Connect with us

News

Former President Koroma of Sierra Leone gets asylum in Nigeria on medical treatment

Published

on

Former President Koroma of Sierra Leone gets asylum in Nigeria on medical treatment

By: Bodunrin Kayode

Former President Ernest Koroma of Sierra Leone arrived in Abuja on Friday for medical treatment which may ultimately culminate into an asylum.

Koroma who was fingered in a recent failed coup in Freetown was released from house arrest after a court in Freetown permitted him to travel to Nigeria to seek medical treatment for three months.

The Former President was arrested and charged with treason, with others now in custody and was equally slammed with two counts charges of harbouring suspects believed to be involved in the botched attempt to over throw President Mada Bio.

He was later granted bail on the condition that he could not leave his house except permitted by the Inspector-General of Police.

The Former President flew to Nigeria aboard a Nigerian Air Force plane and was received by the National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu and the President of the Economic Community of West Africa States (ECOWAS) Omar Touray.

Koroma finally arrived Nigeria Friday with his entire family after series of meetings within the ECOWAS and Nigeria and an agreement that he will move to Abuja if all the charges against him were dropped.

Sources within the ECOWAS said the sub-regional bloc (ECOWAS) had quietly arranged an agreement for the former President to go into exile in Nigeria if the charges were dropped.

Notice of demand for the ex President by ECOWAS

Sierra Leone’s foreign minister, Tim Kabba had confirmed receipt of a letter written by the President of the ECOWAS Commission detailing arrangements to allow for the temporary relocation/exile of former President Ernest Bai Koroma who has been facing treason charges.

Kabbah said that his government did not however countenance the content of the said letter “because it is a unilateral proposition by the President of the ECOWAS Commission”.

Under the terms of the letter, Koroma was to be flown to Nigeria on 4 January with all legal and administrative procedures against him dropped, keeping his full entitlement as a former President.

Koroma a veteran insurance broker widely seen as the economic messiah of the corporate world was the first minority President of Sierra Leone who served for 11 years after winning in a landslide elections.

Koroma won 54% of the popular votes under the banner of the All Peoples Congress (APC) beating Solomon Barewa of the Sierra Leone Peoples Party (SLPP) to become the 4th President of the country in 2007, coming green from the corporate world.

He was succeeded by the current President Julius Maada Bio who has had several security and economic challenges since assumption of office trying to stabilize the country which is still struggling from the scars of a brutal Civil war suffered by the small west African country.

Former President Koroma of Sierra Leone gets asylum in Nigeria on medical treatment

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.

The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.

Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.

Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights