News
FIFA launches service to protect World Cup players from online abuse
FIFA launches service to protect World Cup players from online abuse
FIFA has launched a new service to crack down on hate speech and discrimination online during the World Cup, the sport’s governing body announced.
The service will protect more than 830 World Cup players from abuse on social media during the Qatar tournament.
“FIFA is committed to provide the best possible conditions for players to perform to the best of their abilities,” FIFA president Gianni Infantino said in the Wednesday statement.
“At the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, we are happy to launch a service that will help to protect players from the damaging effects that social media posts can cause to their mental health and well-being.”
David Aganzo, the president of FIFPRO said it was football’s responsibility to protect players.
“This type of abuse has a profound impact on their personalities, their families, performance as well as on their overall well-being and mental health,” he said.
“We hope that the social media protection service provides a starting point to help to defend participants from abusive messages,“he said.
He also urged the social media companies to join and support the football governing body in tackling the issue at the FIFA World Cup.”
FIFA will monitor the social media accounts of all participants at the World Cup, scanning for abusive, discriminatory and threatening comments and then reporting them to social networks and law authorities.
Teams, players and other individual participants will also be able to opt-in to a moderation service that will instantly hide abusive and offensive comments on social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
News
Troops rescue five kidnap victims, repel attack on commuters near enugu
Troops rescue five kidnap victims, repel attack on commuters near enugu
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops deployed at 9th Mile in Enugu State have rescued five kidnapped victims after repelling an attack on commuters by suspected armed criminals.
Security sources said the incident occurred at about 6:55 p.m. on Feb. 20 when the troops responded to a distress call indicating that assailants had attacked travellers heading towards Anambra State.

On arrival at the scene, the troops engaged the attackers in a gun duel, forcing them to abandon the victims and flee into nearby surroundings.

The sources disclosed that five kidnapped persons were successfully rescued during the operation, while the vehicle used by the victims was also recovered.
It was gathered that the troops expended 11 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition during the encounter.

Security authorities said patrols had been intensified in the area to deny the criminals freedom of action and to forestall further attacks on commuters.
They added that the situation was under control, while surveillance and domination patrols were ongoing.
Troops rescue five kidnap victims, repel attack on commuters near enugu
News
Zulum meets 56 state-sponsored doctors, approves training fund, others
Zulum meets 56 state-sponsored doctors, approves training fund, others
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has approved a special training fund for the 56 medical doctors currently undergoing residency training under the state’s sponsorship.
The governor granted the approval during an interactive meeting with the resident doctors at the Government House in Maiduguri on Thursday.

The meeting was convened at the governor’s instance to assess the progress of the doctors’ training and address any challenges hindering their seamless progression in their various places of primary assignments.
Beyond approving the training fund, Zulum also approved the immediate implementation of promotional benefits for all resident doctors due for career progression.
He directed that the promotions be implemented with immediate effect and that all arrears be paid to the beneficiaries, dating back to the effective date of their promotions.
The governor also directed the Borno State Hospital Management Board to organise a similar interaction with other medical doctors in the state who are not undergoing residency training.

He reiterated that the welfare of all health workers in the state remained a top priority for his administration, stressing that a motivated workforce is essential for delivering quality healthcare services to the people of Borno.
“My administration is committed to creating an enabling environment for our health professionals. We understand that without their dedication, we cannot achieve the needed health coverage we desire for our citizens,” the governor stated.
The meeting was attended by key stakeholders in the health sector, including the Commissioner for Health, Professor Baba Mallam Gana; the chairman of the State Hospital Management Board, Dr Joseph Jatau; and the Chief Medical Director, Professor Abubakar Kullima.

Also in attendance were the acting Chief of Staff, Dr Babagana Mustapha Mallumbe; the Chief Adviser to the Governor, Dr Mairo Mandara, the Executive Director, Borno State Primary Healthcare Development Board, Professor Arab Alhaji Mohammed and the Chief Medical Director of the Kashim Ibrahim University Teaching Hospital, Prof. Ibrahim Musa Kida.
Zulum meets 56 state-sponsored doctors, approves training fund, others
News
Ebizi Unreliable, Adulterous Conduct Modelling Around Lokpobiri Over Deputy Office – Kolga Group Alleges
Ebizi Unreliable, Adulterous Conduct Modelling Around Lokpobiri Over Deputy Office – Kolga Group Alleges
The Kolga Youth Progressive Alliance has raised perturbing concerns of Mrs Ebizi Brown Ndiomu, member representing Sagbama Constituency || desperateness for consideration as Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State.
The state lawmaker rumoured for possible nomination, consideration for the replacement of the departed deputy governor, has been modelling around the Honorable Minister of State for Petroleum Resources (Oil), Senator Heineken Lokpobiri in Abuja.
A statement issued on Friday by the group spokesman, Comrade Tony Alazigha, the group described Mrs Ebizi Brown adulterous demeanor to be ascribed as desperate measures for consideration, and replacement of the departed deputy governor.
According to the group, Ebizi who shares a good working relationship with the Governor, Senator Douye Diri had ought to concentrate on the established relationship with the governor rather than adulterously running around Heineken Lokpobiri.
The adulterous, scandalous conduct of the honorable member modelling around politicians for consideration of the office of the deputy governor, will dent the image and reputation of the governor and the government.
The group spokesman demanding the general public to be watchful, stated that Kolga leaders who are relations to Mrs Ebizi Brown, are the people desperately pushing for the nomination of the lawmaker to deputize the Governor, Senator Diri.
He said the Kolga leaders pushing for Mrs Ebizi nomination as deputy, are leaders whom Governor Douye Diri has munificently made billions, but not satisfied because they want to control the government, and the leadership structure of the state.
The group cautioned Senator Douye Diri to dismiss the consideration of the Sagbama lawmaker for the replacement of the departed deputy governor, Mr Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo.
“The office of the deputy governor demands capacitated individual of reliability, trustworthy, hardworking, resourcefulness, competence, and not adulterous character displayed by the lawmaker from Sagbama.
“Is it the honorable minister working for governorship ambition that will nominate her or the governor whom she share good working relationship.
“Even in Sagbama local government area, there more competent, reliable individuals working closely with the governor that are worthy to deputize Governor Diri, and definitely not adulterous, unreliable Ebizi Brown.
The group urged Senator Diri to look inward in Sagbama for competent, dependable, trustworthy individual that will prioritize Bayelsans before personal interest to deputize him.
Ebizi Unreliable, Adulterous Conduct Modelling Around Lokpobiri Over Deputy Office – Kolga Group Alleges
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
