Connect with us

News

ICRC, NEDC Provide Aid to Victims of Gwoza Bomb Attacks

Published

on

ICRC, NEDC Provide Aid to Victims of Gwoza Bomb Attacks

By: Michael Mike

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and the North East Development Commission (NEDC) have come to the aid of victims of Gwoza suicide attack.

The surgical team of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) supported the State Specialist Hospital of Maiduguri in performing lifesaving surgeries and in providing emergency treatment for people who were critically injured during the blasts in the town of Gwoza in the north-east.

According to a statement by the ICRC, 41 patients, including children and women, arrived in Maiduguri Hospital between Saturday and Sunday, some continue to receive the needed care, and the ICRC has provided medical drugs and consumables to support the hospital’s emergency response.

The statement quoting the deputy
head of the ICRC sub-delegation in Maiduguri, Diana Japaridze, said: “It is heart wrenching to see civilians killed and wounded,”“We strongly remind to all those involved in the fighting that civilians, especially children and women must be spared, and that hospitals must be sanctuaries of life, not scenes of deadly violence.”

The statement added that: “Indiscriminate attacks and attacks targeting civilians are strictly prohibited under international
humanitarian law. Healthcare facilities and personnel are also protected and must not be attacked. Attacks against hospitals have devastating humanitarian consequences, as these facilities are the only lifeline for sick and wounded.

“We will continue our support for the civilians who are bearing the brunt of more than a decade of armed conflict including those displaced and injured”. Ms. Japaridze added.

On its part, the North East Development Commission (NEDC) said it is liaising with the Borno State Government on how and what to do to assist the victims of the bomb explosion that claimed the lives of about 30 people and injured over 40 others in Gwoza.

The Managing Director/CEO, NEDC, Ambassador Goni Alkali stated this during his sympathy visit to the victims of the Gwoza bomb blast at the Maiduguri State Specialist Hospital.

The NEDC MD who was received and conduct round the emergency ward of the hospital by the Chief Medical Director, Dr. Baba Shehu Mohammed, assured that NEDC is already working on modalities and strategies on areas of support and assistance to the victims and their families as part of the commissions mandatory services to people and victims of conflict in the region.

The MD/CEO expressed deep sympathy over the pathetic situation and reaffirmed the commissions willingness and determination to assist the victims where necessary in collaboration with the state government.

Earlier the CMD of the hospital appreciated NEDC for the visit and sympathy while disclosing that about 20 victims have so far been discharged including those with minor injuries.

ICRC, NEDC Provide Aid to Victims of Gwoza Bomb Attacks

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Rescue INEC Official, Arrest Suspects After Election-Related Kidnapping Attempt in Cross River

Published

on

Troops Rescue INEC Official, Arrest Suspects After Election-Related Kidnapping Attempt in Cross River

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops have rescued an official of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and arrested three suspects following a reported kidnapping and disruption of election-related activities in Yakurr Local Government Area of Cross River State.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:15 p.m. on May 22 when two groups of suspected kidnappers stormed the venue of ADC primary elections at Wummy Hotel, Ekori community.

According to the sources, one of the groups abducted the INEC returning officer, forced him into a vehicle, and compelled him to transfer ₦70,000 before fleeing the scene.

The second group, operating on a motorcycle, reportedly carted away ballot boxes from the venue.

Following intelligence on the incident, troops in Yakurr Local Government Area laid an ambush on the fleeing suspects, successfully intercepting the vehicle and rescuing the kidnapped INEC official.

Three suspects were arrested during the operation, while one armed suspect reportedly escaped into nearby bush with a pistol, a mobile phone, ATM card, travelling bag and other election materials.

The rescued official, arrested suspects and recovered vehicle are currently in military custody for further investigation and action.

Security forces have intensified efforts to track down the fleeing suspects and recover the stolen electoral materials.

Troops Rescue INEC Official, Arrest Suspects After Election-Related Kidnapping Attempt in Cross River

Continue Reading

News

Troops Raid Suspected Cultists’ Hideout, Arrest Three in Enugu State

Published

on

Troops Raid Suspected Cultists’ Hideout, Arrest Three in Enugu State

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of 103 Battalion, in collaboration with the Nigeria Police Force, have raided a suspected cultists’ hideout in Achi town, Oji River Local Government Area of Enugu State, arresting three suspects and recovering items believed to be linked to criminal activities.

Security sources disclosed that the operation was carried out at about 4:30 a.m. on May 23 following credible intelligence on the activities of suspected cultists and other criminal elements operating in the area.

According to the sources, the troops stormed a residential building suspected to be used as a hideout by the criminal group.

During the raid, three suspects were apprehended, while items recovered include eight motorcycles and two buckets of locally made gunpowder.

The suspects and recovered items were subsequently handed over to the Nigeria Police Force for further investigation and necessary action.

Security authorities have continued to intensify joint operations in Enugu State and surrounding areas to curb cult-related activities and other forms of violent crime.

Troops Raid Suspected Cultists’ Hideout, Arrest Three in Enugu State

Continue Reading

News

Troops Launch Manhunt for Berom Militia After Attack on Cattle in Plateau Community

Published

on

Troops Launch Manhunt for Berom Militia After Attack on Cattle in Plateau Community

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 4 Operation Enduring Peace have launched efforts to track down Berom Militia following an attack on cattle in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources disclosed that the troops responded to a distress report at about 5:12 p.m. on May 23 concerning an attack on cattle belonging to a local herder identified as Alhaji Tambari at Gassa village.

According to the sources, the cattle were grazing in the area when the attackers struck and fled before the arrival of security personnel.

Upon reaching the scene, troops discovered that one cow had been shot dead during the incident.

The Berom militia were said to have escaped from the area before security operatives arrived.

Troops have since intensified efforts to identify and apprehend those responsible for the attack while patrols have been heightened within the community and surrounding areas to prevent further incidents.

Security authorities reiterated the commitment of Operation Enduring Peace to protecting lives and property and maintaining peace in communities across Plateau State.

Troops Launch Manhunt for Berom Militia After Attack on Cattle in Plateau Community

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights