Connect with us

Crime

IIP-SARS GIVES ABBA KYARI’S LAWYER ONE MORE CHANCE

Published

on

IIP-SARS Present Final Report on Human Rights Violations. 

IIP-SARS GIVES ABBA KYARI’S LAWYER ONE MORE CHANCE

By: Michael Mike

The Independent Investigation Panel on Human Rights Violations by the defunct SARS and other units of the Nigerian Police Force (IIP-SARS) on Wednesday gave Abdullahi Haruna (SAN) who is counsel to the suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Abba Kyari one more chance to appear before it in respect of pending petitions involving the DCP.

Dr Garba Tetengi (SAN) gave this directive before adjourning till April 20th, 2022, a petition of alleged unlawful arrest and detention, torture, cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment brought against Abba Kyari and Inspector General of Police.

Tetengi (SAN) recalled that Abba Kyari’s lawyer had in his letter to the panel stated that he was briefed by his client to take over all the petitions involving him (Kyari).

He said that one week was earlier given Kyari’s lawyer to appear for his client to enable the panel find out the truth in several petitions where his name was mentioned as respondent.

The eminent panelist who represented the Chairman of the Panel, Justice Suleiman Galadima (rtd) said that following the said request by  Barrister Haruna SAN the panel directed its Secretariat headed by Mr Hilary Ogbonna Esq. to obliged him with the necessary petitions and proceedings related thereto, thus he expressed surprised that the counsel was not present before the panel today (Wednesday 30th March, 2022.

Also Read: NSCDC arrest 2 trucks laden with suspected adulterated…

The panel therefore gave Abba Kyari’s lawyer another opportunity to do the needful, since he was communicated to know that the matter would come up today and he needed to cross-examine the petitioner’s witnesses.

On that note, lead counsel to the Police, James Idachaba informed the panel that his team are no longer appearing for Abba Kyari in the petition saying that he now has a counsel in the person of Abdullahi Haruna (SAN).

“The Police legal team will henceforth be appearing for the IGP only in respect of this matter”, Idachaba added.

It would be recalled that some members of the families of the  victims including Ismail Marungo and Blessing Choji  had on the 3rd of March, 2022 prayed the panel for an order to compel the Police to release  three victims, Yakubu Danjuma, Ibrahim Daniel and Choji Dung who were arrested and detained between the 13th and 17th of December, 2019.

However, till date, the Police is yet to release the said victims even as the victims family members alleged that there was a court order directing the Police to either release the three detainees immediately or charge them to court.

Against the foregoing and following the testimonies of some of the family members of the detained persons, the panel earlier ordered that the three victims be produced before it on the 11th of March, 2022 and that was not obeyed till date.

The petition was adjourned till 20th of April, 2022 for cross-examination and continuation of hearing.

In another development, the case file of the alleged unlawful detention, death in Police custody and extortion was admitted as exhibit before the IIP-SARS on Wednesday (30th of March, 2022).

The panel had earlier ordered the Police to produce the said case file containing their records of investigation of Samuel Adagbor (deceased) for alleged criminal conspiracy and human trafficking.

Inspector Sunday Sylvester had on 29th of March, 2022 testified before the panel that the victim, while he was alive reportedly dealt on human body parts which information led to his arrest, detention and investigation.

However, Gabriel Egbule, counsel to the petitioner,  Barrister Peace Adagbo, had told the panel while cross-examining Inspector Sylvester that the deceased was a mortician and not a human parts dealer as alleged by the Police witness.

The panel gave the Police counsel and petitioner’s lawyer one day each to file their final written addresses addresses and also adjourned for report.

IIP-SARS GIVES ABBA KYARI’S LAWYER ONE MORE CHANCE

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Six Arrested as Farmers, Herders Clash in Adamawa

Published

on

Six Arrested as Farmers, Herders Clash in Adamawa

By: Zagazola Makama

The Adamawa State Police Command has arrested six suspects following a clash between farmers and herders in Waduku, Lamurde Local Government Area, which resulted in injuries to a villager and 11 cattle.

Sources told Zagazola Makama that the incident occurred around 4:30 p.m. on April 2 when some herders allegedly trespassed into a rice farm and caused damage to the crops.

In retaliation, angry youths from the village attacked the herders, injuring their cattle and wounding one person identified as Righteous Boti from Nzumoso Village.

Security personnel visited the scene and held an emergency meeting with local stakeholders to prevent further escalation of violence.

The arrested suspects include Rabo Buba, 31; Ahmadu Adamu, 20; Stephen Pwagwadi, 17; Shadrach Simon, 19; Lot Gad, 20; and Righteous Boti, 27.

The injured individuals received treatment at the Tingno Primary Health Care Clinic and have since been discharged.

Six Arrested as Farmers, Herders Clash in Adamawa

Continue Reading

Crime

15 Arrested as Clash Between Nomadic Fulani and Hausa Community Leads to Fatality in Zamfara

Published

on

15 Arrested as Clash Between Nomadic Fulani and Hausa Community Leads to Fatality in Zamfara

By: Zagazola Makama

A deadly clash broke out between members of the nomadic Fulani and Hausa communities at Dan Sokoto Model Primary School in Bungudu Township, Zamfara State, during the celebration of Eid-El-Fitr on April 1, 2025.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the altercation resulted in the death of 17-year-old Abbas Sani, a resident of Kuga Village.

He was found in a pool of blood and was rushed to General Hospital Bungudu, where he was confirmed dead by medical personnel. The body was subsequently deposited at the hospital morgue.

In response to the incident, security forces launched an intensive raid in the area, leading to the arrest of 15 suspects.

15 Arrested as Clash Between Nomadic Fulani and Hausa Community Leads to Fatality in Zamfara

Continue Reading

Crime

Two Soldiers Attacked by Gunmen in Kaduna

Published

on

Two Soldiers Attacked by Gunmen in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Two soldiers from the 312 Battalion Kalapanzi Barracks in Kaduna were attacked by armed assailants on April 2, 2025, at Babar Saura around 4:41 PM.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makaka that three attackers, armed with sophisticated weapons, shot the soldiers, leaving one, Corporal James (surname unknown), dead, and Private Ibrahim Bazalla injured. The assailants stole two AK-47 rifles from the soldiers before fleeing the scene.

The victims were rushed to the 44 Army Reference Hospital, where Corporal James was confirmed dead, while Private Bazalla is receiving medical treatment for his injuries.

Following a coordinated operation by the military, police and vigilante groups, the assailants were tracked to Degel2, Kaduna, where they abandoned a silver Toyota Corolla. As they attempted to escape, the attackers snatched a white Toyota Venza from a civilian, Abdullahi Mohammed, of Badarawa, Kaduna.

Efforts to arrest the suspects and recover the stolen vehicle are ongoing.

Two Soldiers Attacked by Gunmen in Kaduna

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights