Northeast
Flooding: Borno Sets Up Assessment Team, to Support Victims
Flooding: Borno Sets Up Assessment Team, to Support Victims
By: Michael Mike
Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum has set up an assessment team to ascertaining extent of damages of flood in the state and recommend support.
Devastating flood has destroyed some buildings in part of the state and washed away farm produce.
The governor made the governor apparently disturbed by the devastation, appointed the Deputy Governor, Umar Kadafur to lead the team with the task of visiting affected areas, assess the level of damages and propose support to the victims.
Zulum announced the measure on Tuesday after assessing a vegetable market at Moro Moro, a community around Customs area in Maiduguri, which has been ravaged by flooding.
The Governor, while commiserating with the flood victims across the State, said: “We are once again visited by this unfortunate flooding which has affected communities not only in Maiduguri but in some Local Government Areas. Insha’Allah, the Deputy Governor, His Excellency, Umar Usman Kadafur will be heading an assessment team that will visit all affected communities in all the Local Government Areas that have been affected, with a view to determining extent of damages, and identify victims for the purpose of intervention by the State Government.”
The Governor also spoke on problems associated with blocking of water ways, lamenting that more than 1,000 houses have been illegally built on routes that ought to be water channels and as a result, forcing water to pass through communities and cause destructions.
Zulum said the State Government will provide temporary measures for now but after the rainy season, there will be need for permanent measures that may require resettling shelters currently located on water ways, after coming with a consultative approach.
Also Read: Ember Months: FRSC warns against night travel in Ogun
The Governor had in July this year, visited communities affected by flooding in Damboa and offered them support.
Zulum had two weeks ago, also sent out a Committee headed by Barrister Kaka Shehu Lawan, APC’s candidate for Borno Central Senatorial election in 2023, and former Attorney General and Commissioner of Justice, who had overseen Borno’s Ministry of Environment at different occasions, hence familiar with matters of flooding and controlling it.
Lawan’s Committee was at some communities affected by flooding in Maiduguri, to assess damages.
Governor Zulum has since 2019 established the Borno State Geographic Information System and also enhanced the capacity of the State Urban Planning and Development Board which works with relevant Ministries to among other things, take measures that will address perennial flooding across the State, especially in Maiduguri, which is the most populated with the highest number of residential houses.
The establishments have been putting measures which have so far reduced flooding in some communities with more being targets in their works in progress.
Flooding: Borno Sets Up Assessment Team, to Support Victims
News
Zulum: Borno Will Deliver Tinubu, APC Candidates in 2027 Elections
Zulum: Borno Will Deliver Tinubu, APC Candidates in 2027 Elections
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has reaffirmed the commitment of the people of the state to support President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and all candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the forthcoming 2027 general elections.
Governor Zulum made the commitment on Monday during the All Progressives Congress, APC, Senatorial District Primary Election for Borno Central, in Maiduguri.
The governor also commended President Tinubu for choosing Senator Kashim Shettima as Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, describing the decision as a great honor to the people of the state.
“Let me begin by extending a profound appreciation to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, for all the support that he has been rendering to our great party and indeed the government and people of the state and for him to choose one of our own, Senator Kashim Shettima, as the Vice President, we remain eternally grateful to him,” Zulum stated.
He assured the President of overwhelming support from Borno State ahead of the next presidential election.
“Insha Allah, the people of Borno State will vote for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for a second term,” the governor declared.
Zulum also endorsed Senator Kaka Shehu Lawan for another term as Senator representing Borno Central Senatorial District in 2027.
“Today, it has been affirmed that Senator Kaka Shehu Lawan will return as Senator for Borno Central come 2027, Insha Allah,” he said.
The governor called on party supporters and the electorate to remain united and to support APC candidates at all levels.
Chairman of Borno State Senatorial District Primary Elections Committee, Jones Ode Erue, hailed the rancor-free process of all the primary elections conducted in the state.
He commended Governor Babagana Umara Zulum for providing a level playing field and ensuring the exercise was conducted smoothly.
According to him, since the candidate for Borno Central senatorial district, Senator Kaka Shehu Lawan, is unopposed, his candidacy was affirmed by voice vote.
“We have a single candidate, so what we will do is affirmation in compliance with the electoral Act and the APC Constitution,” Esue said.
“By the powers vested in me as Chairman of Borno State Senatorial District Primary Election Committee, I,
Prophet Jones Ode Erue, hereby declare, affirm, and present Senator Kaka Shehu Lawan, having satisfied the constitution of the APC, as the duly returned candidate for Borno Central District,” he declared.
Senator representing Borno Central and APC Senatorial candidate, Senator Kaka Shehu Lawan, SAN, accepted the party’s candidacy and promised his constituents that he would serve diligently.
He thanked Governor Babagana Umara Zulum for the tremendous support and for allowing him to be the party’s sole candidate.
“I hereby accept the candidacy bestowed on me by the party and promised to serve my constituents without affection or ill will,” Kaka Shehu stated.
Officials from INEC and the Security Agencies monitored the exercise.
The event was attended by the APC Deputy National Chairman North, Hon. Ali Bukar Dalori; serving and newly elected candidates for the House of Representatives; the APC state chairman; APC National and State officials; the Secretary to the State Government; the Acting Chief of Staff; Commissioners; and other senior government officials.
Zulum: Borno Will Deliver Tinubu, APC Candidates in 2027 Elections
News
Zulum: Consensus Remains Preferred Option for APC Primaries in Borno
Zulum: Consensus Remains Preferred Option for APC Primaries in Borno
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, has called on aspirants seeking various elective positions under the All Progressives Congress (APC) and party stakeholders to adopt consensus as the preferred mode for candidate emergence ahead of the party primaries.
The APC primary elections are scheduled to commence on Friday, 15 May, with the House of Representatives primaries and climax on Saturday, 23 May, with the presidential primaries.
Governor Zulum made the call on Thursday during a critical stakeholders’ meeting held at the Multipurpose Hall of the Government House in Maiduguri, stressing that consensus remains the most viable option for strengthening party unity.

“Let me start by appreciating all our stakeholders for the support and commitment to advancing the course of our great party, APC, and our administration,” Zulum said.
“As we prepare for the party primaries, which will commence on Friday, I want to remind all our aspirants contesting various elective positions that consensus is the best and most viable option for the party in our state. However, if we are unable to arrive at a consensus, we will go for direct primaries,” he added.
The governor further emphasized his commitment to democratic principles, assuring stakeholders that no candidate would be imposed on any constituency.

“As a democrat, I will not force any candidate on a particular constituency, but rather encourage us to continue consultations with stakeholders for consensus candidates to emerge,” Zulum stated.
He urged aspirants to reflect on the past, project better opportunities in the future and maintain party loyalty, noting that those who may not secure tickets in the 2027 elections could still have chances ahead.
Governor Zulum also announced that aspirants who voluntarily withdraw from contests would be considered for appointments and other opportunities at both the federal and state levels.
To facilitate consultations across the state, the governor constituted zonal consultative committees headed by the Deputy Governor, Umar Usman Kadafur, for the Southern Zone; APC Deputy National Chairman (North), Ali Bukar Dalori, for the Central Zone; and Senator Mohammed Tahir Monguno for the Northern Zone.
Governor Zulum also formally presented the APC consensus governorship candidate, Mustapha Gubio, to stakeholders, fulfilling the promise he made during the high-level stakeholders’ meeting held on 25 April.
APC Deputy National Chairman, Hon Ali Bukar Dalori, and State Chairman of the Party, Hon. Bello Ayuba, all re-echo the need for consensus as the means of primary election in the state.
They emphasized that consensus will strengthen party cohesion and unity in the run-up to the 2027 general elections.
The meeting was attended by prominent personalities, including Deputy Governor Umar Usman Kadafur, the APC consensus Gubernatorial candidate, Engr Mustapha Gubio, APC Deputy National Chairman (North), Hon. Ali Bukar Dalori, Former Governor, Senator Maina Ma’aji Lawan, Senators Mohammed Tahir Monguno, Mohammed Ali Ndume, and Kaka Shehu Lawan SAN, serving and former members of the House of Representatives, APC state chairman, former Nigerian Ambassador to China, Amb. Baba Ahmed Jidda, Speaker, Borno State House of Assembly, and other members of the House.

Others include the Secretary to the state government, the acting Chief of Staff, the Commissioner’s designate, Special Advisers, Local Government Chairmen, APC party executives, and other stakeholders.
Zulum: Consensus Remains Preferred Option for APC Primaries in Borno
News
Zulum elated by Tinubu’s approval of 3 federal institutions for Borno in 3 years
Zulum elated by Tinubu’s approval of 3 federal institutions for Borno in 3 years
.. Says Borno will reciprocate the gesture in 2027
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for approving three major federal institutions for the state within three years of assuming office.
Zulum made the commendation on Sunday in Bama, shortly after a sympathy visit to residents affected by a devastating windstorm that struck part of the town last week.
Zulum specifically noted that since President Tinubu took office, he has approved the take-off of three vital federal institutions, including the Federal College of Education, Gwoza; the National Orthopaedic Hospital, Azare; and the Federal University of Agriculture and Entrepreneurship, Bama.
He expressed delight that the institutions would directly transform the lives of the people of Borno through job creation, improved access to quality education, and specialised healthcare delivery.
Zulum commended President Tinubu for his sustained attention to Borno’s recovery and development needs, noting that the three federal institutions would significantly accelerate post-insurgency reconstruction and economic revitalisation.
“I want to draw your attention to the establishment of the Federal University of Agriculture and Entrepreneurship, Bama, by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, just two days ago.
“The pioneer principal officers were appointed. This is a remarkable achievement, and we want to hail the President for what he has done.”
“The take-off of the Federal College of Education, Gwoza, and the National Orthopaedic Hospital, Azare, was achieved under the administration of President Tinubu; therefore, I want to commend him and assure him that the people of Borno State will reciprocate the kind gesture at the appropriate time.”
Zulum had last year announced the handover of Umar Ibn Ibrahim El-Kanemi College of Education, Science, and Technology, Bama, for the immediate commencement of academic activities at the newly established Federal University of Agriculture and Entrepreneurship, Bama. The Governor also approved one billion naira for the immediate take-off of the University.
The Governor has consistently offered similar support to the Federal Polytechnic, Monguno; Federal College of Education, Gwoza; and National Orthopaedic Hospital, Azare, approving over N5 billion to facilitate a seamless take-off.
The Governor also inspected ongoing construction work for the 19 Brigade headquarters in Bama, underscoring his administration’s determination to consolidate security gains and restore full civil authority around the Bama general area.
Zulum elated by Tinubu’s approval of 3 federal institutions for Borno in 3 years
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
