedness and Response Campaign (NPRC) 2026.
This is part of ongoing nationwide efforts aimed at strengthening disaster preparedness and community resilience across the state and country.
In her keynote address, the Director General NEMA, Mrs. Zubaida Abubakar Umar represented by the North-East Zonal Director of NEMA, Mr Suleiman Yakubu stated that the campaign was designed to drive early and coordinated action to protect lives and livelihoods during this year’s rainy season.
Also speaking at the engagement, the Head of NEMA Gombe Operations Office, Hajia Ummuna Ahmed, commended the community members and stakeholders for their cooperation and commitment toward disaster preparedness.
Ahmed stressed the importance of early warning information, community participation, and proactive measures in reducing the impact of disasters on lives and livelihoods.
In his presentation on Disaster Risk Reduction Measures, Dr Terungwa Igue specified the various sectorial roles in reducing risks associated with floods.
Igue assured stakeholders of NEMA’s continued commitment to strengthening preparedness initiatives, enhancing public awareness, and promoting safer and more resilient communities across Gombe State.
The engagement further demonstrated the shared commitment of all stakeholders toward fostering safer, better informed, and disaster resilient communities throughout the state.
The team carried out extensive community sensitisation and engagement activities in Wuro Juli Community in Akko LGA of Gombe State.
The sensitisation continued on Tuesday at Yamaltu Emirate in Yamaltu Deba LGA where the Emir of Yamaltu, Alhaji Abubakar Aliyu appreciated NEMA for always coming to sensitise them and charged all the 14 Hakimis who represented 14 villages to take the messages to their domain.
The community engagement exercise focused on enhancing disaster preparedness, promoting early warning awareness, and building community resilience against potential hazards and emergencies, particularly flood related.
The exercise was conducted in collaboration with the Gombe State Emergency Management Agency (GOSEMA), Local Emergency Management Committees (LEMCs), and community leaders, whose active participation and support contributed immensely to the success of the campaign.
The collaboration further reinforced the collective commitment toward disaster risk reduction and effective emergency response at the grassroots level.
Rainy season: NEMA strengthens disaster preparedness, community resilience in Gombe
News
NESREA Shuts Kano Rice Plant Over Environmental Violations
NESREA Shuts Kano Rice Plant Over Environmental Violations
By: Michael Mike
The National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA) has sealed off a rice processing facility in Kano State, Fortune Rice Mills Limited, over alleged violations of environmental regulations relating to air pollution and offensive emissions.
The enforcement action, carried out on Monday, was led by the agency’s North-West Zonal Director, Dr. Mudashiru Raheem, following investigations into public complaints against the company.

According to NESREA, residents had raised concerns over persistent dust emissions and offensive odour emanating from the facility despite earlier compliance notices issued to the company.
The agency said investigations established that the rice mill violated provisions of the National Environmental (Air Quality Control) Regulations 2014 as well as the National Environmental (Food, Beverages and Tobacco Sector) Regulations 2023, prompting the sealing of the plant.
Director-General of National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency, Innocent Barikor, who authorised the shutdown, condemned what he described as the “reckless attitude” of some industrial facilities towards public health and environmental safety.
Barikor stressed that economic interests must not come at the expense of citizens’ wellbeing and environmental sustainability, warning that the agency would continue to enforce compliance with environmental laws across the country.
“The health of citizens and the environment must not be sacrificed on the altar of economic gain,” he said.
He also called on Nigerians to take greater responsibility for environmental protection by reporting environmental infractions and pollution incidents to the agency for prompt action.
The latest enforcement underscores renewed regulatory scrutiny on industrial operators amid growing concerns over environmental pollution and public health risks in several parts of the country.
NESREA Shuts Kano Rice Plant Over Environmental Violations
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
