News
IOM Says Plans Underway to Encourage Skilled Nigerians to Stay Back to Develop Their Homeland
IOM Says Plans Underway to Encourage Skilled Nigerians to Stay Back to Develop Their Homeland
By: Michael Mike
The United Nations International Organisation for Migration (IOM) has promised to continue deepening cooperation with Nigeria to tackle issues about irregular migration, stating that plans are underway to encourage people with skills to stay in the country and assist in its development instead of taking a walk out in search of the Golden Fleece.
The IOM Chief of Mission, Laurent De Boeck, made the disclosure on Monday in Abuja during the “End of Year” media briefing of the organisation.
The event, according to him, was designed to commemorate the International Migrant Day with the theme:”Act today for better future.”
He noted that the briefing has become important to promote discussion on issues about migration management, crisis response, internal-displacement, counter-trafficking, climate change and trending topics in specialised areas of humanitarian intervention.
De Boeck said: “We are reinforcing our cooperation with the Federal and the State levels, for answering characteristics of migration level and for achieving good reception in the country.
“Thanks to the fact that the country is in global compact on migration.
“There is a network on migration among various ministries, which will help us to comprehensively promote involvement of different MDAS on the team of migration.
“This is key for us to ensure that the Federal level and State level have the response level aligned to the national policies and frameworks.”
He said although the organisation currently operate in 30 states and the Federal Capital Territory, it would expand its frontiers to tackle issues about displaced population.
The IOM Head disclosed that measures had been put in place to help displaced population and affected communities, as well as to establish peace and reconciliation processes there.
De Boeck said the year 2023 has witnessed unprecedented increases in global migration, propelled by factors such as climate change, conflict, and economic disparities.
He said: “In the face of this complex landscape, our responsibility to respond critically and compassionately is more crucial than ever, particularly for the individuals directly affected.”
He added that: “In the realm of Migration Health, our efforts in 2023 have demonstrated a steadfast commitment to comprehensive healthcare. We conducted over 260,000 Pre-Departure Medical Health Assessments (PDMHAs), diagnosed and referred 166 migrants with TB, administered 15,000 vaccine doses, and renovated three public hospitals. This reflects our dedication to ensuring the well-being of those undertaking the journey of migration.
“Through collaborating closely with the Federal Government of Nigeria, IOM facilitated the voluntary return of 4,431 Nigerians, with 2,909 finding accommodation at the Migrant Transit Centre. Since 2017, a total of 34,158 migrants have returned, and 2,853 have received reintegration assistance, contributing to a grand total of 21,713 reintegrated since 2017. Our support extends beyond mere return, with the establishment of reintegration hubs and the implementation of community-based reintegration projects, providing crucial assistance to returnees and their communities.”
He equally added that: “IOM’s Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) services have been instrumental in reaching 106,947 individuals in 2023.
“These services offer material assistance, psychosocial support, and referral services to victims of trafficking, persons with disabilities, and vulnerable households, underscoring our commitment to holistic support.
In our unwavering dedication to protection, IOM identified and supported 682 victims of trafficking in 2023. Our focus on vulnerable groups, including survivors of gender-based violence, persons with disabilities, and unaccompanied and separated children, is reflected in the development of policy documents such as Family Tracing SOPs and BIP guidelines.”
He advised that: “On this International Migrants Day, let us work hand in hand to harness the power of migration, recognizing that every person can make a difference and be an agent of positive change. Our collective actions today will shape a brighter and more inclusive future.”
IOM Says Plans Underway to Encourage Skilled Nigerians to Stay Back to Develop Their Homeland
News
U.S. to Deploy Wireless Technology to Nigeria, Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana and Nigeria
U.S. to Deploy Wireless Technology to Nigeria, Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana and Nigeria
By: Michael Mike
The U.S. Trade and Development Agency has announced plans to deepen the deployment of American wireless technology in West Africa, targeting underserved rural communities in Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana and Nigeria.
The agency said it is funding a feasibility study for the installation of about 1,500 turnkey mobile communications base stations using technology developed by Vanu Inc. as part of efforts to bridge the region’s digital connectivity gap and provide an alternative to Chinese-made telecommunications infrastructure that currently dominates the market.
According to the U.S. agency, the project is aimed at expanding trusted and secure broadband access to millions of people in off-grid and rural communities that still rely on outdated 2G and 3G networks or have no access at all.
Deputy Director of the U.S. Trade and Development Agency, Thomas R. Hardy, said the initiative would unlock affordable internet access while also creating export opportunities for American firms.
“USTDA is bringing private sector solutions to unlock widespread, affordable, trusted internet access in off-grid communities across West Africa,” Hardy said.
“By helping American companies compete in these critical markets, we are offering an alternative to insecure infrastructure while creating export opportunities that make America more prosperous.”
The study will be undertaken for Vanu Côte d’Ivoire, with Vernonburg Group LLC providing technical expertise to assess the commercial viability of the large-scale rollout and mobilise financing for implementation.
Officials said the assessment would examine existing telecommunications infrastructure, market conditions, regulatory frameworks and financing options across the four countries.
The proposed deployment is expected to create opportunities for the expansion of U.S.-made wireless solutions, digital infrastructure systems and network management technologies across West Africa.
Chief Executive Officer of Vanu Inc., Andrew Beard, said the initiative would demonstrate that broadband connectivity in difficult and underserved markets could be profitable and sustainable.
He noted that the company’s systems were designed to help mobile network operators provide broadband internet and voice services in economically challenging locations using cost-effective technology built on open interfaces and architectures.
Beard added that the study would help stimulate investment, boost U.S. exports and accelerate the rollout of secure digital infrastructure globally.
The project comes amid growing competition between the United States and China over digital infrastructure development in Africa, where Chinese firms have played a dominant role in telecommunications expansion over the past decade.
The U.S. Trade and Development Agency said the initiative aligns with its mandate of supporting critical infrastructure projects in emerging markets while promoting the deployment of trusted U.S. technologies and services.
U.S. to Deploy Wireless Technology to Nigeria, Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana and Nigeria
News
Zulum Visits Uba, Chibok Communities, Vows Rescue of Abducted Schoolchildren
Zulum Visits Uba, Chibok Communities, Vows Rescue of Abducted Schoolchildren
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, on Tuesday visited Uba town to sympathise with parents of schoolchildren recently abducted in Mussa community, assuring residents that all efforts were being intensified to secure the safe release of the victims.
Governor Zulum, who has consistently visited communities affected by insecurity to console victims and assess the situation firsthand, met with parents of the abducted children at the palace of the Emir of Uba.
Addressing the gathering, the governor conveyed his heartfelt sympathy to the Emir, the parents of the abducted children and the entire people of the Uba Emirate over the unfortunate incident.
“I want to convey my deepest sympathy to the Emir of Uba, parents of the abducted children and the entire people of Uba Emirate over the recent unfortunate incident,” Zulum stated.
“Let me assure you that the Federal Government under the distinguished leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian Armed Forces and Borno State Government will do everything possible to secure the release of the children,” he assured.
The governor commended the military and other security agencies for taking proactive measures to prevent further deterioration of the security situation in the area.
He disclosed that the Brigade Commander, Commanding Officer, Divisional Police Officer and other heads of security establishments had already been deployed to strengthen security and facilitate the safe return of the abducted children.
Governor Zulum also pledged to fortify security in Askira, Uba and adjoining communities to prevent a recurrence of similar incidents.
“We have made frantic efforts to stabilize Askira, Uba and adjoining communities through reinforcing security in these areas,” he said.
The governor appealed to the abductors to release the innocent children, noting that they were minors who required the care and protection of their parents.
He further called on residents of the Uba Emirate and the entire people of Borno State to intensify prayers, especially during the first 10 days of the holy month of Dhul Hijjah.
Speaking during the visit, the Emir of Uba, Alhaji Ali Ibn Isma’ila Mamza II revealed that the incident occurred on Friday, 15 May, when 48 persons were abducted in Mussa community, including 37 primary school pupils, six secondary school students and five other residents.
The monarch commended Governor Zulum for his unwavering commitment to addressing insecurity, uniting the people of the state and supporting the emirate.
Also speaking, a representative of the Mussa community, Dr. Chinapi Amanja, appreciated the governor for the visit and acknowledged the deployment of senior military officers and other security personnel to the area.
…Zulum Condoles Chibok Communities
In a related development, Governor Zulum also visited Chibok town to commiserate with communities affected by recent attacks in parts of Chibok Local Government Area.
Addressing district heads, village heads, council members and other stakeholders, the governor said he was deeply saddened by the attacks, which claimed several lives and left many others injured.
“I purposely came to Chibok to sympathize with you over the recent attacks in some parts of the local government which claimed many lives and left others injured,” Zulum said.
“I want to assure you that the Federal Government, Nigerian Armed Forces and the Borno State Government will do everything possible to avert the recurrence of such incidents,” he added.
The governor urged residents to remain calm and law-abiding, assuring them that government was making concerted efforts to restore normalcy in the area through the deployment of additional troops.
He also prayed for the repose of the souls of those who lost their lives and asked God to grant their families the fortitude to bear the loss.
Speaking on behalf of the affected communities, the District Head of Garu, Engr. Zannah Madu, appreciated the governor for the visit and for the continued government intervention in addressing security challenges in the area.
Governor Zulum was accompanied on the visits by the member representing Chibok/Damboa/Gwoza Federal Constituency, Hon. Ahmed Jaha; Acting Chief of Staff to the Governor, Dr. Babagana Mustapha Malumbe; Commissioner for Information and Internal Security, Professor Usman Tar; Permanent Secretary, Government House and Security, Barrister Mustapha Busuguma; Special Adviser on Monitoring, Engr. Baba Bukar Gujbawu; and Special Adviser on Media, Dauda Iliya.
Zulum Visits Uba, Chibok Communities, Vows Rescue of Abducted Schoolchildren
News
Rainy season: NEMA strengthens disaster preparedness, community resilience in Gombe
Rainy season: NEMA strengthens disaster preparedness, community resilience in Gombe
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Monday engaged relevant stakeholders in Gombe State on the National Preparedness and Response Campaign (NPRC) 2026.
This is part of ongoing nationwide efforts aimed at strengthening disaster preparedness and community resilience across the state and country.
In her keynote address, the Director General NEMA, Mrs. Zubaida Abubakar Umar represented by the North-East Zonal Director of NEMA, Mr Suleiman Yakubu stated that the campaign was designed to drive early and coordinated action to protect lives and livelihoods during this year’s rainy season.
Also speaking at the engagement, the Head of NEMA Gombe Operations Office, Hajia Ummuna Ahmed, commended the community members and stakeholders for their cooperation and commitment toward disaster preparedness.
Ahmed stressed the importance of early warning information, community participation, and proactive measures in reducing the impact of disasters on lives and livelihoods.
In his presentation on Disaster Risk Reduction Measures, Dr Terungwa Igue specified the various sectorial roles in reducing risks associated with floods.
Igue assured stakeholders of NEMA’s continued commitment to strengthening preparedness initiatives, enhancing public awareness, and promoting safer and more resilient communities across Gombe State.
The engagement further demonstrated the shared commitment of all stakeholders toward fostering safer, better informed, and disaster resilient communities throughout the state.
The team carried out extensive community sensitisation and engagement activities in Wuro Juli Community in Akko LGA of Gombe State.
The sensitisation continued on Tuesday at Yamaltu Emirate in Yamaltu Deba LGA where the Emir of Yamaltu, Alhaji Abubakar Aliyu appreciated NEMA for always coming to sensitise them and charged all the 14 Hakimis who represented 14 villages to take the messages to their domain.
The community engagement exercise focused on enhancing disaster preparedness, promoting early warning awareness, and building community resilience against potential hazards and emergencies, particularly flood related.
The exercise was conducted in collaboration with the Gombe State Emergency Management Agency (GOSEMA), Local Emergency Management Committees (LEMCs), and community leaders, whose active participation and support contributed immensely to the success of the campaign.
The collaboration further reinforced the collective commitment toward disaster risk reduction and effective emergency response at the grassroots level.
Rainy season: NEMA strengthens disaster preparedness, community resilience in Gombe
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
