Connect with us

National News

N18.9 trillion Worth of Properties, 587 lives saved from fire in 2021

Published

on

N18.9 trillion Worth of Properties, 587 lives saved from fire in 2021

N18.9 trillion Worth of Properties, 587 lives saved from fire in 2021

By: Our Reporter

The Federal Fire Service (FFS) has saved properties worth N18.9 trillion from destruction by fire as well as 587 lives and rescued 260 persons in 2021.

This was revealed by the Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, at the decoration of newly promoted Deputy Controllers General (DCGs) of the Service in Abuja on Thursday.

According to the Minister, “Last year, the FSS responded to 2,845 SOS distress-calls in which 136 lives and property worth N3 trillion were lost. But the FSS was able to save 587 lives, rescue 260 persons and save property worth N18.9 trillion.

“In sum, the stock of the FSS has grown in leaps and bounds as the agency has contributed significantly to national security – in the protection of lives and property.”

He said the achievements were made possible through the interventions of the federal government between 2015 and now, noting that the President Muhammadu Buhari’s led administration has committed more resources into the Fire Service than since its creation in 1901.

He said: “The attention and resources devoted by the Buhari administration since 2015 is more than whatever has been put into it since its establishment in 1901. Between 2015 and 2020, the Federal Government provided 106 modern firefighting trucks to the FSS.

“Last year, the Federal Executive Council also approved (and have since been procured and deployed) N10.4 billion infrastructure upgrade comprising of 44 firefighting engines, 15 water tankers, 15 rapid intervention fire engines (not conventional ones) that can go into the nooks and crannies to respond to distress-calls and 20 basic life support ambulances. 

Also, 17 firefighting officers were sent to Belarus for an advanced trainer-training course. These officers are the master trainers that will be training other officers on modern firefighting, disaster and emergency management.”

Aregbesola commended the former m Controller General of the Service, Alhaji Liman Ibrahim, for his visionary leadership and invaluable contribution to the service, saying he will miss working with him.

“I must not fail to commend and thank the erstwhile CG, Ibrahim Liman, for his innovation, industry and perspicacity. He is the human instrument of revolutionary changes at the FSS. 

“His capacity to grasp issues and policies and make them actionable is legendary. I will miss working with him. I thank him for his invaluable services to the nation through the FSS. I pray that he will be happy and fulfilled in retirement and have resounding success in his endeavours.”

The Minister condemned the rising incidents of criminals, hoodlums and touts who attack firemen and their equipment while attending to fire emergencies, stating that the Service has now developed capacity to effectively contain and deter them.

He said: “One sad recurring phenomenon is touts and miscreants attacking firemen and their equipment whenever they respond to fire emergencies. This is deplorable and totally condemned. For this purpose, we have worked out modalities on armed escorts accompanying firemen on assignment, for the protection of their lives and the equipment.”

Also Read: PMB appoints Aliyu Tahir as NEMSA MD/CEO

Aregbesola congratulated the newly decorated DCGs, stating that DCG Karibo Samson will continue to lead in acting capacity until a substantive Controller General is appointed.

He said: “I would like to congratulate the newly appointed Acting CG and DCGs being decorated today – Karibo Samson, Jaji Olola Abdulganiyu, Agunloye Teslim Oluokun and Agu Callistus Kanny (rtd). Samson will mount the saddle of the service in acting capacity until a substantive CG is appointed.

“It is of particular interest to me when the Acting CG said he joined the service as a fireman. It means the service is an equal opportunity employer; every fireman has the potential to become the CG.”

Speaking at the event, the Secretary to the Civil Defence, Correctional Fire and Immigration Services Board, CDCFIB, Hajia Rufai Ahmed, read the citations of all the newly promoted DCGs and reasons why they were promoted. She urged them to live up to the billing.

Responding on behalf of newly promoted officers, Acting CG of the Federal Fire Service, DCG Karibo Samson thanked President Muhammadu Buhari for the confidence reposed in them, stating they won’t disappoint Nigerians in discharging the statutory responsibility to the public.

Also at the event were Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Dr. Shuaibu Belgore; Hon. Commissioner Appointment and Promotion CDCFIB, Maj. Gen. Emmanuel Etim Bassey (rtd); Hon. Commissioner Discipline and General Purposes CDCFIB, ACG Ado Abdullahi Ja’afar (rtd), Commandant General of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, CG Abubakar Audi; Controller General of the Nigerian Correctional Service, NCoS, CG Haliru Nababa, and other invited guests.

N18.9 trillion Worth of Properties, 587 lives saved from fire in 2021

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

Published

on

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Four Nigerian soldiers have sustained injuries in a vehicle accident on the Mambilla Plateau in Taraba State.

The accident occurred on Thursday while the troops were moving across the mountainous terrain of the area, Zagazola reports.

The Emir of Mambilla, Dr. Shehu Audu Baju, was said to have personally joined in the rescue operation to ensure that the soldiers received prompt assistance.

Following the rescue, the injured personnel were evacuated to the 20 Battalion Barracks in Serti for urgent medical care.

Community members and traditional leaders in the area have expressed sympathy and prayed for the speedy recovery of the soldiers, while also calling for the safety of other security operatives on duty.

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

Continue Reading

National News

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

Published

on

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

By: Michael Mike

The United Kingdom Nigeria Infrastructure Advisory Facility (UKNIAF), in partnership with the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF) have wrapped up a major national initiative to support State-led electricity market reforms.

The State Learning Workshop Series focused on Electricity Market Development, Integrated Resource Planning (IRP) and energy modelling software.

Workshops in Lagos, Calabar, Kano and Jos have been successfully completed, drawing participants from all the 36 States and the FCT and setting a strong precedent for what lies ahead.

These sessions equipped policymakers, regulators and stakeholders with the tools to design robust, sustainable and investor-ready electricity markets at the State level, in line with the provisions of the Electricity Act 2023.

Reflecting on the significance of this initiative, the Director-Legal/Head Power Desk at the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, Mr. Chijioke Chuku,, stated that: “Nigeria’s electricity future depends on the capacity of our States to lead with vision, clarity, and technical precision. Through the workshop series, we are equipping States not just with knowledge, but with the confidence to take charge of their electricity markets. The NGF is proud to partner with UKNIAF in ensuring that the promise of the Electricity Act 2023 becomes a lived reality across the country.”

The sessions in the State Learning Workshops covered: The legal and regulatory pathways for setting up State Electricity Markets; Commercial models for private sector investment; Integration of State plans into Nigeria’s National IRP;

Practical training on the software platform for energy modelling.

The initiative drew from lessons learned in the course of UKNIAF’s work supporting the Akwa Ibom, Enugu, and Oyo State Governments—early movers in electricity market development—in setting up their markets.

It also drew from experience gained in the course of UKNIAF providing technical support to the Federal Ministry of Power in drafting both the National Integrated Electricity Policy and Nigeria’s first National Integrated Resource Plan, both of which were approved very recently.

With States now empowered by the Electricity Act 2023, this series is a timely and strategic effort to ensure capacity, coordination, and sustainability in Nigeria’s decentralised energy landscape.

UKNIAF, NGF Advance Electricity Reform with Nationwide Workshop Series

Continue Reading

National News

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

Published

on

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

By: Zagazola Makama

Armed bandits have killed three persons and injured three others in an attack on Galadi town, Shinkafi Local Government Area of Zamfara.

Sources confirmed the incident saying the attack occurred at about 10:50 p.m. on Aug. 27.

The sources said the bandits stormed the town, shooting sporadically, which resulted in the deaths and injuries.

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were mobilised to the scene. The corpses and injured victims were evacuated to Galadi Primary Health Care Centre for autopsy and treatment.

Meanwhile, a manhunt for the fleeing culprits has been intensified, as the bandits escaped before the arrival of the joint forces,” the sources said.

Three killed, others injured in bandits’ attack on Zamfara community

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights