Connect with us

News

NEMA donates relief materials to flood victims in Niger

Published

on

NEMA donates relief materials to flood victims in Niger

NEMA donates relief materials to flood victims in Niger

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) donated relief materials to flood victims in Niger on Thursday in Minna.

The relief materials were presented by Dr Onimode Abdullahi, Director, Special Duties, who represented the NEMA Director-General, Malam Mustapha Ahmed.

He said the donation was part of the continuous collaboration between the agency and Niger government.

The relief materials are 2,500 bags of 10kg rice, 2,500 bags of 10kg Maize, and 2,500 bags of 10kg Beans, 100 kegs of vegetable oil and 200 cartoons of seasoning cubes.

Others are 300 bags of salts, 900 bags of 50kg cement, 100 bags of 25kg nails, 300 bundles of roofing sheets, 100 packets of zinc nails and 6,000 pieces of textiles.

Also in the donation are 6,000 prices of Guinea brocade, 6,000 pieces of men’s wear, 7,000 pieces of children’s wear, 7,000 pieces of women’s wear and 3,000 prices of plastic buckets.

Three thousand pieces of plates, 3,000 pieces of plastic cups, 200 pieces of spoons, 200 pieces of sanitary pads, 200 cartoons of toilet soap and 100 sets of four-in-one cooking pots are also part of the materials.

On top of that are 100 cooking stoves, 2,500 mattresses, 2,500 insecticide-treated mosquito nets, 2,500 nylon mats, 2,500 blankets and 2,500 bath towels.

Ahmed said the intervention was to assist flood victims to get back on their feet and restart normal lives, adding that the Federal Government was concerned about the welfare and wellbeing of the people of the state.

He appealed to the state government to take disaster risk governance to the grassroots through the setting up of Local Emergency Management Committees (LEMCs) in all council areas.

He also appealed to the state to set aside a predictable funding to the state’s Emergency Management Committee and the LEMCs to enable timely intervention and the saving of lives in the event of disasters.

Responding, Gov. Abubakar Sani-Bello appreciated President Muhammadu Buhari and NEMA for providing support to the flood victims.

He assured that the relief intervention would go a long way to alleviate the plight of victims.

The governor said the state government was making efforts to ensure that communities in flood prone areas were relocated to higher grounds and called for Federal Government’s support to that effect.

He also appealed to NEMA to visit the affected communities to assess the level of damage caused by flood to enable the agency to give more support to victims.

Gov. Bello was represented at the presentation by his deputy, Alhaji Ahmed Ketso.

NEMA donates relief materials to flood victims in Niger

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.

The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.

Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.

Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights