Crime
Former president of Burkina Faso, Compaore gets life imprisonment

Former president of Burkina Faso Compaore gets life imprisonment
A military tribunal on Wednesday ruled that Burkina Faso’s former president Blaise Compaore be sentenced to life imprisonment for complicity in the 1987 murder of his predecessor Thomas Sankara in a coup.
The charismatic Marxist revolutionary Sankara was gunned down in the West African nation’s capital Ouagadougou at the age of 37, four years after he took power in a previous putsch.
Compaore was charged in absentia along with his former Head of Security, Hyacinthe Kafando, who was also sentenced to life imprisonment.
Both have previously denied any involvement in Sankara’s death along with 12 other defendants accused of involvement in the plot, three of whom were declared innocent on Wednesday.
“The court finds Blaise Compaoré and Hyacinthe Kafando guilty of attack on state security, complicity in murder and concealment of a corpse,” the tribunal said in its ruling.
READ ALSO: Zimbabwean Central Bank To Introduce $100 Note
Compaore went on to rule for 27 years before being ousted in another coup in 2014 and fleeing to Ivory Coast, where he is still believed to live.
Fondly known as Africa’s “Che Guevara”, Sankara took power on a promise to thwart corruption and post-colonial influences, denouncing foreign aid as a control mechanism.
He rolled out mass vaccination against polio, banned female circumcision and polygamy, and was one of the first African leaders to publicly recognise the growing AIDS epidemic as a threat for the continent.
A former fighter pilot, Sankara won public support in the impoverished nation by selling a government fleet of Mercedes, lowering the pay of well-off public servants and forbidding first class state travel.
He cut his own salary, refused to work with air conditioning and jogged through Ouagadougou unaccompanied.
Critics said his reforms curtailed freedoms and did little to enrich ordinary people. But admiration remains.
Over the weekend, students gathered around white flowers marking the spot where Sankara was shot.
(Reuters/NAN)
Crime
Police Arrest Four Suspected Kidnappers, Rescue Four Victims in Lagos-Ogun Border

Police Arrest Four Suspected Kidnappers, Rescue Four Victims in Lagos-Ogun Border
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested four suspected kidnappers and rescued four victims held in captivity at Oke Aro, a border community between Lagos and Ogun states.
Police sources confirmed that one of the victims, Okorie Henry, managed to escape and reported the case at the Iju Police Division at about 3:30 p.m. on March 31. Henry told the police that he and four others had been forcefully taken into custody by a group of armed hoodlums.
He was able to convince his captors that he had received money in his account and needed to withdraw it at a bank. During the trip, he fled and alerted the authorities.
Following his report, a police team was mobilized to the scene, leading to the rescue of four victims: Otoh Chisom (20), Okeke Kwufrochukwu (26), Uchenna Obeji (26), and Minachi Udochukwu (12).
The police also arrested four suspects identified as Chibike Iheijika (23), Stanley Iheijika (22), Obiora Oyedibe (26), and Emmanuel Onedibe (25).
The command said investigations are ongoing to apprehend other accomplices and determine the full extent of the criminal operation.
Police Arrest Four Suspected Kidnappers, Rescue Four Victims in Lagos-Ogun Border
Crime
Sokoto: Armed Bandits Repelled; Stray Bullet Kills Villager

Sokoto: Armed Bandits Repelled; Stray Bullet Kills Villager
By: Zagazola Makama
A group of approximately 90 armed bandits, riding on motorcycles, attempted to attack Tozai village in Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State on March 31, 2025.
The bandits were confronted by a combined team of Military and Police forces, which engaged them in a gunfight, forcing the assailants to retreat.
Unfortunately, during the exchange of fire, a stray bullet from the bandits struck 35-year-old Sule Ummaru, a resident of Tozai village, who was attempting to escape the scene. He was rushed to General Hospital Isa but later succumbed to his injuries while receiving treatment.
Security forces have continued patrols in the area to ensure further safety and deter any future attacks.
Sokoto: Armed Bandits Repelled; Stray Bullet Kills Villager
Crime
Businessman Arrested Over Illicit Drug Shipments from US into Nigeria

Businessman Arrested Over Illicit Drug Shipments from US into Nigeria
By: Michael Mike
Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, have arrested a Lekki-based businessman and proprietor of Damillionz Takeout, Arokodare Damil Ebenezer in connection with the shipment of 60 parcels of Loud, a strong strain of cannabis, from the United States of America to Nigeria.
The spokesman of the NDLEA, Femi Babafemi said the 43-year-old businessman was arrested at Bay Lounge, Admiralty Way, Lekki area of Lagos where he does his illicit drug business last Monday while he was expecting to take the delivery of his latest drug consignment.

Babafemi said the suspect arrest followed the seizure of his cargo that arrived Nigeria in seven big cartons at a logistics company in Lagos on 12th March by NDLEA operatives of the Directorate of Operations and General Investigation
(DOGI).
After his arrest, he was taken to his Lekki home for a search during which 94 grammes of the same psychoactive substance, cannabis crusher and other drug paraphernalia were recovered, bringing the total weight of the drug seized from him to 32.24 kilogrammes.
In his statement, he claimed he started the illicit drug business in 2017.
Attempt by another businessman Omoruyi Terry to export 1,400 pills of tramadol 225mg weighing 800 grammes to Italy has also been thwarted by NDLEA officers at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.
Babafemi said Omoruyi was intercepted at the screening point of terminal 2 of the Lagos airport on his way to Italy via a Qatar Airways flight. Investigation reveals the suspect is an Italy based frequent traveler and logistics agent.
In Katsina, four suspects: Baraka Abubakar, 40; Haruna Alitine, 23; Muhammad Babangida, 20; and Hamisu Lawal, were arrested last Friday during an intelligence led raid operation at Godai village in Daura local government area where 684 blocks of compressed skunk, a strain of cannabis weighing 423 kilogrammes and 86,000 pills of diazepam were recovered from them. The three male suspects were arrested while repackaging the diazepam tablets into other containers while Baraka, the female suspect was apprehended with the heaps of skunk in her house.
The NDLEA spokesman said not less than 13,198 kilogrammes of cannabis sativa were destroyed in Edo forests across parts of the state between last Monday and Friday by NDLEA operatives who also evacuated 158 kilogrammes of same substance for possible prosecution.
He disclosed that the forests where no fewer than four cannabis plantations were discovered and destroyed include: Uhen forest, Ovia North East local government area. Sobe, Owan West local government area; and Amahor forest in Igueben local government area.
In Niger state, NDLEA officers on patrol along Mokwa-Jebba road last Friday intercepted a black Toyota Corolla car marked SLM 137 SV and arrested the two occupants in possession of 179 blocks of compressed skunk with a total weight of 77.6 kilogrammes concealed in false bottom of the vehicle. The two suspects are: Paul Christopher, 46, and Lucky Anumie. In another operation, 50 kilogrammes skunk was on Saturday recovered from the home of a suspect, Isa Iliya, who is currently at large, in Wawa village, Borgu council area of the state.
While 108.5kg of skunk was recovered from lockup shops at Aria New Market, in Enugu metropolis, Enugu state by NDLEA operatives last Tuesday, 25 kilogrammes of same substance was seized from a suspect Abdulrazak Saka at Kilako Area of Ilorin, Kwara State last Monday. Another suspect Sulk Saheed, 50, was nabbed with 2.5 kilogrammes of Ghanaian Loud and 515 grammes of Colorado, at Olomi Academy area of Ibadan, Oyo state.
Babafemi said with the same vigour, commands and formations of the agency across the country continued their War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization activities to schools, worship centres, work places and communities among others in the past week.
Meanwhile, the Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (Rtd) while commending the officers and men of MMIA, DOGI, Edo, Kwara, Niger, Enugu, Oyo and Katsina commands of the agency for the arrests and seizures, stated that their operational successes and those of their compatriots across the country especially their balanced approach to drug supply reduction and drug demand reduction efforts are well appreciated. He extended eid-el-fitr greetings to them, their families, other stakeholders and Nigerians at large.
He added that: “May the spirit of obedience and sacrifice that defines this special day guide and strengthen us as we remain steadfast in our pursuit of a drug-free society. May Allah continue to bless and guide us and may our collective efforts bring us closer to a safer and healthier society for all.”
Businessman Arrested Over Illicit Drug Shipments from US into Nigeria
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics7 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident