News
MSF Raises the Alarm, Malnutrition Records Now Overwhelming in North East
MSF Raises the Alarm, Malnutrition Records Now Overwhelming in North East
By: Michael Mike
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) otherwise called Doctors Without Borders has raised the alarm that inpatient facilities in northern Nigeria have recorded an extraordinary increase in admissions of severely malnourished children with life-threatening complications, exceeding last year’s figures by over 100 per cent in some locations.
The organisation in a statement on Tuesday said the latest figure was the result of admission records in the last few weeks at facilities in the area, insisting that for MSF teams, this is an alarming indication of a premature peak of the lean season and the increase in acute malnutrition that accompanies it, typically anticipated in July.

Speaking on the situation, the MSF’s Country Representative in Nigeria, Dr Simba Tirima said: “We are resorting to treating patients on mattresses on the floor because our facilities are full. Children are dying. If immediate action is not taken, more lives hang in the balance. Everyone needs to step in to save lives and allow the children of northern Nigeria to grow free from malnutrition and its disastrous long-term, if not fatal, consequences.
“Humanitarian assistance must be urgently scaled up. MSF calls upon the Nigerian authorities, international organisations and donors to take immediate action to diagnose and treat malnourished children to prevent associated complications and deaths, but also to engage in sustained, long-term initiatives to mitigate the underlying causes of this urgent problem.
“We’ve been warning about the worsening malnutrition crisis for the last two years. 2022 and 2023 were already critical, but an even grimmer picture is unfolding in 2024. We can’t keep repeating these catastrophic scenarios year after year. What will it take to make everyone take notice and act?” Tirima added.
According to the statement, in April 2024, MSF’s medical team in Maiduguri in northeast Nigeria admitted 1250 severely malnourished children with complications to the inpatient therapeutic feeding centre, doubling the figure for April 2023. Forced to urgently scale up capacity, by the end of May the centre accommodated 350 patients, far surpassing the 200 beds initially designated for the peak malnutrition season in July and August.
Also in the northeast, the MSF-operated facility in Bauchi state’s Karfin Madaki hospital recorded a significant 188 per cent increase in admissions of severely malnourished children during the first three months of 2024 compared to the same period in 2023.
The statement added that in the northwestern part of the region, in Zamfara state, the inpatient centres in Shinkafi and Zurmi have received up to 30 per cent more monthly admissions in April compared to March. Talata Mafara’s facility saw about 20 per cent increase in the same period. Similarly, MSF inpatient facilities in major cities like Kano and Sokoto are also reporting alarming surges, by 75 and 100 per centrespectively. The therapeutic feeding centre in Kebbi state also documented a rise of more than 20 per cent in inpatient admissionsfrom March to April.
The statement read that despite the alarming situation, the overall humanitarian response remains inadequate. Other non-profit organisations active in the north are also overwhelmed. The United Nations and Nigerian authorities issued an urgent appeal in May for $306.4 million to address the pressing nutritional needs in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe states. Yet this will be insufficient, ignoring as it does other parts of northern Nigeria where needs also outweigh the currentcapacity of the organisations to respond sufficiently.
It added that the catastrophic nutritional situation seen in recent years in northern Nigeria calls for a bigger response. Persistently excluded from the formal humanitarian response, reductions in the already limited funding available for the northwest have also dangerously affected the provision of crucial therapeutic and supplementary food. These supplies were completely unavailable in Zamfara for the first four months of this year and are now only available in lower quantities. This reduction has meant that it is only possible to provide treatment for more severe malnutrition cases, compromising an effective response that also addresses malnutrition earlier in its progression and avoids exposing children to a higher risk of mortality.
Tirima said: “We are alarmed by the reduction in aid at these critical times. Reducing nutritional support to only severely malnourished children is akin to waiting for a child to become gravely ill beforeproviding care. We urge donors and authorities to increase supporturgently for both curative and preventive approaches, ensuring that all malnourished children receive the care they desperately need.”
MSF Raises the Alarm, Malnutrition Records Now Overwhelming in North East
News
Spate in Bloodshed in the North: KACRAN Calls for Diplomatic Solution
Spate in Bloodshed in the North: KACRAN Calls for Diplomatic Solution
By: Michael Mike
As fresh waves of violence leave communities in mourning across Northern Nigeria, the Kulen Allah Vitality Self-Reliance Association (KACRAN) has called for an immediate diplomatic surge to end the spiraling insecurity that has claimed more than 200 lives in recent attacks in Niger and Kwara states.
In a statement issued on Sunday, the association condemned what it described as a relentless cycle of killings, kidnappings and livestock rustling that has devastated families and crippled rural economies.
It also decried the reported abduction of 176 persons in parts of Kwara State, urging security agencies to ensure their swift and unconditional release.
KACRAN said while the military has continued to confront armed groups across the region, force alone cannot deliver lasting peace.
“Permanent peace is built on trust, dialogue and unity of purpose, not bullets alone,” the association said, warning that prolonged militarisation of internal conflicts risks creating more complex and entrenched crises.
The group acknowledged ongoing security interventions under President Bola Tinubu and commended the leadership of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, as well as the Chief of Defence Staff, Christopher Musa.
It praised the sacrifices of troops on the frontlines but expressed concern that despite a defence budget exceeding N5 trillion in 2026, attacks continue in several communities.
According to KACRAN, the persistence of violence suggests the need for a complementary political and diplomatic framework to address the root causes of instability, including poverty, youth unemployment, communal mistrust and competition over land and grazing resources.
The association proposed what it termed a “diplomatic roadmap” anchored on three key pillars: coordinated leadership among Northern governors and stakeholders; structured dialogue to rebuild trust between affected communities; and economic reinvestment in agriculture and youth empowerment.
It stressed that redirecting resources toward job creation, infrastructure and holistic agricultural development — spanning crop farming, livestock and fisheries — would undercut the economic incentives driving criminality.
“Peace and security in the North is the bedrock of peace in Nigeria,” said Hon. Khalil Bello, National President of KACRAN, urging Northern leaders to close ranks and take collective responsibility for restoring stability.
The North has faced years of overlapping security challenges, from banditry and kidnapping to farmer-herder clashes and organized criminal networks. Entire villages have been displaced, schools shut down and farmlands abandoned, worsening food insecurity and economic hardship.
Security analysts note that while military operations have recorded tactical successes, the absence of sustained dialogue and socio-economic reforms has allowed violence to resurface in cycles.
KACRAN warned that Nigeria must avoid the prolonged instability seen in conflict-ridden nations, emphasizing that unity and inclusive engagement remain the only viable path to sustainable peace.
Spate in Bloodshed in the North: KACRAN Calls for Diplomatic Solution
News
Nigerians in Diaspora Commission Boss Demands Justice Over Killing of Nigerian Driver in South Africa
Nigerians in Diaspora Commission Boss Demands Justice Over Killing of Nigerian Driver in South Africa
By: Michael Mike
The Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, has strongly condemned the killing of a 22-year-old Nigerian e-hailing driver, Isaac Satlet, in Pretoria, South Africa, describing the incident as deeply troubling and unacceptable.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Sunday, Dabiri-Erewa called on South African authorities to ensure the immediate arrest and prosecution of all those involved in the crime. She said the recurring cases of violence and criminal attacks against Nigerians living in South Africa have become a serious source of concern.
The NiDCOM boss noted that Nigeria and South Africa share a long history of diplomatic, economic and historical ties, rooted in solidarity during the anti-apartheid struggle, however expressing disappointment that despite this relationship, some individuals continue to perpetrate violent crimes against fellow Africans.
Dabiri-Erewa urged South African authorities to guarantee the protection of lives and property of non-indigenes, stressing that justice must not only be done but be seen to be done in the case of the murdered driver.
She reiterated the Commission’s resolve to strengthen rapid response protocols and institutionalise structured escalation mechanisms for handling diaspora-related emergencies. According to her, NiDCOM will intensify risk mapping strategies and deepen structured engagement with host authorities to improve the safety of Nigerians abroad.
Meanwhile, South African police have reportedly arrested a female suspect in connection with the brutal murder of Satlet, which occurred on February 11, 2026, in Pretoria West. The suspect is expected to appear before the Atteridgeville Magistrate’s Court on February 16, 2026, on charges of car hijacking and murder.
Police reports indicate that Satlet had picked up two passengers — a male and a female — through an e-hailing platform before he was attacked and his vehicle hijacked. His body and the stolen car were later discovered in Atteridgeville.
Dashcam footage reportedly captured part of the incident and played a crucial role in the swift arrest of the female suspect. Authorities are still searching for the male suspect, with further arrests anticipated.
The killing has sparked widespread outrage within the Nigerian community in South Africa and back home, with renewed calls for improved safety measures for e-hailing drivers who often operate in high-risk environments.
Satlet, described by friends and associates as hardworking and ambitious, was a student preparing to graduate next month. He had reportedly planned to pursue further studies in Canada, making his death even more devastating for his family and loved ones.
Over the past decade, diplomatic relations between Nigeria and South Africa have occasionally come under strain due to recurring xenophobic attacks and criminal incidents involving foreign nationals, including Nigerians. Several bilateral meetings and joint commissions have been convened to address concerns over citizens’ safety and promote cooperation on migration and security issues.
NiDCOM, established to engage and protect Nigerians in the diaspora, has repeatedly advocated structured frameworks with host countries to respond swiftly to emergencies affecting Nigerian nationals abroad. The Commission has also called for improved documentation, safety awareness, and collaboration between diaspora groups and local law enforcement agencies.
Dabiri-Erewa reaffirmed that while Nigeria respects the sovereignty of South Africa, the safety and protection of Nigerian citizens abroad remain non-negotiable.
Nigerians in Diaspora Commission Boss Demands Justice Over Killing of Nigerian Driver in South Africa
News
Kidnapped worshippers of St. John Catholic Church regain freedom in Benue, four suspects arrested
Kidnapped worshippers of St. John Catholic Church regain freedom in Benue, four suspects arrested
By: Zagazola Makama
The Benue State Police Command has confirmed the release of worshippers abducted during a night vigil at St. John Catholic Church, Ojeji, in Ado Local Government Area of the state.
Sources disclosed that the victims were freed unhurt following sustained search and rescue operations mounted by security operatives in the area.
In connection with the incident, two suspects, Abubakar Jibril and Ashiru Ibrahim, were earlier arrested on Feb. 11, 2026, by the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in Ado. The suspects were reportedly found in possession of five rounds of 7.62mm ammunition at the time of their arrest.
Further follow-up operations by the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) from Abuja, in collaboration with tactical teams, led to a raid on a hideout linked to one of the suspects. During the operation on Feb. 14, an AK-47 rifle and eight rounds of 7.62mm ammunition were recovered, while two additional suspects were arrested.
The suspects are believed to be involved in the kidnapping of worshippers during the church’s night vigil.
Authorities said investigations by the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) and the IRT are ongoing, with efforts intensified to track down other members of the syndicate.
Kidnapped worshippers of St. John Catholic Church regain freedom in Benue, four suspects arrested
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
