Connect with us

News

FG, UNICEF commend Gombe’s efforts to eliminate NTDs

Published

on

FG, UNICEF commend Gombe’s efforts to eliminate NTDs

The Federal Government and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Bauchi Field Office have commended Gombe State’s efforts to eliminate Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs).

They gave the commendation on Tuesday in Gombe during a media dialogue on NTDs elimination organised to assess progress in the state.

Hajiya Hawau Abubakar, North-East Zonal Coordinator for NTDs, Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, said “significant progress” had been made towards ending NTDs in Gombe.

Abubakar said the state’s commitment, supported by the Federal Government and development partners, was enhancing the health and wellbeing of the people across Gombe State.

She stressed that achieving NTD-free status would positively impact the wellbeing of residents, especially children, and improve the economic fortunes of the state.

Abubakar urged the government, media, and stakeholders to sustain the momentum, expressing optimism that the state could be free of NTDs before 2030.

Dr Nuzhat Rafique, Chief of Field Office, UNICEF Bauchi, also praised Gombe State for the progress made so far in eliminating NTDs across communities.

Rafique said the state’s commitment to providing counterpart funding for NTD elimination activities was already yielding positive results in several localities.

She explained that Gombe State was close to the “breakpoint” where widespread preventive treatment could halt further circulation of the diseases within communities.

According to her, achieving that stage would mark a major success in the fight against NTDs in the state and across the region.

“The progress so far is encouraging, but we must continue investing resources wisely to eliminate NTDs and protect children and women,” she said.

Rafique, however, said more effort was required to completely eliminate the diseases due to their severe impact on children and society.

She called for an integrated approach, using community-based mobilisation to promote hygiene, sanitation, and access to clean water in the state.

She also urged residents to prevent infection by avoiding contact with flies and mosquitoes that spread the diseases.

Commending the media’s role, Rafique described journalists as “the main game changers” in raising awareness and driving positive behavioural change.

Dr Musa Abdullahi, Director of Disease Control and Immunisation, Gombe State Primary Health Care Development Agency, said most local governments were now NTD-free.

Abdullahi said all LGAs, except Akko and Kwami, had been declared free of NTDs, thanks to the collaboration with the Federal Government, UNICEF, and other partners.

He commended the continued partnership, noting that it had significantly improved the health and wellbeing of Gombe residents.

FG, UNICEF commend Gombe’s efforts to eliminate NTDs

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police officer dies, 17 injured in auto crash along Potiskum–Bauchi road

Published

on

Police officer dies, 17 injured in auto crash along Potiskum–Bauchi road

By: Zagazola Makama

A senior police officer has died while 17 other passengers sustained injuries following a road accident along the Potiskum–Bauchi highway in Yobe State.

Sources said the crash occurred at about 3:15 p.m. on Feb. 21 near the bye-pass roundabout area of PKM on the outskirts of Potiskum.

The vehicle, a Toyota Hummer Bus belonging to Borno Express and conveying 18 passengers from Kaduna to Maiduguri, reportedly lost control after the rear tyre rim on the passenger side suddenly detached.

According to the sources , the driver veered off the road into a bush, resulting in fatal and multiple injuries.

One of the passengers, ACP Abubakar Ibrahim Balteh, 45, attached to the Borno State Police Command, sustained a severe head injury and died on the spot.

Two male and two female passengers escaped unhurt, while 13 others suffered serious injuries of varying degrees.

The injured victims and the deceased were evacuated to the General Hospital Potiskum for treatment and autopsy.

Police officer dies, 17 injured in auto crash along Potiskum–Bauchi road

Continue Reading

News

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA humiliate Lakurawa terrorists

Published

on

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA humiliate Lakurawa terrorists

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA have neutralised several of suspected Lakurawa terrorist elements following a failed attack on Dadinkowa community in Kebbi State.

Local intelligence sources said the armed group attempted to raid a local market in the early hours of Sunday and blocked a major access road into the community to facilitate the operation.

The sources disclosed that security forces responded swiftly after receiving distress alerts and engaged the attackers in a fierce gun battle, forcing them to retreat.

According to the sources, several of the assailants were neutralised during the encounter, while others escaped with suspected gunshot wounds.

The attempted market raid was successfully foiled, preventing potential civilian casualties and destruction of property.

Troops have since intensified patrols and clearance operations around Dadinkowa and adjoining areas to track fleeing elements and stabilise the security environment.

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA humiliate Lakurawa terrorists

Continue Reading

News

One killed as suspected IPOB/ESN militants attack Ogbakoba Market in Anambra

Published

on

One killed as suspected IPOB/ESN militants attack Ogbakoba Market in Anambra

By: Zagazola Makama

A 15-year-old boy was killed while security operatives repelled an attack by suspected members of the proscribed IPOB/ESN militia at Ogbakoba Market Arena in Anambra State.

Sources said the incident occurred on Feb. 21 at about 1:40 p.m., when a group of armed hoodlums emerged from a dense forest camp at Amiyi and opened sporadic fire at market-goers, apparently attempting to kidnap or rob residents.

A joint task force patrol team stationed at Amiyi responded swiftly, engaging the attackers in a fierce gun duel that forced them to retreat into the forest with bullet wounds. The injured boy was rushed to the village hospital but was confirmed dead on arrival. His body was deposited in the morgue for autopsy and preservation.

The sources added that later the same day at about 8:30 p.m., the armed group resurfaced near the community, snatching a shuttle bus with registration number HAL 987 XA and a GSM phone belonging to one Mr. Kinsley Iwunze of Okpotuno Odekpe, Ogbaru LGA.

Security operatives immediately dispatched teams to the scene, but the hoodlums had fled. Authorities said an aggressive manhunt was ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspects.

One killed as suspected IPOB/ESN militants attack Ogbakoba Market in Anambra

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights